Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum Mobile
Page 3 of 5
< 123 45 >
All Cigar Discussion>Cigar 25 CountDown
Footbag 05:03 PM 01-08-2009
Originally Posted by duckmanco:
Also, there is no way they couldn't tell what the Chisel was, even unbanded. Same goes for the Padron 80th. Both have distinctive looks IMO. I'm not saying they aren't good smokes, but this just seems off.

I totally agree with this. It seems odd that the #2 cigar is probably the most recognizable unbanded.
[Reply]
LkyLindy 06:07 PM 01-08-2009
Usual Fubar
[Reply]
Sauer Grapes 06:33 PM 01-08-2009
Originally Posted by duckmanco:
Also, there is no way they couldn't tell what the Chisel was, even unbanded. Same goes for the Padron 80th. Both have distinctive looks IMO. I'm not saying they aren't good smokes, but this just seems off.
How do you suggest CA do a blind taste test? Without including those cigars? I don't think you can blame CA for the recognizable shape of the cigars.

Not saying their ratings are perfect or impartial, just saying I think some are being too hard on them.
[Reply]
UPHOTO 07:06 PM 01-08-2009
I don't completely buy that it's all up to advertising dollars, I think it has something to do with it but not all.

There are LOTS of cigars that are rated in the top 25 that don't even advertise with them. Plus all the cigars in there are damn good and deserving.
[Reply]
Bear 09:07 AM 01-09-2009
Um... Casa Magna Colorado Robusto?

Has anyone had one?
[Reply]
jitzy 09:22 AM 01-09-2009
Originally Posted by Bear:

Has anyone had one?
I've had one and there ok but not even close to #1 I wouldn't even put it in the top ten. This just proves once again that they are corrupt :-)
[Reply]
GWags 10:10 AM 01-09-2009
Well if nothing else I'll be trying the Casa Magna and it won't break the bank.
[Reply]
Sauer Grapes 10:35 AM 01-09-2009
What's the story on the casa magna? Who makes it? This is a surprise as they usually reserve #1 for an expensive premium or Cuban cigar and give stuff like casa magna a token spot in the teens if they want to reward advertising or whatever.
[Reply]
borndead1 10:37 AM 01-09-2009
Originally Posted by Sauer Grapes:
What's the story on the casa magna? Who makes it? This is a surprise as they usually reserve #1 for an expensive premium or Cuban cigar and give stuff like casa magna a token spot in the teens if they want to reward advertising or whatever.

It's a Nicaraguan puro made by Nestor Plasencia for Manuel Quesada (MATASA). Never even heard of it until a few days ago!
[Reply]
ucla695 10:42 AM 01-09-2009
Originally Posted by SmokinApe:
I say make 'em smoke in the dark! :-)

This thing is rigged, but there are some good cigars on that list...
There are only a handful or so that I would even think about smoking. The list gets worse every year.
[Reply]
icehog3 11:09 AM 01-09-2009
Originally Posted by Bear:
:-) :-)
[Reply]
Totemic 11:30 AM 01-09-2009
Originally Posted by borndead1:
It's a Nicaraguan puro made by Nestor Plasencia for Manuel Quesada (MATASA). Never even heard of it until a few days ago!
Well according to TexCigar's web site, this blend was the replacement for the JdN Antano 1970's.

I have no idea what prompted CA to give this cigar the #1 spot. According to their own rating system, this cigar only got a 93 vs. 96 for Padron 80th. The only reasoning I can come up with is that this was a very good cigar and extremely inexpensive, giving it high marks for the "value".

But then, that flies in the face of giving Padron 80th the number 2 spot since, while it's a great cigar, at $30 a pop, it sucks in the value aspect.
[Reply]
skibumdc 11:50 AM 01-09-2009
I still stand behind my question of whether cuban LE's or Re's are eligable for the ranking?
My guess is they are NOT, b/c several of the RE's (Eminencia, Estupendo) are better than a Padrom IMO and beat it on the value as well.
Heck, what about a Trini Ingenio LE...oh well.

I know the guys at my local B&M do like the Casa Magna since the day it arrived a few months back...but no one would ave out it #1.
Can someone say Kickback?
[Reply]
AndyMadera 11:52 AM 01-09-2009
well, i would say it would be mine.... but they didnt smoke it so i doubt it!
[Reply]
AndyMadera 11:57 AM 01-09-2009
Originally Posted by Totemic:
Well according to TexCigar's web site, this blend was the replacement for the JdN Antano 1970's.

I have no idea what prompted CA to give this cigar the #1 spot. According to their own rating system, this cigar only got a 93 vs. 96 for Padron 80th. The only reasoning I can come up with is that this was a very good cigar and extremely inexpensive, giving it high marks for the "value".

But then, that flies in the face of giving Padron 80th the number 2 spot since, while it's a great cigar, at $30 a pop, it sucks in the value aspect.
Well you do know that CA is a FOR-PROFIT company.... and Plasencia is well.... filthy rich...
[Reply]
NCRadioMan 12:12 PM 01-09-2009
The Casa Magna is a darn good cigar but I just don't think it should be anywhere near the top.
[Reply]
doctorcue 02:06 PM 01-09-2009
First words out of my mouth when I saw the #1: "You kidding me?"

Wow...
[Reply]
LkyLindy 09:42 PM 01-09-2009
Milk of Magmasia is more like it-Fubar
[Reply]
KidRock 09:58 PM 01-09-2009
Originally Posted by LkyLindy:
Milk of Magmasia is more like it-Fubar
:-) AHHHHHHHHHHAAAAAAAHAAA