Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum Mobile
Island (The other ones) Reviews>Toscano classico
Don Fernando 03:58 AM 11-28-2010
These Italian made cigars are ideal to share with friends, as you can cut them in half and then both smoke half a cigar. There are several blends and this time I smoked the Classico, which comes in a brown cardboard box that holds 5 cellophane packed cigar. The band is in the colors of the Italian flag.

This cigar is probably the worst looking cigar I have ever seen. It has a bit of a cone shape, it is far from smooth and has thick veins. It looks like a dead twig that you find on the floor of a forest somewhere. The wrapper is quite oily though and has lots of colorations. The cigar feels very hard and tight. The cigar is pre-cut and the predraw is tough. The smell of this stick is a combination of a wet dog and a sweaty horse.

I taste scorched earth, spicy and peppery and quite full. After 1½ inch the flavors become less strong and I can also taste some wood. The pepper disappeared but there spice remains, it is a herbal spiciness.

Halfway I get a faint chocolate flavor way back beneath the earth and herbal flavor. The chocolate disappears quickly and later on I can only taste herbs.

I smoked a whole stick and not half a stick like how it's supposed to be smoked and still it only lasted me 20 minutes. The draw was a bit too hard but I got a lot of smoke, which is a bit yellowish. The firm as is dark and the burn is good. This cigar is full flavored and medium bodied.

Would I buy this cigar again? Don't think so

Appearance: 4 / 10
Construction: 7 / 10
Draw: 6 / 10
Burn: 8 / 10
Smoke & ash: 7 / 10
Aroma first part: 6 / 10
Aroma second part: 6 / 10
Aroma third part: 7 / 10
[Reply]
ylo2na 05:36 AM 11-28-2010
Ferdinand,
Very nice review.... the look reminds me of the Italian stogies, Da Nobli. Is it similar? Really enjoy reading what you have to say,
Best,
Ylo2na
[Reply]
Don Fernando 06:05 AM 11-28-2010
never smoked a Da Nobli, but the Toscano is an Italian smoke too.
[Reply]
timo 06:33 AM 11-28-2010
"wet dog and a sweaty horse"
Now that really makes me want to run out and get me one of these. haha
[Reply]
Lumpold 07:24 AM 11-28-2010
Allegedley the cigars a certain Clint Eastwood smoked when filming Westerns. Being Italian, and the Westerns being of the Spaghetti variety, with mainly Italian directors, and filming in Europe, it could make sense.
[Reply]
Superbad 07:32 AM 11-28-2010
Hey Ferdinand,
These are the sticks I was talking about at EPIC. How does it compare to that Dutch dry cigar I had?
[Reply]
Ashcan Bill 08:43 AM 11-28-2010
It only lasted twenty minutes? Man, that's a fast smoke. I can't even do a Demi Tasse in less than half an hour.
[Reply]
Don Fernando 08:45 AM 11-28-2010
Originally Posted by Superbad:
Hey Ferdinand,
These are the sticks I was talking about at EPIC. How does it compare to that Dutch dry cigar I had?
completely different, not comparable
[Reply]
Superbad 09:06 AM 11-28-2010
Originally Posted by Don Fernando:
completely different, not comparable
I hope it was better than the Dutch cigar.
[Reply]
kelmac07 09:34 AM 11-28-2010
That's one UGLY looking stick Ferdie. :-) Wet dog and sweaty horse? I think I'll pass on this one. :-) :-)
[Reply]
VirtualSmitty 07:53 AM 11-29-2010
Originally Posted by Spitnchew:
"wet dog and a sweaty horse"
Now that really makes me want to run out and get me one of these. haha
It's pretty accurate. I picked up a bunch of different brands of these toscani style cigars when I was in Italy and they were collectively the worst tasting/smelling cigars i've ever bought.
[Reply]
HK3- 08:16 AM 11-29-2010
When I lived in Italy, some of my Italian friends refused to smoke CC's and would only smoke these Toscanos and other dried turds. I don't love them, but I don't hate them either. I think they are good for certain situations like fishing, doing yard work, wondering what licking a cats butt would taste like...etc. :-)
[Reply]
Up