Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum Mobile
Accessory Discussion / Reviews>Seasoning a humidor.
MrOneEyedBoh 01:21 AM 09-19-2009
My humidor isn't much, as far as the amount of cedar in there. Its a display case, so there is glass on all sides and the only cedar is the cedar stripes holding the glass in the the inside of the humidor ( about 3/8 thick ) and the cedar shelves.

Is this going to require the 7-14 days needed to fully season a typical humidor? Or since its minimal cedar in there maybe a few day or so? I started it this morning with a small bowl filled with maybe 1 inch of water and I put two bags of beads ( around 10g ) and the humidity is sitting at 69%. I'm pretty sure the hygrometer is correct.

The humidor only called for around 7 oz of beads. I was going to put 16oz in there to help keep the humidity top notch. But I may run a small cooler and use 5oz in there to keep its humidity stable.

Whatcha' think?
[Reply]
lostark374 02:26 AM 09-19-2009
Do you know what they call cigar smokers who "rush things"?

Cigarette smokers!...... :-) sorry just kidding. There are several thing happening when you season a humidor

1. You let the entire humidor absorb moisture to complete saturation. Not just till the hygo says "ok".
2. You let this piece of furniture acclimate to its surroundings. When this happens you can get leaks from expansion and contraction.
3. You let the humidity levels STABELIZE not just get high enough inside the humidor.

This is one step you shouldn’t rush.
[Reply]
bobarian 08:00 AM 09-19-2009
I see no reason to wait that long. Your storage is more like a cooler than a humidor. Put your beads inside and a calibrated hygrometer and watch the Rh over the course of a day or two. Once you can maintain a constant humidity level you should be good to go. But I suspect you may have problems. Glass top humidors are notoriously difficult to maintain. With that much glass you dont have any insulation against temperature changes, which in turn may make your rh swing wildly. But once things are stable, load er up. :-)
[Reply]
pnoon 08:03 AM 09-19-2009
Originally Posted by MrOneEyedBoh:
I'm pretty sure the hygrometer is correct.
How have you come to this conclusion?

Also, is the hygrometer analog or digital?
[Reply]
OLS 08:05 AM 09-19-2009
Originally Posted by lostark374:
Do you know what they call cigar smokers who "rush things"?

Do you know what they call posters who do not read the question before
answering?? They call them OLS's
[Reply]
captain53 08:08 AM 09-19-2009
:-)
[Reply]
MrOneEyedBoh 09:17 PM 09-19-2009
Ok, I did the salt test pnoon and it came back with 71 and I know it is supposed to be at 75%. Well I put the hygro in the cooler with the beads and a day later it reported back 65%, and that is what the beads are. SO maybe I under/over saturated the salt in the salt test and it didn't come back with a good reading. I did it in a tupperware container too. So maybe I didn't give it enough time to acclimate? I have it 12hrs.

Reason I think the hygro is on point is because the beads are 65% and I got 65% in the cooler. Ya know?

Its been sitting for 24 hours. Tomorrow I"ll put the cigars in there and see what happens from there.
[Reply]
DPD6030 02:38 PM 09-20-2009
I do a minimum 24 hours salt test in a sealed tupperware container. The salt solution should make it a slurry not dripping went not "moist" either. Do this for at least 24 hours and report back. If the hygo does not read 75% then it's off and you need to adjust that either on the hygro if adjustable or just write it down on a piece of paper.
[Reply]
pnoon 02:42 PM 09-20-2009
Originally Posted by DPD6030:
I do a minimum 24 hours salt test in a sealed tupperware container. The salt solution should make it a slurry not dripping went not "moist" either. Do this for at least 24 hours and report back. If the hygo does not read 75% then it's off and you need to adjust that either on the hygro if adjustable or just write it down on a piece of paper.
I agree, Andrew.

The salt test wasn't performed long enough. Nor we do we know what type of hygrometer is being used.
[Reply]
pnoon 02:44 PM 09-20-2009
Originally Posted by MrOneEyedBoh:

Reason I think the hygro is on point is because the beads are 65% and I got 65% in the cooler. Ya know?
I know lots of things.
I think your logic is flawed.
[Reply]
DPD6030 02:53 PM 09-20-2009
Originally Posted by pnoon:
I know lots of things.
I think your logic is flawed.
:-)

Mroneeyedboh,
silly noob. If you read more and post less your questions will be answered. There is a thread for just about all the questions you've asked so far. Not trying to jump your cigar but sometimes we need to read and post less. :-)

http://www.cigarasylum.com/vb/showthread.php?t=619 <-----salt test

http://www.cigarasylum.com/vb/showthread.php?t=618 <----beads

http://www.cigarasylum.com/vb/showthread.php?t=621 <----humidors

http://www.cigarasylum.com/vb/showthread.php?t=1754 <----- Beginner Questions
[Reply]
MrOneEyedBoh 06:51 PM 09-20-2009
Sooorrry. Its an acurite from Walmart.

This is it

http://www.partshelf.com/acu-rite-00613.html
[Reply]
chippewastud79 07:00 PM 09-20-2009
Originally Posted by DPD6030:
If you read more and post less your questions will be answered. There is a thread for just about all the questions you've asked so far.

:-) Slow down and read a little bit. And sarcasm towards the FOG's who are trying to answer all your random questions, each posted in an individual thread, is probably a bad idea. :-)
[Reply]
Up