Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum Mobile
Page 2 of 3
< 12 3 >
Recipes>Bagels...
bvilchez 03:18 PM 12-08-2011
Originally Posted by bobarian:
Someone seems to hava proverbial stick up their a$$! Its a fricking recipe not biochemical warfare! :-)
Peter can give you the recipe for that one:-)
[Reply]
bobarian 03:21 PM 12-08-2011
Originally Posted by bvilchez:
Peter can give you the recipe for that one:-)
:-)
[Reply]
T.G 03:34 PM 12-08-2011
Originally Posted by CigarNut:
OK. Just for that I am going to make you some bagels (using my FIL's not-so-secret recipe).... Now, where is that ExLax...

Ahhhh, the infamous it's the "Mexican water bagel"....
[Reply]
GreekGodX 03:43 PM 12-08-2011
Originally Posted by pnoon:
You forgot to mention that woodworking and programming info should be shared freely. No need to earn that.
Now, genuflect and kiss my ring.
Yes my Lord

Sheesh you would think that guy with all the bagel secrets was making millions of dollars from them. What a good way to give yourself a scarlet letter.
[Reply]
icehog3 03:55 PM 12-08-2011
MMM...wonder if someone has earned the privilige to be a member of the Asylum.
[Reply]
NCRadioMan 04:20 PM 12-08-2011
Originally Posted by icehog3:
No kiddin'! There are many hundreds of years of combined cigar experience and knowledge in the Asylum and from what I have seen, and experienced first-hand, it is freely and even eagerly given without gain and fanfare. That's what being a botl is all about and that can apply to all aspects of life

*sigh* Ces't la vie!

Look at it this way, you go to a herf and you sitting with a few people and somebody comes over and starts handing out cigars but passes you by. You wonder why and eventually you get wind that he didn't think you "earned" it yet. Now, wouldn't that be a major d*ck move? I think so. (fwiw, I've seen this happen and it sickened me.)
[Reply]
pektel 04:22 PM 12-08-2011
I've figured it out! The dough must be rolled on thighs of virgins.
Posted via Mobile Device
[Reply]
GreekGodX 06:12 PM 12-08-2011
Originally Posted by NCRadioMan:
No kiddin'! There are many hundreds of years of combined cigar experience and knowledge in the Asylum and from what I have seen, and experienced first-hand, it is freely and even eagerly given without gain and fanfare. That's what being a botl is all about and that can apply to all aspects of life

*sigh* Ces't la vie!

Look at it this way, you go to a herf and you sitting with a few people and somebody comes over and starts handing out cigars but passes you by. You wonder why and eventually you get wind that he didn't think you "earned" it yet. Now, wouldn't that be a major d*ck move? I think so. (fwiw, I've seen this happen and it sickened me.)
Bingo! That is the perfect perfect analogy and in your case story.
[Reply]
replicant_argent 07:09 PM 12-08-2011
Originally Posted by pektel:
I've figured it out! The dough must be rolled on thighs of virgins.
Posted via Mobile Device
Nope, actually it appears the poaching liquid contains just a wee dram of Summers Eve.
That, is the secret ingredient.
[Reply]
Parshooter 06:25 AM 12-09-2011
Originally Posted by icehog3:
I guess Col. Sanders isn't getting in here ? :-)
[Reply]
ronzorelli 05:56 PM 12-29-2011
Originally Posted by madwilliamflint:
I promise you that's not true. I spent years getting my bagels down and learned a couple very important pieces of procedure that are simply in no recipe I've ever seen (even a couple not in the above recipe, which is as close as I've ever seen), but had been independently confirmed at bagel shops in Brooklyn.

It was in fact, such a PITA to get them down that when people ask me the secret I wave it off and say "it's the water."

I'm convinced this is why that piece of mythology exists. Same thing with pizza. It's easy to tell people and makes the tourists go away.
As an amateur pizza maker who has been refining my technique at home (while talking to experts face to face and through e-mail/forums) for over 6 years, I would agree with you on this one.

These weren't "perfect" Bagels, but they were damn good and a whole lot better than the crap I can get down here in Central Texas.

And Reinhart is a good resource for anything bread related, but like most people who are still perfecting their craft, he's also still learning and may not always have everything exactly right.

That's the thing with following a craft you love... you never actually perfect it. It's the journey that brings the enjoyment.
[Reply]
madwilliamflint 05:59 PM 12-29-2011
Good Lord. If I ever thought I was a "good enough" bread baker I don't know what the heck I'd do with myself.

It's one of the bright sides of unemployment. I'm baking a loaf or two a day, honing in on a baseline from which I can REALLY experiment :-)
[Reply]
ronzorelli 06:00 PM 12-29-2011
And I'll share my experience (or lack thereof) with anyone willing to listen...
[Reply]
ronzorelli 06:05 PM 12-29-2011
Originally Posted by madwilliamflint:
Good Lord. If I ever thought I was a "good enough" bread baker I don't know what the heck I'd do with myself.

It's one of the bright sides of unemployment. I'm baking a loaf or two a day, honing in on a baseline from which I can REALLY experiment :-)
I resembled that remark for over a year... I feel your pain, bro. :-)

Did a lot of "experimenting" with stuff to keep myself from going rabidly insane.

Good luck!
[Reply]
ronzorelli 06:06 PM 12-29-2011
Oh, and madwilliamflint, I'm from Orange County, NY, originally. My sister lives in Walden and I grew up in Maybrook.
[Reply]
pnoon 12:05 AM 12-30-2011
Originally Posted by ronzorelli:
And I'll share my experience (or lack thereof) with anyone willing to listen...
Just be sure that whoever you share it with has earned it. :-)
[Reply]
GreekGodX 01:52 PM 01-05-2012
I had a bagel today, made me think of this thread. madwilliamflint can I have the recipe and the secrets yet? :-)
[Reply]
madwilliamflint 01:54 PM 01-05-2012
Originally Posted by GreekGodX:
I had a bagel today, made me think of this thread. madwilliamflint can I have the recipe and the secrets yet? :-)
Depends.

Are you the one who modeled for Parshooter's avatar?

:-)
[Reply]
mosesbotbol 02:15 PM 01-05-2012
It's all about the water and possibly air born yeast. Just like NY Pizza never tastes the same outside of NY.
[Reply]
sevans105 02:27 AM 01-06-2012
I LOVE cigars.....and I LOVE the info, insight and most of all the brother/sister hood I've felt since joining Cigar Asylum. But blunt honest, this bagel thread is my very favorite. Soooooooo funny!
[Reply]
Page 2 of 3
< 12 3 >
Up