Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum Mobile
Page 24 of 70
« First < 14222324 252634 > Last »
Wine, Beer, and Spirits>Homebrewers - Whats in the fermenter?
potlimit 10:45 PM 02-06-2011
Wow Tim, awesome... looks like it works like a charm too.
[Reply]
kaisersozei 10:43 AM 02-07-2011
Originally Posted by potlimit:
Wow Tim, awesome... looks like it works like a charm too.
Cool!

Now, what is it, and how do you use it? :-)
[Reply]
Zeuceone 10:45 AM 02-07-2011
Originally Posted by hammondc:
Wooooooop! First brew is in process. just dropped my grain bag in @ 160*.

It is a English Brown Ale.
have you sampled any yet?
[Reply]
rack04 10:47 AM 02-07-2011
Originally Posted by kaisersozei:
Cool!

Now, what is it, and how do you use it? :-)
It's a stir plate for yeast starters.

http://www.brewmorebeer.com/building...e-for-brewing/
[Reply]
kaisersozei 10:48 AM 02-07-2011
Originally Posted by rack04:

Interesting :-) For years I've just done the old manual labor version!

You kids these days and your newfangled toys.
[Reply]
rack04 02:09 PM 02-07-2011
This weekend I'll be brewing an Irish Red Ale. Hopefully I'll be able to sample my Bavarian Hefeweizen by then. It will be bottled 2 weeks on the scheduled brew day.
[Reply]
cricky101 03:21 PM 02-07-2011
Bottling my Surly Furious clone this weekend. Gonna try a hefeweizen next, but not sure when I'll get to it. Looking at the Paulaner Hefe clone from Austin Homebrew Supply.
[Reply]
earnold25 03:55 PM 02-07-2011
Started my first batch last week. An Irish stout. Fermentation has slowed considerably. Wondering when to start taking gravity readings. (tapping my foot impatiently)
[Reply]
St. Lou Stu 07:43 PM 02-07-2011

Originally Posted by kaisersozei:
Interesting :-) For years I've just done the old manual labor version!

You kids these days and your newfangled toys.
Credit where credit is due... I was inspired by Justin's build.
I've put this off forever. Hell, I have a full electronics lab capable of building ANYTHING electronic right outside my office door.

My total cost... $0.
I'll look into the actual cost of the individual pieces and possibly build up a handful to a dozen more.
I expect that I can make these for $20-30 or less.
Stay tuned.
Time and motivation will be my limiting factors.
[Reply]
St. Lou Stu 07:45 PM 02-07-2011
Originally Posted by earnold25:
Started my first batch last week. An Irish stout. Fermentation has slowed considerably. Wondering when to start taking gravity readings. (tapping my foot impatiently)
I usually wait 3 weeks before taking gravity readings now.
In my impatient times, I started measuring after 10 days.
[Reply]
earnold25 07:58 PM 02-07-2011
Originally Posted by St. Lou Stu:
I usually wait 3 weeks before taking gravity readings now.
In my impatient times, I started measuring after 10 days.
Cool. One other thing in my OG was higher then the recipe stated it should be. (I'm guessing not enough water?). Do I need to adjust the FG to know when I'm done or use what the recipe states for that?
[Reply]
St. Lou Stu 08:01 PM 02-07-2011
Cool. One other thing in my OG was higher then the recipe stated it should be. (I'm guessing not enough water?). Do I need to adjust the FG to know when I'm done or use what the recipe states for that?
What was your starting gravity?
What yeast did you use?
What temperature have you been fermenting at?
Was this an extract batch? Did it have steeping grains?

