Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum Mobile
Page 37 of 270
« First < 27353637 38394787137 > Last »
Good Eats>What's in your smoker?
tuxpuff 02:09 PM 06-08-2010
Originally Posted by LooseCard:
:-)
I keep wanting to do a Brisket, but everyone always comments about finishing them in the oven' - at my Camper, there is no oven.

Need to try the Pablanos idea though.
You don't need to finish a brisket in the oven. If you are paranoid you can wrap it in foil for the last hour or two...but I don't even do that. Just wrap it when you take it off and let it rest for an hour...you'll be fine.
[Reply]
kydsid 02:20 PM 06-08-2010
Originally Posted by tuxpuff:
You don't need to finish a brisket in the oven. If you are paranoid you can wrap it in foil for the last hour or two...but I don't even do that. Just wrap it when you take it off and let it rest for an hour...you'll be fine.
This here is good advice. Remember he is a Texan. We kick out all them city boys ifin that can't make a brisket. :-)
[Reply]
Superbad 05:48 PM 06-08-2010
Thanks for the compliments. I loved the brisket and will be making lots more in the future.
[Reply]
OLS 11:58 AM 06-09-2010
I finish mine in the crock pot. Of course, they threw me out of Texas
[Reply]
kydsid 01:24 PM 06-09-2010
Originally Posted by OLS:
I finish mine in the crock pot. Of course, they threw me out of Texas
I thought it was because, all your exes live in Texas, thats why you hang your hat in Tennessee.
[Reply]
Steve 01:34 PM 06-09-2010
Originally Posted by tuxpuff:
Per Paul Kirk...

:-):-)
[Reply]
OLS 02:09 PM 06-09-2010
Sorry, this needs to be HERE:

I am thinking about BBQing myself. Might get a little tricky when I try to mop myself.
Hate to get a boner on the grill and have to re-apply the rub.

OK, so I get a big box of spices in from Firehouse Pantry dot com. Bout 120 bucks worth. Everything
I need to make a giant bulk batch of rub. So I get a big bag done and think, hell, why not do another bag.
So I am mixing and shaking and sqeezing and WHAMMIE! Whoosh, 45 bucks worth of rub flies into the air,
coating my shirt, pants, in my shoes, on my chair, in my keyboard, in my nose. So naturally, I just BUST
out laughing and everybody around me busts out too. We are all sneezing and wiping our runny noses
and laughing and our sides begin to hurt. So I clean my chair with some upholstery cleaner, have
the guys out in the kart shop blow me off with compressed air, sweep and mop the area and it is done
for now. Everybody says it smells great.
TODAY.
In the weeks to come, I have a feeling that I am going to be pubic enemy number one.

Anyway, here's a picture.
Attached: Spiceplosion 2.jpg (46.5 KB) 
[Reply]
LooseCard 02:42 PM 06-09-2010
So I am mixing and shaking and sqeezing and WHAMMIE! Whoosh, 45 bucks worth of rub flies into the air,
coating my shirt, pants, in my shoes, on my chair, in my keyboard, in my nose.
:-) But I have to ask....
Why the heck were you mixing it at your PC ????:-)

Can I make a suggestion for next time? :-) Get one of them-there new-fangled sticks with ink in it, and sumpthin to skratch on......

(j/k) :-)
I am sorry to hear about you spiceplosion though.
[Reply]
Steve 02:52 PM 06-09-2010
I did that ONCE while mixing my rub. I use a 1 gallon mayo bottle to mix and store my rub in, and I got sidetracked by something and didn't have the lid on tight. Momma (wife) was not impressed with the mess in her kitchen!
[Reply]
BigAsh 02:59 PM 06-09-2010
Sorry, this needs to be HERE:

I am thinking about BBQing myself. Might get a little tricky when I try to mop myself.
Hate to get a boner on the grill and have to re-apply the rub.

