Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum Mobile
Accessory Discussion / Reviews>Questions about dryboxing
GHC_Hambone 09:36 PM 06-17-2009
In the summers here, the humidity can get quite high so I have been thinking about dryboxing. I really have no clue how to go about it though so I had a few questions and I was hoping someone could help me out.

Question 1- Can I use a cigar box, or does it have to be a humidor?

I have a small 20 count humi and a few spare boxes. Obviously I would like to use a plain box so I can keep the humi for cigars :-). I know that boxes wont hold humidity that well, but I wasn't sure if it would be as much of a problem when dryboxing.

Question 2- Do I need humidification?

Well I guess the real question would be what is the optimum humidity for dryboxing, and do I need humidification for it?

Question 3- Assuming I get a drybox up and running, how long should I do it for, or how do you know when they are ready?

Thanks for reading and advice! Cheers!
[Reply]
adampc22 09:40 PM 06-17-2009
well mate i know it may be a diff rh were u are from me its about 100% prity much all the time hear but what i do is just put the cigars in a air tight plastic box with no humidifications and let them sit and i just check the cigars everyday to see how thay look and feel untill i think thay are dry enuff to go back in the humi hope that helps mate
[Reply]
NCRadioMan 09:45 PM 06-17-2009
Originally Posted by GHC_Hambone:

Question 1- Can I use a cigar box, or does it have to be a humidor?

Question 2- Do I need humidification?

Question 3- Assuming I get a drybox up and running, how long should I do it for, or how do you know when they are ready?

1. A cigar box will work fine.
2. Nope, that's why it's called dryboxing.
3. That is where you can experiement. It can be anywhere from a few days to a week or two.

I use a small desktop for a drybox and I'll keep cigars in there for up to two weeks depending on how wet the cigar is. The rh in there stays 45-50%.
[Reply]
Commander Quan 09:57 PM 06-17-2009
I've never understood "dry boxing". I take all my cigars out of the humi or the cooler and i smoke them. If you think yours you to moist why are you boxing it? Why not just set it on the counter for the afternoon? What properties does this magical box have that is any different from the ambient air?
[Reply]
adampc22 10:14 PM 06-17-2009
Originally Posted by Commander Quan:
I've never understood "dry boxing". I take all my cigars out of the humi or the cooler and i smoke them. If you think yours you to moist why are you boxing it? Why not just set it on the counter for the afternoon? What properties does this magical box have that is any different from the ambient air?
the air were i live is 30 times more humid than inside my humidor lol so i use a drybox cos i can make that alot lower the both my humi and my air in the air lol
[Reply]
NCRadioMan 10:16 PM 06-17-2009
What properties does this magical box have that is any different from the ambient air?
None, becuase that's all it is really. It's just a box to store the smokes while they sit. I'll keep anywhere from 10-20 cigars in there at one time. I don't want all those cigars just sitting on a counter. Small kids (niece and nephew) can be hell on things. :-)
[Reply]
icehog3 12:49 AM 06-18-2009
I like to keep the humidity low enough in my humidor (62-63RH) so that there is no need for dryboxing.
[Reply]
DPD6030 02:26 AM 06-18-2009
Originally Posted by icehog3:
I like to keep the humidity low enough in my humidor (62-63RH) so that there is no need for dryboxing.
Humidor? Don't you mean walk in closet Tom :-)

I get some cigars that have poor draws and I throw them in a spare cigar box that is in ambient humidty that is about 45-50%. Give them a few days and usually they improve. When they don't I use a draw tool and if they still don't then in the trash they go. I have plenty other fine smokes to choose from.
[Reply]
N2Advnture 06:10 AM 06-18-2009
Depends on your AMBIENT humidity. Many parts of the world have higher ambient humidity than what we keep our cigars stored.

If you are storing your cigars in a more moist RH (70%) or you have found draw issues with your cigars and you want to dry but your ambient humidity is 70% or higher, then you would need a humidor with something to reduce the relative humidity inside the humidor (eg: 60% or 65% RH beads)

How long you dry box depends on why you are dry boxing and how you have it set up but typically a few days to a week.

I hope this helps

~Mark
[Reply]
OLS 07:12 AM 06-19-2009
What properties does this magical box have that is any different from the ambient air?
Probably answered earlier, but who reads anything anymore? The box is a more gradual dryout, which in my experience with cigars, is always the way to go. On the counter is fine, it works really well. I guess I like having alot of boxes.
[Reply]
TheTraveler 08:03 AM 06-19-2009
For a look at the dangers on leaving cigars on a counter or table see this thread: :-)

http://www.cigarasylum.com/vb/showthread.php?t=17243
[Reply]
Up