Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum Mobile
Page 1 of 2
1 2 >
Accessory Discussion / Reviews>Is anyone else fastidious with their stuff
SilverFox 04:51 PM 12-05-2008
Seems the longer I am partaking in this little hobby of ours the more I fuss over all the little things.

I have now taken to rotating my hygros through a test bag (salt test) on a continuous basis and dating each test time via label on the back of the hygro, so given it takes me 2 to 4 days per test and I have 7 and 1 spare active hygros I am testing everyone around once per month maybe a little longer.

Do you do anything similar with your accessories or sticks that might seem a little over the top to others?
[Reply]
boonedoggle 04:59 PM 12-05-2008
Originally Posted by SilverFox:
Seems the longer I am partaking in this little hobby of ours the more I fuss over all the little things.

I have now taken to rotating my hygros through a test bag (salt test) on a continuous basis and dating each test time via label on the back of the hygro, so given it takes me 2 to 4 days per test and I have 7 and 1 spare active hygros I am testing everyone around once per month maybe a little longer.

Do you do anything similar with your accessories or sticks that might seem a little over the top to others?
wow! I'm too lazy to do all that, but at one time, I did find myself losing sleep over keeping my humidity up!
[Reply]
gettysburgfreak 05:06 PM 12-05-2008
I test everytime I put in new batteries, usually twice a year
[Reply]
TripleF 05:59 PM 12-05-2008
Can't say as I am Fox.

I talked with a rep last night at an event and he said most of us smokers are freakazoids about that stuff, and cigars aren't really as fragile as we think they are.
[Reply]
ucla695 06:24 PM 12-05-2008
Whoa. That's taking it to another level. I usually salt test my hygros several times a year.
[Reply]
ahc4353 06:56 PM 12-05-2008
Originally Posted by TripleF:
Can't say as I am Fox.

I talked with a rep last night at an event and he said most of us smokers are freakazoids about that stuff, and cigars aren't really as fragile as we think they are.
Scott found your answer Shawn you're a .............

:-)
[Reply]
massphatness 07:03 PM 12-05-2008
Fox, I consider it a good week when I change my skivvies every day.
[Reply]
md4958 08:19 PM 12-05-2008
whats a salt test?
whats a hygrometer?
[Reply]
Prozac_Puros 08:23 PM 12-05-2008
anyone else have to look up fastidious?
[Reply]
ahc4353 08:24 PM 12-05-2008
fas·tid·i·ous Listen to the pronunciation of fastidious
Pronunciation:
\fa-ˈsti-dē-əs, fə-\
Function:
adjective
Etymology:
Middle English, from Latin fastidiosus, from fastidium disgust, probably from fastus arrogance (probably akin to Latin fastigium top) + taedium irksomeness — more at tedium
Date:
15th century

1archaic : scornful2 a: having high and often capricious standards : difficult to please <critics…so fastidious that they can talk only to a small circle of initiates — Granville Hicks> b: showing or demanding excessive delicacy or care c: reflecting a meticulous, sensitive, or demanding attitude <fastidious workmanship>3: having complex nutritional requirements <fastidious microorganisms>
— fas·tid·i·ous·ly adverb
— fas·tid·i·ous·ness noun

YEP! :-)
[Reply]
MajorCaptSilly 08:31 PM 12-05-2008
I am not the least bit fastidious. Very haphazard.

MCS
[Reply]
hotreds 08:36 PM 12-05-2008
Originally Posted by gettysburgfreak:
I test everytime I put in new batteries, usually twice a year
:-)
[Reply]
Ashcan Bill 09:17 PM 12-05-2008
Test my hygrometers?

Hmmmm.

I think I did that once, a couple years ago. :-)

In all seriousness I just check the cigars - they tell me everything I need to know. :-)

However, I do sharpen my punches. I really like to have a clean cut.
[Reply]
SteveA 09:42 PM 12-05-2008
Never changed the batteries. Only tested hygrometers when first purchased. Don't even have a hygrometer in one of my coolers. Let my cigars cool down in the winter and heat up in the summer. And they are still smoking good.
[Reply]
M1903A1 09:47 PM 12-05-2008
I just check the temperature and RH obsessively. Oh, and check the humidipucks for mold (lost a few to a mold outbreak a while ago).
[Reply]
jbonnefsc 09:37 AM 12-06-2008
I count my cigars every night before I go to bed. I guard my palio with my life. And I check for mold and beetles every couple of days.

My name is Jacob, and I have a problem.
Posted via Mobile Device
[Reply]
Cyanide 11:17 AM 12-06-2008
I find myself checking the humidity every day....But then again, my humidor had "a leak" until I put some "weather stripping" just inside the lid. Before that, the humidity was dropping into the high 50's with no signs of stabilizing. Now its back up to 63% with distilled water in a jar inside the humi.

Hey, if you find that level of involvement satisfying.....then that makes you "Obsessive Compulsive Personality disordered". If that level of involvement causes you distress.....then thats just plain "Obsessive Compulsive".

I am OCPD and it works for me, just makes me generally disappointed in other peoples efforts. OCD itself sucks.

So, which is it for you?

Cheers

Cyanide
[Reply]
Don Fernando 11:25 AM 12-06-2008
I check the numbers on the hygro everytime I open the humi, but I don't check if the hygro is correct. I did it when I bought it, thats enough for me.
[Reply]
shilala 01:46 PM 12-06-2008
After years of therapy and multiple drugs, I can positively say that I don give a sht about anything anymore.
Case in point...
I've been sitting in this chair with my feet up on my desk since I got out of bed at noon. My back feels like there's two giant lobsters attached and they're chewing on nerve sacs.
I have tons of work to do but I'm too lazy to get up and get to my meds so I can get to work.
So to pass time, I'm eating all Kerri's peanut M&M's, spamming up CA, and watching RedvsBlue. There's about 25 more episodes to watch, so I should be good till sometime tomorrow.
My humi's all have hydra backups that squeal like a pig when the rh gets too low, dual hygros, and three times as many beads as they need, too. I did all that stuff while I was still sick. :-)
[Reply]
parafumar 12:25 PM 12-07-2008
while I am always checking RH and Temp - watching for mold or beetles - I do something REALLY insane - OCCASIONALLY, I actually smoke one. Sometimes I will take out a stick and put it back with a 'nah, then I can't lust over it' type of attitude.'

Of course, I bought them thinking how great they would be to smoke... :-)
[Reply]
Page 1 of 2
1 2 >
Up