General Discussion>Greatest Rock & Roll Song - Ever
jjirons69 03:13 PM 08-24-2009
Originally Posted by MajorCaptSilly:
Won't Get Fooled Again

MCS
What about "Love Reign O'er Me"?
[Reply]
Don Fernando 03:14 PM 08-24-2009
I can't pick just one song, the no.1 depends on my mood. But my ringtone is Cult of Personality from Living Colour, and it is my ringtone for a reason.
[Reply]
MajorCaptSilly 03:20 PM 08-24-2009
Originally Posted by jjirons69:
That's the greatest song ever! It surpasses the confines of rock-n-roll baybeee!

MCS
[Reply]
Scothew 03:27 PM 08-24-2009
I love that song! I didn't think another soul in the world knew about it.
Make that 3 :-) Im a huge Floyd fan.

I acctually consider Pink Floyds - Wish You Were Here to be a great rock song. Its distinguisable by within the first second of its playing due to unforgettable riff, amazing lyrics and meaning and showcases musicianship of the band. Granted there are other songs of theirs I love much much more, but this is one of their best as far as mainstream rock that is still carried on today.

Aerosmith - Sweet Emotion is a good notable mention.

Peter Framptons - Do You Feel Like We Do.. can't believe it hasnt been brought up.
[Reply]
csbrewfisher 03:28 PM 08-24-2009
I love that song! I didn't think another soul in the world knew about it.
...a comment which suggests that this is "my favorite", not the "best ever".

Although...popularity does not directly translate to quality, as demonstrated by Swisher.
[Reply]
The Poet 03:29 PM 08-24-2009
Listen, I know there is no right answer to the question, just as I know opinions are like @$$holes - everybody has at least one, and likely two if they count the one they made themselves. But the electric guitar is the Apollonian heart-and-soul of rock'n'roll (despite your definition of the term), and Rolling Stone's list of best guitarists ever put Jimi first and Duane second. Yet so far only one other person has mentioned Jimi, and no one has mentioned The Allmans, whereas The Who have been all but lionized. Now, I like them myself, but WTF???
[Reply]
csbrewfisher 03:35 PM 08-24-2009
Originally Posted by The Poet:
Listen, I know there is no right answer to the question, just as I know opinions are like @$$holes - everybody has at least one, and likely two if they count the one they made themselves. But the electric guitar is the Apollonian heart-and-soul of rock'n'roll (despite your definition of the term), and Rolling Stone's list of best guitarists ever put Jimi first and Duane second. Yet so far only one other person has mentioned Jimi, and no one has mentioned The Allmans, whereas The Who have been all but lionized. Now, I like them myself, but WTF???
All good points. But the best rock and roll song does not necessarily mean it was played by the greatest guitarist. I mean, look at "Great Balls of Fire". Let's also remember that Rolling Stone listed Curt Cobain in the top 100. ????
[Reply]
The Poet 03:39 PM 08-24-2009
Originally Posted by csbrewfisher:
Let's also remember that Rolling Stone listed Curt Cobain in the top 100. ????

I think that was a shotgun wedding. :-)
[Reply]
tobii3 03:53 PM 08-24-2009
Jessica

If you need to ask by who, you should be taken outside and beaten. (or have your diaper changed)

:-)
[Reply]
Dunkel 04:02 PM 08-24-2009
To judge one song as the best rock & roll is very tough, especially if the person answering the question knows music beyond what the radio plays. I'm going to come out of left field with this one.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OMxHBcqAFro

The Allman Brothers Soulshine
[Reply]
hotreds 04:42 PM 08-24-2009
Nights in White Satin

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9muzyOd4Lh8

House of the Rising Sun

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C86oH...eature=related
[Reply]
Resipsa 04:54 PM 08-24-2009
I'm going to have to go with

"Come On Eileen" by Dexies Midnight Runners after much thought
t:-):-):-)
[Reply]
Bruins Fan 05:03 PM 08-24-2009
Niel Young...Cowgirl in the sand :-)
[Reply]
icehog3 05:38 PM 08-24-2009
Originally Posted by csbrewfisher:
Sorry Tom. It's "I'm going Home" by Ten Years After...
No need to be sorry, Jerry, I was just wonderign what you picked. :-)
[Reply]
icehog3 05:41 PM 08-24-2009
Originally Posted by The Poet:
no one has mentioned The Allmans, whereas The Who have been all but lionized. Now, I like them myself, but WTF???
Midnight Rider would be right up there. :-)
[Reply]
gettysburgfreak 05:41 PM 08-24-2009
Simple Man
Freebird

I could listen to these songs every day. Great lyrics and great sound
[Reply]
icehog3 05:41 PM 08-24-2009
Eddie Vedder did an excellent version of that last night in Chicago. :-)
[Reply]
floydp 05:41 PM 08-24-2009
Originally Posted by Resipsa:

:-):-)
[Reply]
icehog3 05:42 PM 08-24-2009
Originally Posted by Resipsa:

I hate you, Vic. :-)
[Reply]
Silound 06:17 PM 08-24-2009
Throughout my life, as long as I have listened to music, I've sought to find that one song that best fills the artistic and personal void that we all have. We all look for that feeling, but most of us never find it in one song, rather we find it encompassed in a series of songs, drawing strengths from each.

Personally, the closest I have ever come to filling that void has happened twice in my life. The first was when I sat one day and listened to the complete works of Led Zeppelin as they were arranged on the albums. The way the songs are arranged to call and respond to one anthers' musical qualities and nuances is often beyond my ability to describe.

The second time I nearly hit that void was with The Eagles. If I had to pick that one song, it would be Lyin' Eyes. The simple soft rock/country rhythm combined Glenn Frey's vocal clarity and seamless transitions and the backing voices/instruments of the rest of the Eagles hit a certain spot with me. The lyrics, while outright with intent convey a deeper meaning of selfish, deceitful actions and life's consequences for your failures.

My :-)
[Reply]
Page 2 of 5
< 12 34 > Last »
Up