Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum Mobile
Page 1 of 2
1 2 >
Entertainment>Blu-Ray Recommendations
Eleven 06:33 AM 01-20-2011
Finally diving into the Blu-Ray hype. I was gifted "Taken" and "Kingdom of Heaven" for Christmas, and last night I bought "Grease".

I was surprised by how different even Grease looked on BR.

What are some good Blu-Ray titles for pure eye-candy? I assumed the LoTR Trilogy and Star Wars flicks, but what about a movie like Cloverfield? Such a weird shaky-cam movie anyway, does it benefit from Blu-Ray?

I have a 55inch plasma, so I'm hoping for eye popping goodness.
[Reply]
Chainsaw13 06:37 AM 01-20-2011
Here's a couple suggestions:

Iron Man 1 & 2
[Reply]
Bill86 06:46 AM 01-20-2011
I enjoy every movie in 1080P blu-ray. Can't think of any particular stand outs. Maybe braveheart, Dark Knight? I recently watched Usual Suspects and Watchmen in 1080p Blu-ray, Watchmen was quite badass.
[Reply]
Chainsaw13 07:24 AM 01-20-2011
How could I forget Dark Knight. Good call Bill.
[Reply]
jmsremax 07:30 AM 01-20-2011
You can't go wrong with any action films. Transformers is the first thing that comes to mind that hasn't already been mentioned.....great flick not only for blu ray but surround sound demos.
[Reply]
rebelknight 07:51 AM 01-20-2011
I have all of the transporter movies on br and they look great and they are entertaining. I'm a little biased about this other one because it is my favorite movie of all time but Gladiator looks great on br
[Reply]
issues 08:01 AM 01-20-2011
Off of the top of my head I recommend the 5th Element, Saving Private Ryan, Aliens, 300, Watchmen and The Matrix Collection.

There are some classics I hope to get soon myself and will let you know how they look...

Stuff like Bladerunner, Close Encounters of the Third Kind, Excalibur, Superman I & II and Apocalypse Now.
[Reply]
hammondc 08:14 AM 01-20-2011
I never noticed a huge picture difference in an upconverted standard def VS BluRay. The huge difference for me was sound. Good God it is like 8track vs SACD.

It is hard to beat anything pixar. Also the Planet Earth series is stunning. It was recorded in HD though.
[Reply]
jonumberone 08:14 AM 01-20-2011
Originally Posted by issues:
Off of the top of my head I recommend the 5th Element,
For me this is the movie I measure all other Blu rays against.

Some others I enjoyed for Eye candy,

Gamer, Inception, New star trek :-)
[Reply]
cricky101 08:38 AM 01-20-2011
- Saving Private Ryan is one of my favorites on Blu-Ray, especially with a decent surround system. Bombs and bullets flying all around you.
- Others I've watched and thought looked/sounded great were 300, The Fifth Element, the Star Trek remake, and I hated the movie but Avatar looked pretty.
[Reply]
T.G 08:47 AM 01-20-2011
Originally Posted by Eleven:
What are some good Blu-Ray titles for pure eye-candy?

Pirates II: Stagnetti's Revenge
[Reply]
Kreth 09:35 AM 01-20-2011
Blu-Ray. And the first movie you bought was Grease? :-)
Posted via Mobile Device
[Reply]
Eleven 09:49 AM 01-20-2011
Originally Posted by Kreth:
Blu-Ray. And the first movie you bought was Grease? :-)
Posted via Mobile Device
I know, I know. Grease is one of those movies that has transcended generations. My mother took me to see it in the theaters when it came out, on a school night. I think I was 11 years old. All my kids liked it, and my youngest son is as much a freak about it as I am. It was only natural that we picked it up. We were even joking about it, and dismissed the fact they would even release it on Blu-Ray. Then we saw it, so we had to get it.

There are some great movies mentioned here!
[Reply]
markem 09:52 AM 01-20-2011
Master and Commander is as stunning at Avatar in Blu-Ray. I think Cars is also great.
[Reply]
gnbikes 10:05 AM 01-20-2011
Band of Brothers
Pirates of the Caribbean
Blade Runner
New Star Trek
[Reply]
jjirons69 10:09 AM 01-20-2011
I'm up to about 100 titles now. All the Pixar movies are gorgeous. Second the Master and Commander props. Try the Planet Earth and Life series. I've only seen a couple that are so-so and that's mainly due to shortcomings by the studio doing transfers. The vast majority are awesome to view on a big screen. Scott go here:

http://www.blu-ray.com/

Check "Deals" daily. The reviews are good, too, and you kind of get an expectation of what an unviewed movie holds. On a given movie, move your mouse over the small green graph that follows the list price. You can see the pricing over time. I get a charge out of knowing I got the best deal yet. I've gotten 95% of my movies from Amazon. Their prices are nearly impossible to beat when they drop to bottom. On your Amazon account, under Settings, sign up as an Amazon Mom Membership. It's free and you get 2-day shipping free for three months, regardless of price. This way you don't have to get the minimum $25 for 3-5 day shipping. Sign up at Disney Movie Rewards for $10 off coupons for Disney/Pixar movies. There are tons of deals, you just have to be patient and chase them down.
[Reply]
Blueface 10:12 AM 01-20-2011
Almost bought a player last night.
Is the quality that much better?
[Reply]
jjirons69 11:51 AM 01-20-2011
Sights and sounds are much, much better (58" Panny plasma and Onkyo surround)! Sometimes it's like I'm looking out of a window - maybe better, as my TV is spotless and my windows could use a little Windex. A year and a half in and I still get amazed.
[Reply]
issues 12:12 PM 01-20-2011
Originally Posted by Blueface:
Almost bought a player last night.
Is the quality that much better?
Only if you have 1080p and a tv larger than 42". If not, it can be difficult to tell the difference other than sound quality (I know I couldn't)...

Since I got the new TV the difference is staggering!

Like Jaime said, it is almost like looking out of a window.
[Reply]
jwillm 12:20 PM 01-20-2011
It may sound childish, but all of the Pixar movies look great on br. Wall-e was awesome!!!
[Reply]
Page 1 of 2
1 2 >
Up