< 12
All Cigar Discussion>Do you dry box?
d'am 04:39 PM 08-31-2010
Originally Posted by icantbejon:

For those that have tried and don't find it useful:

1. What went wrong?
2. Why do you think it happened?

Just wanting a little more info is all.
I don't think anything went wrong. I just didn't notice much or any of a difference. If I store my cigars at 65%RH, a day at ~50%RH doesn't like much of a change. Like a lot of others, I'd prefer to select a stick from my humidor just before I smoke it, rather than planning in advance.
[Reply]
bishjd123 09:06 AM 09-01-2010
I store mine at 65/65. It allows me to grab and go for what piques my interest at the time I want to smoke.
[Reply]
OLS 09:15 AM 09-01-2010
I Lay a cigar out on the counter overnight. Improves every aspect of the smoking experience.
Naturally, I do not make allowances for the preferences of others, this is how I DO IT. But I
had my first bad draw in maybe 50-75 smokes the other day. Sale stick, du Dauphin, so like
Bobarino, I call that a manufacturer's defect.
In answer to your specific Q's, a week might be too long, a month probably ruins the cigar,
but never say never. PLANNING for smoking is more of a harvest of ready to smoke sticks.
I would go through all my stock, pull out a flaked wrapper here, a hideous wrapper there,
a particularly oily cigar in another box, then I put them all in a desktop. When I want to smoke
a couple of cigars over a weekend, I might pull out two or three for that and lay em out overnight.
If they don't get smoked, I just toss em back in the desktop. For those who posted and stated that
they do not want to be restricted or over-planned, I think that the desktop in the middle of deep
storage and "a night on the counter" is a good happy medium. And I'd be lying if I said that
I ALWAYS DRYBOX. :-)
[Reply]
dvickery 12:45 PM 09-01-2010
i age at 62%...this can be for a looooooong time...rarely less than 3 or 4 years any more and seldom are the cigars themselves less than 10 years any more.

open boxes(the boxes i am smoking from)...i move to a humi at 65% or 66%.

i just find they smoke better(slower) and taste better(for me) if i "wet box".

just gotta be different
derrek :-)
[Reply]
icehog3 04:24 PM 09-01-2010
Originally Posted by dvickery:
i age at 62%...this can be for a looooooong time...rarely less than 3 or 4 years any more and seldom are the cigars themselves less than 10 years any more.

open boxes(the boxes i am smoking from)...i move to a humi at 65% or 66%.

i just find they smoke better(slower) and taste better(for me) if i "wet box".

just gotta be different
derrek :-)
Interesting take, Derrek, I say "whatever works". :-)
[Reply]
JohnE1000 09:49 AM 09-07-2010
All of my cigars are kept in 65rh, so dry boxing is not needed. I don't plan which cigar to smoke next. It depends on what I am in the mood for at the moment; it could be any cigar.

Acidic drinks and food can ruin your pallet, so I stay away from this types of food, it I am planing on smoking.

Petit Coronas and perfectos are better smoked on the dry side. Larger gauge cigars are more forgiven to humidity.
[Reply]
Tank 08:02 PM 09-11-2010
I like my cigars stored at 70-75% humidity. I usually pull out some sticks for the week and put them in a dry box or travel humidor.
[Reply]
Page 2 of 2
< 12
Up