OK, so I get a big box of spices in from Firehouse Pantry dot com. Bout 120 bucks worth. Everything
I need to make a giant bulk batch of rub. So I get a big bag done and think, hell, why not do another bag.
coating my shirt, pants, in my shoes, on my chair, in my keyboard, in my nose. So naturally, I just BUST
out laughing and everybody around me busts out too. We are all sneezing and wiping our runny noses
and laughing and our sides begin to hurt. So I clean my chair with some upholstery cleaner, have
the guys out in the kart shop blow me off with compressed air, sweep and mop the area and it is done
for now. Everybody says it smells great.
TODAY.
In the weeks to come, I have a feeling that I am going to be pubic enemy number one.

Anyway, here's a picture.
:-):-)......especially the compressed air part!
[Reply]
T.G 03:10 PM 06-09-2010
:-):-):-):-)

Sorry Brad, but I'm laughing here.

Not at your misfortune, but at the time I was mixing a rub up that had about 10 different powdered dried chilies in it and I spilled about a cup or so worth. No problem I think, I'll just grab my Oreck "buster b" canister vac and take care of it (the little high powered vacuum that they do the funnel and bowling ball ove the head trick with)

It didn't have a bag installed. Or the fan filter. I didn't realize this at first either because I had it on a shoulder strap so the air discharge was behind me. I then turned around right into the cloud of chillies, without turning off the vacuum. So want to take a guess where the air discharge from the vacuum on my shoulder was going? Yup, right into the bowl with the rest of the chili powders that I hadn't spilled. Leaf blower time!

It was like someone sprayed a giant can of mace in the kitchen and all attached rooms.

Trying to explain to my neighbor why I was standing in the driveway covered in red powder while running a water stream from a garden hose full blast into my face while coughing my lungs up was, at the time painful, but in retrospect, pretty damn funny.

It was like "The Three Stooges take on FoodTV, minus two of the stooges" or something.
[Reply]
OLS 06:30 PM 06-09-2010
I think you got me topped there, Adam, lol.
To answer the various questions, I was not so much at my PC as at my desk. I hear them call my name up front,
and that usually means a box of chocolates. But my chocolate is back-ordered and now cancelled, so I knew it
was my spices. And when you get a box like that at work, everything stops. At least for me. I have to unpack and
inspect it. And then I thought, man, I am gonna mix up that rub. I have dozens and dozens of large ziplocks on hand
for troop support, so I just started working it out. The bag was sealed, but I guess I just put too much pressure on it.
And it's biglots zChinese crap. I am just happy it was not full powered stuff. I had a pound of Serrano powder, but I
did not know when I ordered it that this stuff was so powerful. So I gave away about 80% of that to my friend.
So this blend only had a small portion of Serrano. But it's over, and I have two large zippies full of rub.
But the real impetus was johnny on the spot co-worker of mine with his camera phone. the whole thing was
still unfolding when he fired off a few shots. :-)
[Reply]
T.G 07:20 PM 06-09-2010
I won the doofus award that day allright.
[Reply]
OLS 09:35 AM 06-10-2010
Originally Posted by T.G:
: (the little high powered vacuum that they do the funnel and bowling ball ove the head trick with).
Oh, yeah, I know David Oreck very well. He used to be "The RCA Colortrak Man" back in his
early entrepreneureal days in New Orleans. He just sold TVs then, when I was a kid. But
I also worked at what was probably the first shopping channel in the world back in the mid 80's,
in Harahan, and David Oreck was just starting to really get into the inventor/entrepreneur thing.
We used to tape shows with him all the time. I think he is no longer in NO, though.
I lost touch with him. Nice guy. After writing this, I went here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/David_Oreck
and it turns out he wasn't jsut selling TVs back then, lol. Read through that and be amazed.

That job also intersected me with the man who invented the "Cajun Injector" I think I also was
present for the first ever infomercial. Shot out in the front parking lot of our shopping channel.
He deep fried a turkey, and was cooking all kinds of food. Good times. That job pioneered alot of
things in what we now know as the very worst of TV. :-) :-) :-)
[Reply]
T.G 10:04 AM 06-10-2010
Interesting. I always thought David Oreck had designed/invented his vacuum cleaners, I didn't realize he had actually bought a patented design.

