Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum Mobile
Page 29 of 42
« First < 19272829 303139 > Last »
Good Eats>Sous vide
mosesbotbol 11:06 AM 07-06-2017
Buy vacuum rolls on Amazon or EBay. I have a Wesco sealer that takes up to 18" wide bags! Super cheap online and as nice quality as any you can think of.
[Reply]
stearns 07:31 AM 07-07-2017
I recently bought a costco pack of food saver bags because I was out and wanted to use on that night, might not have been cheaper than the stuff from the internet but it was $40 for 3 big rolls (11x50?), one small roll (8x50?) and like 40 medium sized individual bags. That's enough to last me a very long time, so I didn't mind paying. It was on sale for $32 the month before, but I put off buying because I wasn't out yet :-)
[Reply]
stearns 08:01 AM 07-07-2017
Put some pork country ribs in the jacuzzi this morning, gonna go for about 12 hrs at 156* just rubbed with a little salt and pepper, not sure how I'm gonna finish them (maybe season up my cast iron grill pan) but they're gonna end up soaked in some of my new batch of bbq sauce I made on Tuesday, looking forward to trying it/them out :-)
[Reply]
CigarNut 09:11 AM 07-07-2017
Originally Posted by stearns:
I recently bought a costco pack of food saver bags because I was out and wanted to use on that night, might not have been cheaper than the stuff from the internet but it was $40 for 3 big rolls (11x50?), one small roll (8x50?) and like 40 medium sized individual bags. That's enough to last me a very long time, so I didn't mind paying. It was on sale for $32 the month before, but I put off buying because I wasn't out yet :-)
That's the same bundle that I get from Costco. I usually get 2 or 3 at a time :-)
[Reply]
stearns 03:44 PM 07-10-2017
Gave pork belly another shot yesterday, this time 24 hrs at 154*, took it out, drained and put in the fridge until I was ready to finish it up. I recently had belly at an asian restaurant that was amazing so I tried to mimic the style, cut into cubes and put under the broiler. Took the leftover sauce bag sauce and added some apple juice and cherries, reduced it down to a little looser than a syrup and put a spoonful of the good juice on top of each broiled cube along with a cherry half. Served that with a little seaweed salad and an Avery Ginger Sour (perfect pairing), overall delicious.

I think I preferred the higher temp/lower time from my last attempt more (170* 10 hrs), both were great but the texture of the higher temp was more "fall apart" than this one, which is what I expected just thought that I would like the lower temp version more. Guess I need more experimenting :-)
[Reply]
stearns 03:47 PM 07-10-2017
Also made mango chutney chicken ahead of time to eat for dinner Thursday, getting home on the late side from a trip and wanted something easy to make, just a little store bought chutney and some chicken breasts cut into strips, SV fat 147* for 2 hours and straight into the freezer. Gonna have it taken out Wednesday night to thaw and throw on a hot pan when I get back from the airport, if this is really as easy as it seems I'll be pre-making a bunch more meals in the future for similar situations, way better than pre-boxed heat up meals
[Reply]
pnoon 07:29 PM 07-10-2017
Also made mango chutney chicken ahead of time to eat for dinner Thursday, getting home on the late side from a trip and wanted something easy to make, just a little store bought chutney and some chicken breasts cut into strips, SV fat 147* for 2 hours and straight into the freezer. Gonna have it taken out Wednesday night to thaw and throw on a hot pan when I get back from the airport, if this is really as easy as it seems I'll be pre-making a bunch more meals in the future for similar situations, way better than pre-boxed heat up meals
Definitely let us know how that works out.
[Reply]
Chainsaw13 07:04 AM 07-11-2017
Prime day deal on the latest Anova device.

https://smile.amazon.com/Anova-Sous-...QZCTY0TJ182W73
[Reply]
T.G 08:01 AM 07-11-2017
Originally Posted by Chainsaw13:
Prime day deal on the latest Anova device.

https://smile.amazon.com/Anova-Sous-...QZCTY0TJ182W73

Yeah, $99 for the 800W Blue-Tooth is a great deal. Just bear in mind that the new multi-cook (multiple unit control) and multi-step (programmable automatic temp changes of the bath) app features might not be implemented for the BT 800W units. Only for the Wi-Fi and the Nano.

Now, if you don't care about the wireless whiz-bang stuff and just want a solid cooker and are ok running the temps with a more basic BT app or just the dial, then it's a great deal.

(I like reliability, so I don't use the app, I use the temp dial and an external timer.)
[Reply]
Tio Gato 01:56 PM 07-11-2017
As a low-tech guy I love the BT. That's a nice price.
[Reply]
pnoon 09:18 AM 07-12-2017
Trying my first long sous vide cook.

London Broil w/s&p and Kona Coffee BBQ rub. Just spent 60 minutes on the smoker. About to be bagged for sous vide - 133 for 7-8 hours.

Plan to finish with butter in a cast iron skillet.

I’ll try and remember to take pics when served.
[Reply]
stearns 09:24 AM 07-12-2017
That looks great, love a coffee rubbed steak but never actually done it myself, do you just do a fine grind and mix with s&p? I wish I had a smoker for things like this, I have a smoking gun that maybe I can play around with, but that will take a little experimentation :-)
[Reply]
pnoon 09:28 AM 07-12-2017
It was a premix my son brought back from Hawaii

[Reply]
stearns 09:52 AM 07-12-2017
Nice :-)
[Reply]
Tristan 04:52 PM 07-12-2017
Hey fellas. Things are looking mighty tasty in this thread. It's real early, but I sent a link to my wife for the Annova wifi as an idea for birthday or Christmas. I'm particularly interested in how smoking a brisket for a few hours and then throwing it in the Annova would turn out.
[Reply]
pnoon 04:54 PM 07-12-2017
Originally Posted by Tristan:
Hey fellas. Things are looking mighty tasty in this thread. It's real early, but I sent a link to my wife for the Annova wifi as an idea for birthday or Christmas. I'm particularly interested in how smoking a brisket for a few hours and then throwing it in the Annova would turn out.
Tristan - I don't think the WiFi is worth the extra dough. YMMV.

While not a brisket, I did a London Broil on the smoker this morning for 1 hour. It is in the sous vide now and will be pulled at around the 7.5 hour mark. Finishing in cast iron with butter. Hopefully more pics to follow.
[Reply]
pnoon 09:43 PM 07-12-2017
Originally Posted by pnoon:
Trying my first long sous vide cook.

London Broil w/s&p and Kona Coffee BBQ rub. Just spent 60 minutes on the smoker. About to be bagged for sous vide - 133 for 7-8 hours.

Plan to finish with butter in a cast iron skillet.

I’ll try and remember to take pics when served.
OMG. Beef was outstanding.

[Reply]
Chainsaw13 06:12 AM 07-13-2017
:-)
[Reply]
stearns 07:34 AM 07-13-2017
Damn, that looks delicious. How well did the smoke taste come through?
[Reply]
pnoon 08:19 AM 07-13-2017
Damn, that looks delicious. How well did the smoke taste come through?
Extremely well. Even with just an hour on the smoke.

A repeat of this effort is definitely in the cards.
[Reply]
Page 29 of 42
« First < 19272829 303139 > Last »
Up