Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum Mobile
Accessory Discussion / Reviews>Boveda 1-step seasoning
kcdeadmoney 08:28 AM 12-26-2013
I got a new humi for Christmas and it came with the Boveda hygrometer calibration kit and an 84% rh packet. Anyone else season a humidor with one of these? Does it work effectively by itself as advertised? I don't mind waiting the 2 weeks as my tupperdor works just fine, but it will be nice to display my sticks with the custom engraved glass top. Thanks in advance.
[Reply]
kelmac07 08:35 AM 12-26-2013
Jim, Boveda makes a fine product. If you let the humi sit with the packet(s), it will evenutally (depending on the size of your humi) acclimate to the boveda packets RH settings. With a single packet...might take a while. Some people like to speed up the process and place a small bowl of distilled water in the humi for "seasoning". A lot of brothers here use beads (Shilala or Heartfelt) and they are AWESOME. Very minimal maintenance. The only thing with using strictly Boveda packets, is that you will have to replace them periodically.

Also, you may want to "salt test" your hyrgrometer. Search for these topics on CA and you will find an abundance of answers/theories.

I would suggest that you may not want to keep your humi at 84% rh. May want to look into some 70% rh or lower. Just my :-)
[Reply]
pnoon 08:51 AM 12-26-2013
This thread should help, too.
http://www.cigarasylum.com/vb/showthread.php?t=620
[Reply]
kcdeadmoney 09:18 AM 12-26-2013
The 84% is supposed to be just for the seasoning, I will probably switch to 67% after it is seasoned.
[Reply]
Up