Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum Mobile
Page 1 of 2
1 2 >
Accessory Discussion / Reviews>Cigar Caddy Custom Trays
DonnieW 04:40 PM 11-30-2008
I love my Cigar Caddy's to death. Those of you who own Caddy's know their pros and cons, so I won't dwell. Personally, the only thing I dislike about the Caddys are their foam trays. They certainly have form and function, but handling them is another story. They're flimsy and can be a challenge to shuffle or pass around. Looking at some of the comments in " What do you DISLIKE about your Cigar Caddy?" thread, I realized there were a couple other things I wish the Caddy had. While I've got my lighter and Palio on me all the time, it would be great to have a backup lighter and cutter in the Caddy. So with a VERY rare quiet day, I got to work and built myself some trays.

The ubiquitous Cigar Caddy:

The stock foam trays:

Custom made 1/4" Spanish Cedar Trays:

The bottom:

The middle:

The top is all business :-):

The trays are fitted and relieved to the Caddy so that they don't move around, just the same, the foam on the top stays in place to add a little down-force. While I've found the sticks are perfectly fine moving around a bit, I have some foam 'bumpers' that will go on the inside of each cigar slot. I have a small tube of beads that fits in one of the cigar slots which provides plenty of humidification. Overall I've officially lost 3 cigar slots, but am happy to have traded that for the cutter and lighter section. More importantly... I now have STURDY trays and my Cigar Caddy has never smelled better.

:-) Donnie
[Reply]
TXRebel 05:01 PM 11-30-2008
Nice work :-). Hope you are ready to start making them for other BOTL :-).
[Reply]
stevieray 05:07 PM 11-30-2008
Nice work :-) How much weight do the trays add to the caddy?
[Reply]
Cigar Caddy 06:48 PM 11-30-2008
I want one!
[Reply]
DragonMan 06:49 PM 11-30-2008
Nice work Donnie!! :-) :-)

I see you haven't smoked the Distinguidos yet. :-)

[Reply]
DonnieW 07:01 PM 11-30-2008
Originally Posted by DragonMan:
Nice work Donnie!! :-) :-)

I see you haven't smoked the Distinguidos yet. :-)

:-) Actually, that RyJ is ALSO yours - thank you. See what kind of guy I am... I only use my friends cigars to show off my wares. (sorry Bear... I smoked the Trinidad you gave me!!).
[Reply]
dunng 07:04 PM 11-30-2008
Very nice! :-)
[Reply]
white_s2k 07:12 PM 11-30-2008
Wow, that is awesome. You creative guys make me sick! :-)
[Reply]
Cyanide 07:23 PM 11-30-2008
Hey Donnie...

The other forum is down. Didn't realize you posted at both. Did you answer the question regarding where you got the wood? Maybe throw down the answer here. Geez, I am getting all confused riding both forums. Ah, but its great lurking with twice the range.

Cheers

Cyanide
[Reply]
Vitis 07:51 PM 11-30-2008
That's just amazing. Being extremely un-handy, it blows my mind to see people build stuff that they visualize. The rest of us have to buy whatevers available even if it doesn't truly meet our needs. Very sweet. congrats

~Vitis
[Reply]
MajorCaptSilly 07:54 PM 11-30-2008
I am impressed, intrigued, & interested.

MCS
[Reply]
TOB9595 09:27 PM 11-30-2008
Your design and workmanship is enviable.
WELL DONE!!!

I am envious
Tom
[Reply]
alley00p 09:36 PM 11-30-2008
Donnie, awesome work!! :-)

I feel the same way you do about those dang foam inserts, but I don't have the time to build trays... so I'll just be stuck with what I have for the near future! :-)

Maybe this spring when it'swarm enuf to get into the garage and near my saw I'll have a chance to build something like you did!

:-):-):-)
[Reply]
Darrell 09:40 PM 11-30-2008
Very nice craftsmanship. :-)
[Reply]
elderboy02 09:43 PM 11-30-2008
Holy heck! That is nice! I am officially jealous. Good work! :-)
[Reply]
DonnieW 04:49 AM 12-01-2008
Originally Posted by stevieray:
Nice work :-) How much weight do the trays add to the caddy?
Good question, it added about 1-1/2 pounds. Fully loaded it feels 'beefy' and solid, but not at all awkward.

Originally Posted by Cyanide:
Hey Donnie...

The other forum is down. Didn't realize you posted at both. Did you answer the question regarding where you got the wood? Maybe throw down the answer here...
I use Exotic Woods in Burlington, ON. Excellent quality and decent prices.
[Reply]
Smokin Gator 06:03 AM 12-01-2008
Those are really sweet!! Great job.
[Reply]
gettysburgfreak 04:43 PM 12-01-2008
wow, those are absolutely beautiful, really nice work.
[Reply]
icurrie 07:17 PM 12-01-2008
Donnie, those look great. Nice work buddy.
[Reply]
Opusfxd 07:22 PM 12-01-2008
Those look sweet!!!
[Reply]
Page 1 of 2
1 2 >
Up