Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum Mobile
Page 1 of 2
1 2 >
All Cigar Discussion>What is it About Davidoff?
RHNewfie 12:59 PM 10-17-2008
I never understood the fascination with them. Had one a long time ago, probably before I understood what a "good cigar" was but I dont remember it being that memorable.

Tell me what you like about them...

Thanks!!
[Reply]
JKim 01:01 PM 10-17-2008
Perfect construction, perfect burn, perfect draw, and typically pretty durn tasty. I haven't enjoyed every Davidoff product that I've smoked as much as the one's that are really on, but I've never had one that was bad.

Worth the price point? That's a good question.
[Reply]
GrtndpwrflOZ 01:05 PM 10-17-2008
I have a box of 100th Anni Diadema Finas (10)
that I haven't smoked one yert but they have to be the best looking cigar I have ever seen. Flawless.
Thanks Bryan.....Where is Addiction anyway?

I have some PC's from 03 & 05 and the 03's are pretty damn tasty, haven't gotten to the 05's yet.

OZ
[Reply]
DrDubzz 01:06 PM 10-17-2008
Originally Posted by GrtndpwrflOZ:
that I haven't smoked one yert but they have to be the best looking cigar I have ever seen. Flawless.

I have some PC's from 03 & 05 and the 03's are pretty damn tasty, haven't gotten to the 05's yet.

OZ

I have a box of the 100 anny robustos, haven't brought myself to light one up yet... wish I had a box of the diademas too
[Reply]
RHNewfie 01:24 PM 10-17-2008
What is the typical flavor profile? Much variation between the different blends etc or is there a consistent core flavor?
[Reply]
JKim 01:30 PM 10-17-2008
Nutty, creamy, sweet, with herbs thrown in here and there.
[Reply]
Beer Doctor 01:30 PM 10-17-2008
Originally Posted by RHNewfie:
What is the typical flavor profile? Much variation between the different blends etc or is there a consistent core flavor?
Grassy. My FIL loves them for their grassy flavor. I had a millenium lancero that was great. Tasted like grassy chocolate.:-)
[Reply]
Pyro 01:32 PM 10-17-2008
Originally Posted by RHNewfie:
I never understood the fascination with them...
Well, I will certainly agree on that they have perfect construction and an elegant aroma. BUT, they are terribly overpriced for what you get taste-wise! Davidoff appeals to the casual consumer with lots of money. The brand, like Cuban Cohiba and Montecristo, is meant to be expensive but unlike the Cuban brands mentioned, you hardly get anything for your money! :-)

The only Davidoff that I enjoy is Millenium Petit Corona.
[Reply]
Dgar 01:32 PM 10-17-2008
I've smoked one or two, but never overwhelmed... a lot pricey IMO.

Quality stuff, no doubt.... just not my cup of tea, I remember the ones I smoked being a little mild for my taste. If I want a nice mild cigar, give me a Casa Torano with a cup of coffee in the AM.... nice:-)
[Reply]
Scottw 01:36 PM 10-17-2008
Never had one but it was Gordon Gekko's favorite in Wall St.
[Reply]
BillyCigars 02:11 PM 10-17-2008
I think Ji summed it up perfectly. Even though I agree that Davidoffs are pricey, for me, it's more than worth it. For the experience it provides me, there is no other cigar that comes close.

If you're looking to get kicked in the nuts by a cigar's strength, move past the Davidoffs. They're exceptionally complex, filled with subtlety and nuance, and a cigar that is best enjoyed when you have quality time to dedicate to it.

I've NEVER been dissapointed by a single Davidoff. Ever. But I've been dissapointed by every other cigar at one time or another. At the risk of sounding too cerebral, I literally find myself having a real experience everytime I light one up. Just like really good cooking, you can taste the love that was put into these cigars. Its all in the construction, aroma, taste, burn qualities, strength, and overall character.

My tastes are wide-ranging. From Macanudo Gold Labels to Illusione Holy Lances. But if I fire up a Davidoff, it's because I have time to really sit down and spend some quiet time, contemplating the days events, and enjoy one. And in the end, it's all about the experience and enjoyment a cigar provides you.

Honestly though, I can see how smoking one knowing how much you paid for it, could actually distract from the enjoyment of it :-)
[Reply]
gettysburgfreak 02:23 PM 10-17-2008
I like looking at them, love the cigar band, perfect color and construction
[Reply]
php007 02:40 PM 10-17-2008
The thousand and clasics are flavorfull but mild. The special serise and millenium lines are more of a medinum body with lots of flavor. Then you have the Limited Editions which are just amazing in both flavor and strenght. I agree that they are not for everyone but as stated above if you have the time and money I don't think you will be disappointed with the flavor.

just my :-)
[Reply]
RHNewfie 03:34 PM 10-17-2008
Thanks for all the input folks, I think I shall have to give them another try!
[Reply]
papajohn67 03:35 PM 10-17-2008
Originally Posted by GrtndpwrflOZ:

OZ
The 100th Anni Diadema is one of the best damn cigars I have ever smoked. Friend of mine and fellow BOTL Frank "Jechelman" is in the same camp. I've got a box + 3 singles resting in the humi for special occasions. Priced at $20 + it makes it hard for them in many peoples eyes to stand up to many of the CC's but even if I were offered the choice between a Sig VI or a 100th Anni I would most likely grab the latter. Plus I don't have to worry about those black helicopters. :-)
[Reply]
UPHOTO 03:41 PM 10-17-2008
I've always wondered also but I've never tried one.

I'm always confused to what to try in their line with all the options and the price of each one to try. If I have a bad one at that price it will probably turn me off.

One day........
[Reply]
Boomer 03:43 PM 10-17-2008
Most of the Davidoff's I have burned reminded me of a very, very good Macanudo Hyde Park as far a flavor but the construction and appearance is without equal.
[Reply]
JKim 03:50 PM 10-17-2008
I guess my only complaint is that you don't always get them with that clean white band that makes them look elegant.

[Reply]
SteveA 03:55 PM 10-17-2008
Originally Posted by RX2010:
I have a box of the 100 anny robustos, haven't brought myself to light one up yet... wish I had a box of the diademas too
I've smoked 2 from my box. Both damn good.

I smoke one a year on my wedding anniversary (give or take a day depending on circumstances).
[Reply]
php007 03:59 PM 10-17-2008
Originally Posted by JKim:
I guess my only complaint is that you don't always get them with that clean white band that makes them look elegant.

I will be happy to trade you those dirty ones for some clean white new ones.
:-):-)
[Reply]
Page 1 of 2
1 2 >
Up