Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum Mobile
Accessory Discussion / Reviews>The other day at the airport
Titan410 04:43 PM 09-12-2009
I had an interesting occurrence at the airport with my cigar accoutrements yesterday and thought it might be of interest to some here.
I packed two empty torch lighters and a full Corona Old Boy for my trip.
At my destination I had one of the torches filled, and bought a cheap double guillotine cutter.
So, on my return trip I had one half full torch, an empty torch and the full Corona Old Boy lighter.
When I went through security I completely forgot the half filled torch and the double guillotine was still in my pocked so they went into a tray by themselves. figured they were not going to allow them, but they took the torch and allowed the cutter.
They also spotted something in my suitcase that warranted further scrutiny (an (empty) stainless steel flask :-)) so they looked and also found the cheap Ronson (empty) torch and the Old Boy in a clear plastic bag nearby.
I thought as long as the torches were empty they were OK, but I was mistaken.
They were going to take both lighters but I was able to (eventually) get the TSA guy to operate the Old Boy and he allowed me to proceed once he saw it was a soft flame lighter.
SO, I lost a Ronson and another cheapy torch (that's why I took a chance with them) but they allowed the cutter and Old Boy to go through.
Very strange and YMMV.
[Reply]
G G 05:21 PM 09-12-2009
There is no consistency in what they do IMHO.
[Reply]
marge796 05:27 PM 09-12-2009
Originally Posted by ggainey:

^^^ I agree 150 % ^^^
[Reply]
SkinsFanLarry 06:32 PM 09-12-2009
....or where they do it!
[Reply]
Kreth 06:39 PM 09-12-2009
And with all the heightened security, they still fail to find simulated bombs on a regular basis...
Posted via Mobile Device
[Reply]
safariguy 06:48 PM 09-12-2009
You never know what you are going to get with TSA. I have worn the same exact clothing combination on several trips and had to take off some layers some times, and just walk right through other times. Same airport, same "threat level" color code, just different agents.
[Reply]
captain53 06:57 PM 09-12-2009
Cigar Cutters are not on the prohibited list but torch lighters are and it does not matter about fuel. But when you are in the line dealing with ******** what are you going to do? :-)

Prohibited Items
For Travelers

Torch lighters continue to be banned.:-)
[Reply]
captain53 07:05 PM 09-12-2009
Here is the list of items that includes cutters allowed:

http://www.seatguru.com/articles/tsa...ited_items.php
[Reply]
dinder1 08:42 PM 09-12-2009
I always throw a Havana cutter (mostly made of plastic) in my carry on luggage and have never had any problems. As for a lighter, I just walk on with a cheap Bic in my pocket which has never set of a metal detector.
[Reply]
DPD6030 09:09 PM 09-12-2009
You can bring lighters in a checked bag even if they have fuel in one of those yellow TSA cases.
[Reply]
Titan410 12:13 PM 09-15-2009
Originally Posted by DPD6030:
You can bring lighters in a checked bag even if they have fuel in one of those yellow TSA cases.
For once I was traveling light and didn't check a bag. I realized, other than losing a lighter or two, carry on only is the way to go if possible.
[Reply]
kenstogie 12:25 PM 09-15-2009
True story... I had a "friend" that was "well appointed" aka top heavy and she said that she ALWAYS got randomly stopped when she flew. So much so that she said she was used to it. man I miss her.
[Reply]
Up