Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum Mobile
Wine, Beer, and Spirits>Cuban beer?
D. Generate 02:26 PM 09-14-2009
Anyone tried any? My wife just came home from Copenhagen and brought me a few beers, one is from Cuba. It's called Cubanero Fuerte made by Bucanero SA in Holguin Cuba.

I've never heard of it. My experience of drinking Cuban is limited to rum. Just wondering if anyone has experience and a cigar pairing idea. :-)
[Reply]
D. Generate 02:38 PM 09-14-2009
A rubbish iPhone picture.
Attached: photo.jpg (63.3 KB) 
[Reply]
the nub 03:02 PM 09-14-2009
Interesting. That beer is branded as Bucanero in Cuba. It's not bad for a fuller style of beer. They have a Bucanero Max that's 5.5% but I haven't tried it. The other one is Crystal which is a cross between Corona and Heiniken or something like that. It's a light beer and IMO probably the best beer in Cuba with a cigar. It's not really a great tasting beer but it does cleanse the palate. There is one that the locals drink called Mayabe that usually comes in a can- taste kind of like p*ss water.
[Reply]
D. Generate 02:59 PM 09-15-2009
I had a suspicion no one would come along and say 'it's amazing!'. I like Cuban cigars, Cuban music and some Cuban food. I find aside from the novelty as a Yank, I don't even really like Cuban rum that much. I figured Cuban beer would probably not be my thing.

I'll open it at some point in the near future and enjoy it for a novelty that came from Copenhagen. Then move on to something more appropriate. :-)
[Reply]
icehog3 03:01 PM 09-15-2009
I am with you, Dale, I love the 'gars, music and coffee...but I ain't gonna go out of my way for any Cuban brew. :-)
[Reply]
M1903A1 03:09 PM 09-15-2009
Originally Posted by icehog3:
I am with you, Dale, I love the 'gars, music and coffee...but I ain't gonna go out of my way for any Cuban brew. :-)
:-)

Personally I find Havana Club (as an example) tastes like it's watered down.
[Reply]
SkinsFanLarry 03:18 PM 09-15-2009
Cristal and Bucanero are the two most widely available Cuban beers, and both are quite bad. The novelty makes them worth trying, but don't expect much.

On the other hand, the best Cuban lager is called "Mayabe." Unlike Cristal and Bucanero, it's brewed outside of Havana (in Santa Clara, if I remember right), and most Cubans acknowledge that it's a better beer because the water in Santa Clara is much better.
[Reply]
D. Generate 03:36 PM 09-15-2009
Originally Posted by icehog3:
D'oh! I forgot the coffee. Yeah that's good too.
[Reply]
D. Generate 03:38 PM 09-15-2009
Originally Posted by SkinsFanLarry:
Cristal and Bucanero are the two most widely available Cuban beers, and both are quite bad. The novelty makes them worth trying, but don't expect much.

On the other hand, the best Cuban lager is called "Mayabe." Unlike Cristal and Bucanero, it's brewed outside of Havana (in Santa Clara, if I remember right), and most Cubans acknowledge that it's a better beer because the water in Santa Clara is much better.
According to the label it's brewed in Holguin. My Cuban geography is complete rubbish so maybe that is in Havana. Regardless, I expect it to be a novelty beer so I'm quite confident my expectations will be met or exceeded. :-)
[Reply]
The Poet 04:24 PM 09-15-2009
From the above comments, Dale, I gather that this beer is akin to your own avatar - looks very interesting, and certainly worth trying, but don't expect it not to taste like $#!+.
[Reply]
D. Generate 05:19 PM 09-15-2009
Originally Posted by The Poet:
From the above comments, Dale, I gather that this beer is akin to your own avatar - looks very interesting, and certainly worth trying, but don't expect it not to taste like $#!+.
Well done to you, sir. :-)

And with that, I think the thread is finished. :-)
[Reply]
SkinsFanLarry 05:33 PM 09-15-2009
Holguín is a municipality and city, the capital of the Cuban Province of Holguin.

Holguin and Havana are about 421 miles apart, Havana is close to the middle of the country and Holguin is closer to the southeastern coast.

The brewery Cerveceria Bucanero - a joint venture with Labatt of Canada - is based in Holguin. It makes three brands of beer (Bucanero, Cristal and Mayabe)
[Reply]
GWN 09:44 PM 09-15-2009
When you're being baked by the sun down there, Cristal goes down very well. Couldn't imagine pounding Guinness or the like in that heat. Used to be able to buy it here in our liquor stores, though I haven't seen it for a few years.
[Reply]
D. Generate 02:05 PM 09-16-2009
Oh, Labatts. My expectations have gone down.
[Reply]
JJG 02:42 PM 09-17-2009
hmm, sounds interesting. although I admit the only reason I'd be interested in trying Cuban beer would be the fact that we can't get it here. I did get a chance to try some Havana Club and it was decent.
[Reply]
D. Generate 03:42 PM 09-17-2009
I tried the beer. It was fizzy and alcoholic and might be well suited to a day under a hot sun but it was certainly nothing I would pursue again.

Although it did lack the 'twang' so it might have been fake. :-)
[Reply]
Tarks 09:21 PM 09-17-2009
Originally Posted by the nub:
The other one is Crystal which is a cross between Corona and Heiniken or something like that. It's a light beer and IMO probably the best beer in Cuba with a cigar.
I agree. The Crystal is the best Cuban beer! That is me in the middle.

[Reply]
Up