Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum Mobile
Page 2 of 2
< 12
Accessory Discussion / Reviews>Xikar Cutter cleaning tips?
sikk50 02:17 PM 06-24-2009
I don't know what it does to the warrenty, but to fix that slight hang up problem when opening I tore the whole thing appart, cleaned with a qtip then put a slight bit of vasalin on the inside. seemed to help but I'll probaly have to wipe it off before sending in for sharpening
[Reply]
The Poet 03:13 PM 06-24-2009
Q-tips? Towlettes? What, did I stumble into the powder room by mistake? :-)

I just dump some rubbing alky on a wad of TP, and clean the blades. My Xikar has served me well this way for well over a year.

P.S. - See the :-)? See the :-)? That means it's a joke, or so I'm told.

:-)
[Reply]
Thrak 05:59 PM 06-24-2009
my Xi2 really sticks.. I have to pull it apart to open the hole all the way... Maybe I'll try the dish soap/hot water trick...
[Reply]
TripleF 07:19 PM 06-24-2009
Thanks for the tips guys. :-)

After talking to Xikar, looks like I am going to send it in for a new one since it came apart when I tried to pull on one side and the whole thing kinda cam unraveled.....
[Reply]
DPD6030 08:17 PM 06-24-2009
Good idea Scottie :-) My xi2 sticks as well. I have to force it open. May be sending mine in soon too.
[Reply]
TripleF 08:22 PM 06-24-2009
Originally Posted by DPD6030:
Good idea Scottie :-) My xi2 sticks as well. I have to force it open. May be sending mine in soon too.
You'd be shocked how happy they are to exchange it for you.....It's really fantastic customer service.....kinda like the old days! :-)
[Reply]
Wolfgang 08:24 PM 06-24-2009
I have taken mine apart a few times. It uses a torx style bit which is what most knife manufactures use aswell. But oh well glad you got a new one. MY TURN!
[Reply]
Thrak 06:56 AM 06-25-2009
I used some dish soap and hot water last night and now mine is like new... snaps open real quickly.

:-)
[Reply]
Smoke Naked 07:12 AM 06-25-2009
A little mineral oil and a q-tip works wonders.
[Reply]
Waynegro1 08:33 AM 06-25-2009
Another option is to bring it to an authorized Xikar retailer. I had a problem with my Xi3 a year ago and my B&M just gave me a new one and sent mine into Xikar themselves.
[Reply]
Starscream 02:04 PM 06-25-2009
I've had three of these over the past two years. All of them seem to stick after a few months worth of use. I'm not knocking Xikar at all (I keep using them), but I don't see the practicality in returning it everytime one of them gets hung up.

Do you guys take it apart to clean it, or just wipe the part of the blades that you can reach w/o taking it apart?
[Reply]
The Poet 02:06 PM 06-25-2009
I can't take a sandwich apart without getting mustard on my shirt, so I just wipe what I can reach. Seems to work for me.
[Reply]
Wolfgang 03:00 PM 06-25-2009
Try using an air compressor.
[Reply]
Waynegro1 05:11 PM 06-25-2009
Originally Posted by andysutherland:
I've had three of these over the past two years. All of them seem to stick after a few months worth of use. I'm not knocking Xikar at all (I keep using them), but I don't see the practicality in returning it everytime one of them gets hung up.

Do you guys take it apart to clean it, or just wipe the part of the blades that you can reach w/o taking it apart?
I just wipe the blades and metal parts that come into contact with tobacco. Q-Tip, Alcohol wipes are what I use. Air comp. sounds like a pretty good idea as well. :-) Shoot me your addy and I'll send you some 2x2 wipes that work great. :-)
[Reply]
Page 2 of 2
< 12
Up