The Cajun Injector - LOL. I must have 4 or 5 of those lying around here somehere... (got them cheap from Safeway one year, they were closing them out at 50-cents for the small packs with the bag of marinade and a dollar for the big packs with the jar and the "rub").

Never liked how the commercially made injections left the meat with a funky texture. Although I did find a good use for their Cajun Butter marinade: that you take a whole ear of corn, peel back the husk, remove the silk, run the entire thing under water to wash the corn and wet the husk, pat the corn dry (but not the husk, leave it wet) brush the corn and the inside of innermost layer of husk down with the Cajun Butter injection marinade, sprinkle some Tony Chacharies on it, pull the husk back into place and toss on a grill, rotating every now and then depending on how hot the grill is (a tiny bit of burn it ok too - adds character). Delish.
[Reply]
Mr B 12:05 PM 06-12-2010
I went and grabbed a 5lb Bone-In Chucky form Safeway last night (on sale $1.89 lb).

In the Food Processor went 1 can of Chipolte Peppers w/ Adobe Sauce. 1/2 Cup of Dark Brown Sugar and 1-2 Tsp Salt & Pepper.

Put the Chucky in a Vac-Seal Bag and poured the sauce all over it. Vac Sealed.

Put in the fridge overnight and this is what I have this morning.

Put it in at 10:30 over Apple, Alder & Hickory. Just waiting for that 190* Will post finished product later
[Reply]
BigAsh 09:44 AM 06-13-2010
Originally Posted by Mr B:
I went and grabbed a 5lb Bone-In Chucky form Safeway last night (on sale $1.89 lb).

In the Food Processor went 1 can of Chipolte Peppers w/ Adobe Sauce. 1/2 Cup of Dark Brown Sugar and 1-2 Tsp Salt & Pepper.

Put the Chucky in a Vac-Seal Bag and poured the sauce all over it. Vac Sealed.

Put in the fridge overnight and this is what I have this morning.

Put it in at 10:30 over Apple, Alder & Hickory. Just waiting for that 190* Will post finished product later
Nice!....how'd it turn out?.....That marinade is interesting....anything with chipotle is in my wheelhouse!
[Reply]
T.G 01:53 PM 06-13-2010
Originally Posted by BigAsh:
Nice!....how'd it turn out?.....That marinade is interesting....anything with chipotle is in my wheelhouse!
:-)

Like to hear how that turned out, should have been pretty good I would think.
[Reply]
Mr B 09:53 AM 06-14-2010
It turned out Very good. the family loved it. It did not "pull" like it would have liked. Certain parts did but not the entire thing. So like a brisket I started slicing, chopping and dicing.
We had them tostada style. I cooled em down w/ my fresh Pico de Gallo salso, lettuce, sour cream, and avocado, Jack & Cheddar.
I kept it moist in the smoker by spritzing once & a while w/ apple cider vinagar.
I also wrapped it in foil, then a towel and put it in a cooler (warm)for an hour after removing it from the smoker.
The taste was awesome and spicy. It stayed very moist and juicy.

Ready to come out.

Ready to eat!!

[Reply]
OLS 11:10 AM 06-14-2010
Holy heater Batman, it was every bit of 97 this weekend with a heat index of 110.
I am not much on heat indices nor chill factors, but I know one thing. I looked
poignantly at the grill out on the patio from the safety of my kitchen window.
That's as close as I got. Poor dogs, though. They had to endure and maintain.

Ahhh. You cooked the MEAT to make the taco. BRILLIANT.
UUuummmm...ABACABO..........my favorite. I bought two avocados
the other day, just to eat with a spoon. But I had guests coming, so
I went ahead and reluctantly made guacamole. Come to find out they
didn't EAT that. Not a waste of food, but certainly effort. And it turned
what would have been two excellent avos into mashed up $hite. But I ate it.
[Reply]
Page 37 of 270
« First < 27353637 38394787137 > Last »
Up