Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum Mobile
Page 1 of 2
1 2 >
Accessory Discussion / Reviews>Need a Shopping List
DirtRider500R 09:52 PM 11-11-2013
Alrighty guys, I've decided that I need to go shopping for some.. "supplies" :-) In other words a good humi that holds 50+ (as my starter), a good cutter, a good lighter(for those windy days), and of course things to fill the humi.

As far as I've read, I should use the Gel beads to keep everything humid, and also that the Palio cutters are fantastic. What would you guys recommend humi, lighter, and stick wise?

Also, thanks to all of the veterans that have served! :-)
[Reply]
TJarv 09:57 PM 11-11-2013
If you don't care about what your humi looks like then I suggest a cooler. I have one and it couldn't be easier to maintain.

As far as lighter, go to Walmart and buy a Ronson. They run $3 - $4 and are a pretty decent lighter.

The sticks are the fun part. Buy a wide variety and see what you enjoy.

Welcome to the Asylum
[Reply]
Ogre 10:00 PM 11-11-2013
Originally Posted by TJarv:
If you don't care about what your humi looks like then I suggest a cooler. I have one and it couldn't be easier to maintain.

As far as lighter, go to Walmart and buy a Ronson. They run $3 - $4 and are a pretty decent lighter.

The sticks are the fun part. Buy a wide variety and see what you enjoy.

Welcome to the Asylum
Agree, CVS and Walgreens also carry the lighters. As for a cutter, I am a Xikar man.
[Reply]
T.G 10:25 PM 11-11-2013
I'll second Tony's comments about the cooler - if you don't care what it looks like, get a cooler or one of the big plastic storage tubs and some weather stripping.

Palio and Xikar both make good cutters, the owner of Palio is a member here and a real stand up guy.

I've had good luck with the following two cheap lighters: http://dx.com/p/compact-1300-c-butane-jet-lighter-4179 and http://dx.com/p/translucent-butane-jet-lighter-6783 . Blazer also makes a good pocket torch (the child proof safety is a PITA but easily removed with a razor blade), but it's about $25.

Gel and beads are not the same. The ability of gel to absorb excess humidity from your humidor is limited and slow, it's a bit better than a sponge, but not by much. For beads, which can actually regulate a set RH and rapidly/easily absorb excess moisture, I would look towards HCM beads (developed and sold by members here) at www.hcmbeads.com or heartfelt beads. They're different design, but work similarly. I have both and the HCM beads outperform the heartfelt beads in my multiple 27 gal tubs & coolers.
[Reply]
DirtRider500R 10:52 PM 11-11-2013
Fantastic info! Thanks guys! :-) :-) What are some aromatic sticks that would be good to invest in?
[Reply]
T.G 11:01 PM 11-11-2013
Aromatic as in flavored / infused? Or as in a regular cigar that has a nice mild aroma to the smoke?
[Reply]
Heavy_d 11:17 PM 11-11-2013
Ronson and a zippo with a thunderbird butane insert have been my go to lighters. I use the Ronson when I want a jet, and the zippo/thunderbird on those non windy days for a soft flame.

As for the sticks, two words: SAMP LERS. That way you get a variety of sticks and can decide what you do and don't like.

Oh, and as for your humidor, go bigger than you'll think you need. I couldn't believe how quick I've filled up my tupperdore
[Reply]
DirtRider500R 11:17 PM 11-11-2013
The second one.
[Reply]
DirtRider500R 11:19 PM 11-11-2013
I do have a Zippo, but I've heard there's a good chance that I'd be thrown under the bus by the "more experienced" S/BOTL if I used it :-) It's definitely an option though for when I'm out and about.
[Reply]
Heavy_d 11:23 PM 11-11-2013
Originally Posted by DirtRider500R:
I do have a Zippo, but I've heard there's a good chance that I'd be thrown under the bus by the "more experienced" S/BOTL if I used it :-) It's definitely an option though for when I'm out and about.
That's why I got the thunderbird insert. It replaces the naphtha using mechanism with one that uses oderless/tasteless butane. That way I could keep the looks and soft flame of the zippo without imparting unwanted flavors to my sticks.
[Reply]
Robulous78 11:57 PM 11-11-2013
Welcome Eli,

Well everyone has their own approach, mostly dependent upon how much extraneous cash you might find yourself with. Also there are a lot of considerations to factor.

As far as humis go, I would say its about presentation. A cooler will get the job done but no matter how many times I see it it always catches me off guard as I associate coolers with ice, and in no way ice with cigars...

If you want to present your gars in style you can certainly spend a wad. Towers are nice but do not have super high capacity, Cabinets have capacity but are expensive and take up floor space, its all about what works for you and your spot.

