Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum Mobile
Accessory Discussion / Reviews>Humidity Too High
MiloFinch 05:20 PM 12-10-2008
So I went to grab a stick out of my humidor today and the hygrometer read 83%. Now, yesterday there was nothing wrong. Everything was peachy. But today, the humidity inside jumped like mad.

So I pulled out my tube of Heartfelt beads that I have been using in that humi for probably going on two years now. I dried them all. I wet down half of them. Left the other half dry. Put them back in the tube. Tossed it all back in my humi.

A few hours later, the humidity hadn't changed. I pulled out my hygrometer and am salt testing it incase something crazy happened to it in a day.

In the event that there is nothing wrong with my hygrometer, what do I do? Should I remove the beads for a while? Should I leave it open and allow it to air out? I don't have anywhere else to put my sticks. Should I maybe toss them in a tupperware for a while until I get the humi situation straightened out, or will they be okay?

Help?
[Reply]
Cigarcop 05:29 PM 12-10-2008
I wouldn't think that one day would hurt them if the humidity did infact jump, how do they feel? Move them until you have checked everything and are satisfied with the readings.
[Reply]
NCRadioMan 05:42 PM 12-10-2008
How long has it been since the battery was changed in the hygro? If that is not the problem, dry the beads completely to allow them to soak up the excess.
[Reply]
ucla695 06:49 AM 12-11-2008
Have you added any news cigars to your humi recently? If so and they are on the wet side, that could cause the RH to spike.

I suggest salt testing your hygro again. It could be off. If it's still spot on, the dry the beads and put them back in as NC suggested.
[Reply]
goalie204 06:51 AM 12-11-2008
How do the sticks feel?
[Reply]
FrequenC 08:13 AM 12-11-2008
Originally Posted by ucla695:
Have you added any news cigars to your humi recently? If so and they are on the wet side, that could cause the RH to spike.

I suggest salt testing your hygro again. It could be off. If it's still spot on, the dry the beads and put them back in as NC suggested.
:-) If you added some new sticks to the humi that would account for the spike. If not then I would also suggest drying out the beads and then placing them back in the humi to allow them to soak up the excess humidity.

Keep us posted! :-)
[Reply]
MiloFinch 03:45 PM 12-11-2008
Okay, so I tested my hygrometer. Everything is kosher. Stil -9% like it was back then. I even changed the battery.

I did add a few sticks about a week ago.

They all feel okay. Maybe a little on the swollen side, but I'm probably just imagining it because I'm scared for their lives. I put my hygrometer back in, so we'll see what happens. If it's still off by tomorrow, I'm going to dry the beads completely and let them soak it up.

The cigars can't swell and bust or grow mold in just a matter of a few days, can they?
[Reply]
Up