Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum Mobile
Accessory Discussion / Reviews>Beads/ Humidor Dilemma
Ic3man08 11:20 PM 09-27-2009
Hey everyone, hope everyone is doing well. I am pretty new to the world of cigars, so I have been doing my research and basically learning as i go. Recently, i purchased a 40 cigar humidor from Cuban Crafters (very basic I guess for a beginner) and seasoned it according to the forum. I wasn't sure which technique to use, so I pretty much started by wiping it down with a cloth and distilled water. I calibrated the included hygrometer using the salt test and left it in the ziplock overnight, then set it to 75 (since it is adjustable). Then I placed a bowl of heated distilled water (on top of a plastic bag) and a shot glass of distilled water in the humidor as well. I closed it and left it in there for 7 days, checking it daily to make sure the water didn't spill and to check the progress. Well on 7th day, i took out the bowl and the shotglass and put in some "orleans" humidifier beads (http://www.orleansgroup.com/product_...gle%20jars.htm) and threw in my stogies. Well, I have been checking the humidor to see if it has maintained humidity, but it seems as if the hygrometer is lowering. At first, it was at 70, then began lowering to mid-60's, and today, it was at 60. What can this be? Are the beads any good or did I throw away $13? Also, how can I know if I am getting an accurate reading? I am planning on buying a digital hygrometer, maybe one I dont have to calibrate. Any suggestions? What are my options here? Sorry for the long post, just stressing :/. Thanks in advance.
[Reply]
Slavac 11:23 PM 09-27-2009
Hey boss:

Let's get numerical.

1. Welcome to the forums. Don't forget to post an intro thread.

2. Consider paragraphs.

3. You've a common issue. Either your humidor is crap (potentially has bad seals) or your beads are at fault.

4. An easy test would be to put your beads + hydrometer in a bag and see if the reading matches what the beads are supposed to put out.

5. If it's the beads at fault (I'd bet a stick or two on this) consider Heartfeltindustries.com for beads or PM Shilala directly as he also makes humidity beads.

Hope that helps.
[Reply]
Ic3man08 11:28 PM 09-27-2009
Intro is in the new inmate processing area. Did it I think Last wednesday. Under "Representing Miami" I think. Check it out. And thanks for the info.
[Reply]
DPD6030 11:45 PM 09-27-2009
-If it is one of those metal analog ones it usually is crap. Buy a decent digital adjustable hygrometer.

-No idea on the beads, I used heartfelt beads and switched to Shilala beads

-Don't rush things seasoning a humidor. The wood will soak up the humidity until it can hold no more. Not sure how long it takes but with my beads I'm at a near constant 63-65%

-My guess would be the hygrometer is not accurate. I salt test mine for 24-48 hours.
[Reply]
bobarian 12:21 AM 09-28-2009
Although a properly calibrated digital hygrometer may be more accurate, there is nothing wrong with the analog style. They have been in use for many years before the digital ones became available recently.

1) overnight is not long enough for a proper salt test. You need to leave the hygrometer at least 24 hours.

2) To check the seal on your humidor lift the top about 4 inches, then let it drop. It should not slam closed, rather the air should kind of make a "whooshing" sound. You can use a flashlight inside to check for gaps or use a dollar bill around each edge, it should be tight all the way around. If you find a spot where the bill just slips out easily you can use a small piece of masking tape to help make the seal tighter.

3) After seasoning, put your hygrometer inside for 24-48 hours it should show a fairly stable reading.

4) Just a few sticks in the humidor will be tough to maintain. As you fill it up it will be more stable. When its mostly empty, the humidified air will escape each time you open the top.

I see no reason to suspect either the humidor or hygromter at this point. Dont give up, it may take a while to get things perfect. You can keep your cigars in a zip lock bag or a tupperware type container for several weeks. Just open it up every couple of days to get fresh air inside. :-)
[Reply]
Ic3man08 12:24 AM 09-28-2009
Thanks for the advice. Much appreciated. And in my next post I promise to break up the long paragraph and be a little more organized with bullets or numbers, lol. Whoopps. I'm going to repeat the salt test tomorrow. Hope it works!
[Reply]
captain53 05:30 AM 09-28-2009
Common Problem and most if not everyone who enjoys cigars has been through it so hang in there and most of all be patient with it.

First thing is go to Walmart and buy an AcuRite Digital Hygro/Thermometer for $8.95 or so, sorry I don't have a picture but they are in the hdw department and are generally very good. about 3" tall and 2" wide or so.

It can take beads/new humidors a week or more to settle down and become somewhat stable so here is where the patience sets in. Also until it has a week or so to stabilize do not be opening it very often. I also would not put my stogies in it till it has a chance to get settled.

I would probably take everything out now and basically start over with seasoning, etc and the digital hygro. I have found that with very dry humis you have to wipe them down good with the distilled water/clean sponge 2 or 3 times about 1 hour apart to get them where they need to be. :-)

Now welcome to the world of cigars as you will get many different ideas than mine and many or all of them may be as or more correct! But you will not find any disagreement on the Patience aspect of the process.:-)

Good Luck!:-)
[Reply]
dogface_313 06:59 AM 09-28-2009
One more thing, is that when you first put your cigars into the humidor the RH may lower. I say it might, because this depends upon the RH of your cigars themselves. If they are more dry than the desired humidity level then the RH of the humidor will drop as the sticks suck up some mositure.
[Reply]
Up