Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum Mobile
Island (The other ones) Reviews>Oliva V figurado
Don Fernando 04:04 AM 12-06-2010
The V series is the flagship of the Oliva Cigar Company and comes in several sizes. I reviewed a few in the past, like the 2008 V Maduro, the 2009 V Maduro, the Churchill, the Lancero and the Torpedo. The V series are Nicaraguan puros with tobacco from ligero tobacco from the Jalapa valley with a high priming Habano sun grown wrapper.

This figurado is the oddest shaped cigar in the series, it's 6½ inch long and at the thickest point the cigar has a 60 ring. The wrapper is smooth, shiny, dark and oily with a few pretty veins. The construction feels good and the predraw, that is quite peppery, is fine too.

I taste pepper and wood, mainly pepper but after ¾ inch the pepper loses much of its power and I taste some chocolate too. These flavors don't change for the first third.

The cigar gains some power and I also get some sweetness that I expect to taste in every Oliva cigar. The pepper makes a comeback and becomes stronger. After two thirds a herbal flavor joins the party in my mouth.

This cigar lasted me for two hours. I get a decent amount of smoke, but it is a bit thin. The ash is dark but firm, so firm that you can see the tip of the cigar in the ash. The burn is awesome and the draw is good. This cigar is medium to full flavored and definitely full bodied.

Would I buy this cigar again? Yes.

Appearance: 8 / 10
Construction: 8 / 10
Draw: 8 / 10
Burn: 9 / 10
Smoke & ash: 7 / 10
Aroma first part: 7 / 10
Aroma second part: 8 / 10
Aroma third part: 8 / 10
[Reply]
Lumpold 05:22 AM 12-06-2010
Nice review Ferdie! How much do a box of these run the Netherlands?
[Reply]
Don Fernando 05:27 AM 12-06-2010
€ 10 a stick. Think there are 24 in a box, so € 240
[Reply]
Lumpold 06:15 AM 12-06-2010
That's a pretty good price! Well, for me in the UK :-)
[Reply]
STEVE S 06:26 AM 12-06-2010
Thank you Ferdie for another great review. The Oliva V line is one of my favorites as a matter of fact I smoked one of these last night, and I agree with your review completely. :-)
[Reply]
DonAustin 06:49 AM 12-06-2010
Great Review :-), I was considering picking one up the other day, I believe I will now. Thanks for the review!
[Reply]
elderboy02 06:52 AM 12-06-2010
These are very good. The only Oliva V that I don't like is the Churchill.
[Reply]
Volt 07:30 AM 12-06-2010
Great stick for me, but then it's an Oliva, what's not to like? The regular V's are a bit too strong for me, but the figurado I can smoke, makes no sense.
[Reply]
kelmac07 10:46 AM 12-06-2010
Another superb review Ferdie. :-)
[Reply]
pennjones 01:03 PM 12-06-2010
Nice review Ferd! I love this cigar!
[Reply]
lyle23 01:42 PM 12-06-2010
I have had all the other V's with the exception of this one. Only a few shops in the area carry figurado sticks, soo i havent seen it around. Great kine of smokes and i will now have to get some after reading this. Great review.
[Reply]
KenyanSandBoa 11:06 AM 12-09-2010
Great review Ferdie. This is a true favorite of mine. I'm always amazed at how different this vitola smokes versus the others in the line.

Originally Posted by lyle23:
I have had all the other V's with the exception of
this one. Only a few shops in the area carry figurado sticks, soo i havent seen it around. Great kine of smokes and i will now have to get some after reading this. Great review.
Originally Posted by DonAustin:
Great Review :-), I was considering picking one up the other day, I believe I will now. Thanks for the review!
Definitley try them...a great smoke. I usually keep these, the double robustos, and the lanceros on hand at all times. :-) :-):-)
[Reply]
bsslack 01:31 PM 12-12-2010
Nice review!

I had one of these last night at the So-Cal Herf @ bvilchez's. I love them, but what was interesting was that a Young Lady whom was a guest and an occaisional smoker. She asked to try it and almost did not give it back. :-)
She really liked it and commented how different it was from the "other cigars" She had tried that day.

The Oliva Serie V Cigars are definately "Winners."

I sometimes forget what it was like as a Brand New Cigar Smoker. This Young Woman was Great and was not shy about trying anything. That bodes well for Our Hobby.

Cheers! :-)

slack :-)
[Reply]
Ranger_B 06:43 PM 12-12-2010
Thanks for the review man. I have a couple of these from when they where first released sitting in my cooler. First box of Vs I got. I have not had one in a while I may have to burn one this week.
[Reply]
dunng 06:45 PM 12-12-2010
Nom nom nom.... Nice review! :-)
[Reply]
shvictor 09:15 PM 12-12-2010
One of my favs
[Reply]
Skywalker 10:09 AM 12-13-2010
Originally Posted by shvictor:
One of my favs
:-)

Thanks for the review!

I love the Lancero best of all, but the Fig is my next favorite!!!
:-)
[Reply]
Gophernut 03:50 PM 12-13-2010
Big fan of these as well. Great review.
[Reply]
Up