Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum Mobile
Page 1 of 2
1 2 >
Entertainment>True Grit (2010)
Darrell 03:57 PM 12-22-2010
First let me say that the Coen Brothers are some of my favorite directors.

This movie was no exception. The story was great, the action was gritty, the drama was where it needed to be and the characters were AWESOME.

It was a little slow on some parts but overall, it was a solid 8/10.
[Reply]
hscmit 07:55 PM 12-22-2010
looking forward to seeing this
[Reply]
kelmac07 08:26 PM 12-22-2010
Originally Posted by hscmit:
X2 :-)
[Reply]
RevSmoke 10:28 PM 12-22-2010
Am a big fan of the original. Am looking forward to seeing this to get a comparison.
[Reply]
Skywalker 12:40 AM 12-23-2010
Thanks for the review!!!:-)
[Reply]
Bill86 12:47 AM 12-23-2010
Can anyone compare this to the original, my dad loves the original and he's skeptical about watching this. As I am but it is a Cohen brothers movie and the big lebowski is damn near god to me. Coincidentally I am drinking a white russian right now, mines quite jacked up I'll admit.
[Reply]
stevefrench 12:58 AM 12-23-2010
Originally Posted by Bill86:
Can anyone compare this to the original, my dad loves the original and he's skeptical about watching this. As I am but it is a Cohen brothers movie and the big lebowski is damn near god to me. Coincidentally I am drinking a white russian right now, mines quite jacked up I'll admit.
Your father is a wise man, Bill.
[Reply]
Bill86 01:02 AM 12-23-2010
Originally Posted by stevefrench:
Your father is a wise man, Bill.
:-) You aren't kidding I don't want to ruin the original for him. He's a HUGE John Wayne fan.
[Reply]
icehog3 01:27 AM 12-23-2010
I haven't seen it yet, but imagine Bridges plays Cogburn a bit more hard-edged than the Duke. So at least it should be different.

And the new actors have to be an improvement in the characters played by Glen Campbell and Kim Darby. Casting Campbell as La Boeuf has to be one of the worst casting decisions of all-time.
[Reply]
Lucky_Hippo 07:59 AM 12-23-2010
The reviews that have been comming back say the new one tends to be more true to the book, where as the older John Wayne version was "toned" down for the time as far as the grit part and language.

Haven't seen the new one yet so take it for what it's worth.
[Reply]
mosesbotbol 08:05 AM 12-23-2010
Originally Posted by RevSmoke:
Am a big fan of the original.
:-)
[Reply]
shilala 08:07 AM 12-23-2010
Thanks, D. Looking forward to this one. :-)
[Reply]
Bruins Fan 02:59 PM 12-23-2010
The Duke won an Oscar for True Grit, I hope to get out to see the new movie next week.:-)
[Reply]
sikk50 12:43 AM 12-24-2010
I loved the original and was nervious to see this one, but....as hard as it is for me to say, it surpassed the original! Its hard to explain this mixed emotion lol
[Reply]
Bill86 12:48 AM 12-24-2010
Originally Posted by sikk50:
I loved the original and was nervious to see this one, but....as hard as it is for me to say, it surpassed the original! Its hard to explain this mixed emotion lol
No kidding, wow I'll pass it on. Might have to drag the old man to the theater to see this.
[Reply]
Darrell 01:01 PM 12-24-2010
Originally Posted by sikk50:
I didn't want to say it because I didn't want to be lynched by the angry mob of True Grit purists. It blew the original AWAY.
[Reply]
Bruins Fan 03:33 PM 12-29-2010
Just seen it, Bridges did a nice job, but save your money it will be out on DVD soon enough.
I give it a C+.
[Reply]
awsmith4 04:27 PM 12-29-2010
I loved it. Was it better than the original, not sure. It was different. If you are going into it wanting the same movie you will be disappointed; however, what is the point of remaking a western exactly the same? Why have two of the same movie? If its a Sci-Fi movie then remaking it the exact same but adding better special effects might be worth it, but a Western is no different now than when Wayne first played Cogburn. It would be similar to comparing Sean Connery and Daniel Craig as James Bond. Both are great for different reason. My recommendation is to see it and try not to compare it and you'll enjoy it much better.
[Reply]
marge796 04:51 PM 12-29-2010
Originally Posted by hscmit:

^^^ Yup, me too ^^^

:-)

Chris.....
[Reply]
Skywalker 07:55 AM 01-11-2011
Originally Posted by awsmith4:
I loved it. Was it better than the original, not sure. It was different. If you are going into it wanting the same movie you will be disappointed; however, what is the point of remaking a western exactly the same? Why have two of the same movie? If its a Sci-Fi movie then remaking it the exact same but adding better special effects might be worth it, but a Western is no different now than when Wayne first played Cogburn. It would be similar to comparing Sean Connery and Daniel Craig as James Bond. Both are great for different reason. My recommendation is to see it and try not to compare it and you'll enjoy it much better.
:-) :-)
[Reply]
Page 1 of 2
1 2 >
Up