Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum Mobile
Good Eats>New Sous Vide Container
CigarNut 07:29 PM 03-03-2016
I have been using a 24 quart stock pot for my sous vide cooking and it worked fine. The only caveat is that the pot is 12 inches in diameter, which limited what I could cook.

I was going to order a Cambro box, like the one Dom and others have but as I was browsing Amazon I found another box by LIPAVI that also had a lid specifically for the Anova.

I used the box first time today and it was great! The only catch is that the way the lid fits does allow some condensation to leak over the side of the box, but fortunately, it was a very small amount.

The box and lid are ordered separately and they are not cheap, but I do like them. Now I just need to find a place to store it :-)

Attached: SousVideBath.jpg (67.8 KB) 
[Reply]
markem 07:36 PM 03-03-2016
Bravo!

but now I hate you... :-)
[Reply]
Black Coral 01:40 PM 03-04-2016
Take the lid off and use ping pong balls. That's what I did and works great with the box
[Reply]
CigarNut 05:14 PM 03-04-2016
I thought about getting the ping pong balls, but when I saw this I jumped on it -- one lid is a lot easier to deal with then all those ping pong balls.
[Reply]
jonumberone 06:31 AM 03-06-2016
Michael, how is the fit around the Anova?
Do you get any condensation on the unit?
[Reply]
CigarNut 10:12 AM 03-06-2016
The fit around the Anova seems to be pretty good. I have only used it for one cook, but I ran the (brand new replacement) Anova for several hours beforehand and I did not notice any condensation around the unit.

A lot of condensation accumulates on the lid (as expected) and a little leaks (some drops) out at the edges.

Next time I use it I will take some more pics.
[Reply]
Chainsaw13 11:20 AM 03-06-2016
Michael, maybe something small in the center of the lid will help the condensation? Just enough to let it trickle back to the center and drip back into the container.
[Reply]
CigarNut 12:40 PM 03-06-2016
The lid is hard plastic and is pretty flat. When I can I give it a couple of hard taps to get the condensation to drop off.
[Reply]
CigarNut 05:19 PM 03-18-2016
Originally Posted by jonumberone:
Michael, how is the fit around the Anova?
Do you get any condensation on the unit?
Originally Posted by Chainsaw13:
Michael, maybe something small in the center of the lid will help the condensation? Just enough to let it trickle back to the center and drip back into the container.
Here are some pics. Note that while there is a small gap between the lid and the Anova, condensation does not seem to collect around the Anova,

You can see in the pictures below that the condensation does seep out the edge of the lid, but the seepage is very little and more an annoyance than a problem.

Overall, I am very happy with this container and I get some exercise carrying the full container (~50 lbs) between the sink and the counter...
Attached: sousvidelid1.jpg (68.5 KB) sousvidelid2.jpg (72.3 KB) sousvidelid3.jpg (59.1 KB) sousvidelid4.jpg (44.9 KB) sousvidelid5.jpg (46.1 KB) 
[Reply]
StuartIsRelaxed 07:33 PM 09-25-2016
You know what else works as a great Sous Vide container for smaller cooks?
Those cereal containers! The plastic ones with the lids, like this one. The hole at the top is perfect for an Anova and requries little modification. Evaporation is not at all a problem with that thing.
[Reply]
Up