I would say forego the gel and go straight to bead humidification. Most on the site here do and there is plenty of information all over the place about it. Once again, if you wish to drop a wad there are systems that will monitor track and humidify for you, but most will find them unnecessary unless their stash gets fairly large.

As far as cutters, that is simple in my opinion. For pure cleanliness of cut I give it to Palio. They also have a solid guarantee and will replace in the event that it breaks.

You can, again, blow a wad on more expensive and extravagant cutters, and some are really freaking nice and equally expensive, but a Palio is well respected.

As far as lighters, I would argue 2nd only to our cigars you will find the most variation. Everyone has their favorite. soft flame, 1 torch, 2, 3, quad, burner, cedar matches, cedar splints, hemp string etc... its whatever floats your boat as long as it gets the job done...

Personal recommendation, start with something cheap like a xikar and then move up to something fancier, right now I am looking at a matching palio lighter to go with my palio cutter. ST Dupont's are fancy and cost a ship-ton of money... all about your preference.

As for the gars, I have no recommendations, welcome to the jungle my friend. take notice of the vines, if you live your life right you'll be swinging from every one of them... :-)
[Reply]
Gabe215 07:06 AM 11-12-2013
+1 on the cooler maintains the best humidity of ANY of my expensive humidors I bought a huge on on sale at family dollar for $18 that holds 12+ boxes and have HCM beads in there and is maintenance free

+1 for the $4 Ronson also, great lighter absolutely no problems with mine and have had it forever and looks cool too!!
[Reply]
CigarNut 07:32 AM 11-12-2013
The ronsons are great lighters, however, with my fat fingers I find myself getting burned more often than not so I opted for a Blazer -- which I love. They are a bit spendy for a plastic lighter from China, but they are very reliable. You can find similar lighters that are much less expensive at Deal Xtreme (which Adam (T.G) referenced above).

Also, as others have stated pick yourself up some cigar samplers from the online sites. They are an inexpensive way to try a lot of different cigars -- which will help you hone in on what you do and don't like about cigars.

Finally, there is a ton of good information here. Check out the "Sticky" threads at the top of each section. Learn how to use the Search function -- search is your friend!
[Reply]
pnoon 07:34 AM 11-12-2013
The Newbie Sampler Trade is another good way to not only sample some cigars you might not have opted to try but it is also a way to get to know some of the members here.

http://www.cigarasylum.com/vb/showthread.php?t=46087
[Reply]
DirtRider500R 02:36 PM 11-12-2013
I think I'll start out with a 57 qt cooler and order up some of those beads. Will definitely check out the NST! I've done quite a bit of reading on here (roughly 8+ hours worth), and am still nowhere near done with everything I'd like to read.

I'm also in need of a humidity gauge (forget what they're called). It seems that electric gauges are best, but that's where my knowledge ends. Any recommendations?
[Reply]
TJarv 03:02 PM 11-12-2013
Xikar
[Reply]
Sweet_Leaf_PDX 03:15 PM 11-12-2013
I think I'll start out with a 57 qt cooler and order up some of those beads. Will definitely check out the NST! I've done quite a bit of reading on here (roughly 8+ hours worth), and am still nowhere near done with everything I'd like to read.

I'm also in need of a humidity gauge (forget what they're called). It seems that electric gauges are best, but that's where my knowledge ends. Any recommendations?
I think the 57 quart cooler is a great choice to get you started.

I have a Hygroset II digital hygrometer and have been very happy with it's performance. I ordered it along with my beads from HCM Beads.

Since you will most likely buy buying many samplers, individual sticks and 5-packs you should consider getting Spanish cedar trays to keep your cigars in while they are in the cooler. You could also stop by your local cigar shop and ask them if they are willing to part with any empty boxes. This is not required but it helps to keep them organized.
[Reply]
Bleez 03:46 PM 11-13-2013
I've done quite a bit of reading on here (roughly 8+ hours worth), and am still nowhere near done with everything I'd like to learn.
You will never run out of things you want to read here...never. I Seriously learn a few things a day and usually within 10 minutes of opening the page...
[Reply]
Dude Here 04:56 PM 11-13-2013
I'll second what Sweet_Leaf says about the empty boxes. One of the local shops I frequent sells empty boxes for about $1.50 each, and those are good for about 20 sticks a box.
[Reply]
DirtRider500R 07:22 PM 11-13-2013
I'll definitely hit up the local shop and see if they have any boxes that they don't need, as well as pick up some other supplies.
[Reply]
Page 1 of 2
1 2 >
Up