Answer those and I can give you a target range for Final Gravity... and the method for figuring it out. :-)
[Reply]
earnold25 08:14 PM 02-07-2011
What was your starting gravity? 1.065 ( recipe said 1.046 - 1.050)
What yeast did you use? Wyeast Irish ale prop. ( on a starter)
What temperature have you been fermenting at? Around 68 - 70
Was this an extract batch? Did it have steeping grains? Yes and yes ( steeped at 150)

Answer those and I can give you a target range for Final Gravity... and the method for figuring it out. :-)

Thanks!
[Reply]
Salvelinus 08:27 PM 02-07-2011
I'm surprised at the three weeks wait time, that is pretty brew dependent right? I just bottled my SNPA clone after two weeks, one primary, one secondary and it was dead on for the expected final gravity (1.016 FG, 1.058 OG). I know I am impatient, but am I missing something?
[Reply]
St. Lou Stu 08:29 PM 02-07-2011
What was your starting gravity? 1.065 ( recipe said 1.046 - 1.050)
What yeast did you use? Wyeast Irish ale prop. ( on a starter)
What temperature have you been fermenting at? Around 68 - 70
Was this an extract batch? Did it have steeping grains? Yes and yes ( steeped at 150)

Thanks!
mkay, Wyeast 1084 will have 71-75% attenuation and all of your conditions look great for that yeast so you could expect a 1.019-1.016 final. I would lean towards the higher side of middle since it is extract with steeped grains. If you hadn't done a starter, I would say the high end.

Here's how I came up with that:
FG = -(((A%/100)(SG-1))-SG)

Note the negative symbol in front of the parens. it'll work without, but yield a negative number.

FG is the final gravity for a given starting gravity (SG) and a given attenuation (A%).
Yeast strain attenuations can be found on their respective manufacturer sites. I always plug in the high (75% in this case) and low (71%) to get the min/max and make judgments based off of conditions.

What did the recipe say final would be? 1.012-1.015?
[Reply]
St. Lou Stu 08:32 PM 02-07-2011
Originally Posted by Salvelinus:
I'm surprised at the three weeks wait time, that is pretty brew dependent right? I just bottled my SNPA clone after two weeks, one primary, one secondary and it was dead on for the expected final gravity (1.016 FG, 1.058 OG). I know I am impatient, but am I missing something?
Nope, not missing anything. I just wait 3. Normal beers may be done at 10 days to two weeks, but the additional week wait isn't going to hurt anything.
I have a beer now that is going on 4-5 weeks fermenting... and it still isn't done... but it started stoopid high gravity.
[Reply]
earnold25 08:59 PM 02-07-2011
What did the recipe say final would be? 1.012-1.015?
close. 1.011-1.014 :-)

thanks for the help. i'll keep ya posted :-)

was i correct in assuming that the OG was off due to not enough water in the final wort? i.e. too much boiled off?
[Reply]
St. Lou Stu 09:06 PM 02-07-2011
close. 1.011-1.014 :-)

thanks for the help. i'll keep ya posted :-)

was i correct in assuming that the OG was off due to not enough water in the final wort? i.e. too much boiled off?
Funny, I rounded up and they truncated. My actual calcs were 1.0115 and 1.0145.

That is the most likely thing that coulda done it. Although, you woulda had to have lost quite a bit due to boil off to get that high. Cold break and trub in the sample can also give false high gravity readings. I always manage to screw up temperature factors on warm readings too (calculation error?).
If you run short again you can always add plain, boiled water to the wort to top off prior to fermentation and after the boil.
Regardless, it'll be fine.
[Reply]
earnold25 09:08 PM 02-07-2011
That is the most likely thing that coulda done it. Although, you woulda had to have lost quite a bit due to boil off to get that high. Cold break and trub in the sample can also give false high gravity readings. I always manage to screw up temperature factors on warm readings too (calculation error?).
If you run short again you can always add plain, boiled water to the wort to top off prior to fermentation and after the boil.
Regardless, it'll be fine.
gotcha. i did add some, but i wasn't sure how much liquid i was dealing with and didn't want to bring to total over 5 gallons.
[Reply]
CasaDooley 09:17 PM 02-07-2011

Heres another one I thought was cool.:-)

http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f51/ciga...r-plate-46130/
[Reply]
Page 24 of 70
« First < 14222324 252634 > Last »
Up