Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum Mobile
Page 1 of 2
1 2 >
Accessory Discussion / Reviews>Gel Water Beads
Tuxguy 08:51 PM 02-27-2009
So the wife and I went to the Home and Garden show this evening. There was a booth selling these gel water beads to more or less put in vases of plants and flowers. The wife decided she wanted some, so we bought some. They are really tiny but once you add water they expand and hold the water for awhile. Over time they shrink up and then you add more water. My question is, will these work in my humidors if I add distilled water to them. I do not see why not, the only issue that I see is controlling the RH.
Here is a link of the beads I am speaking of.
http://www.soilmoist.com/products/decobeads.php
[Reply]
Darrell 08:54 PM 02-27-2009
Originally Posted by Tuxguy:
I do not see why not, the only issue that I see is controlling the RH.
Isn't that reason enough to rule them out as a means of humidifying your sticks.

Honestly, it's not worth the risk.

:-)
[Reply]
Tuxguy 09:03 PM 02-27-2009
Originally Posted by Darrell:
Isn't that reason enough to rule them out as a means of humidifying your sticks.

Honestly, it's not worth the risk.

:-)
I have Heartfelt beads in both my humidors so I have no need to put these in there. I was just wondering if these things would work though. You really can not control the RH if you use that floral foam crap either.
[Reply]
Darrell 09:04 PM 02-27-2009
Originally Posted by Tuxguy:
I have Heartfelt beads in both my humidors so I have no need to put these in there. I was just wondering if these things would work though.
I really doubt it. Since their is no means of controlling or regulating the humidity I bet it would go buck wild depending on ambient temp/RH. :-)
[Reply]
RonC 09:08 PM 02-27-2009
these crystals are what is used in Drymistat brand humidity tubes. They are also what is in the Xikar Gel Humidifiers, and the gel humidifiers that I sell. Do not fill them with straight distilled water. Fill them with a water /pg solution, and your humidity will stay at about 70%. one advantage of these crystals is that they hold a LOT of humidor solution. they last a long time.
[Reply]
M1903A1 09:16 PM 02-27-2009
Originally Posted by RonC:
They are also what is in the Xikar Gel Humidifiers
I bought a couple of these not too long ago, and my RH (and sticks) have improved a LOT. Agree 100% about the 50/50 solution too.
[Reply]
Tuxguy 09:20 PM 02-27-2009
these crystals are what is used in Drymistat brand humidity tubes. They are also what is in the Xikar Gel Humidifiers, and the gel humidifiers that I sell. Do not fill them with straight distilled water. Fill them with a water /pg solution, and your humidity will stay at about 70%. one advantage of these crystals is that they hold a LOT of humidor solution. they last a long time.
Interesting
[Reply]
JaKaacH 09:38 PM 02-27-2009
I use them in my humidors and coolers with distilled water only, they work great.
I'm pretty sure it is the same stuff thats in "water pillows" sold in B&Ms everywhere.
[Reply]
Tenor CS 10:31 PM 02-27-2009
I use Heartfelt beads in my big humidors. However, I use the Drymistat tubes in my travel humidors, and the 3 small 20-count humis that I have. RonC has, in my purchases from him, shown to have top-notch products, and I will definitely heed his advice to use a H2O/PG solution rather than straight distilled. It makes sense to me.
[Reply]
RonC 09:06 AM 02-28-2009
Originally Posted by JaKaacH:
I use them in my humidors and coolers with distilled water only, they work great.
I'm pretty sure it is the same stuff thats in "water pillows" sold in B&Ms everywhere.
it is the stuff thats in Water Pillows.

using the PG mix in the Pillows makes them work even better.
[Reply]
pmp 10:11 AM 02-28-2009
Yes it works. They make many sizes of crystal gel humidifier that replace the standard humidifiers inside your humidor quite nicely. One of the best upgrades you can make to a desktop humidor is to use this over florist foam type humidifiers.
[Reply]
Totemic 11:49 AM 02-28-2009
How well would these work in things like Hydra/Oasis? Instead of filling the foam containers with distilled water, can you remove the foam completely and fill them up with these gels then add distilled water?
[Reply]
RonC 11:59 AM 02-28-2009
Originally Posted by Totemic:
How well would these work in things like Hydra/Oasis? Instead of filling the foam containers with distilled water, can you remove the foam completely and fill them up with these gels then add distilled water?
many people have done this, and it works extremely well. one warning, I have heard of some warranty issues for altering the product
[Reply]
Tenor CS 08:51 PM 02-28-2009
I think s15driftking (Bobby) did this recently, complete with pics.

Link here: http://www.cigarasylum.com/vb/showth...ighlight=oasis
[Reply]
h20beads.com 04:32 PM 08-11-2009
I sell these gel balls you speak of go to www.h20beads.com contact for more info!

Thanks,
John
[Reply]
AD720 04:40 PM 08-11-2009

Originally Posted by Tenor CS:
I think s15driftking (Bobby) did this recently, complete with pics.

Link here: http://www.cigarasylum.com/vb/showth...ighlight=oasis

That's what I'm using in my oasis as well.
[Reply]
bigloo 05:12 PM 08-11-2009
I use this stuff treated with PG in conjunction with beads in all my humidors. I end up having to refill the water gel about once every 2 months. along with the beads my humidity is worry free 65-67% ofr 60 days at a time and then all it takes is 2 ounce water top off. I never actually add water to my beads. I love the stuff and it works very well with beads to control the humidity.
[Reply]
bigloo 05:20 PM 08-11-2009
Also, the PG helps prevent mold... think about it... wet damp gel.. dark 70 degree box... PG helps prevent mold!
[Reply]
icehog3 05:31 PM 08-11-2009
Originally Posted by h20beads.com:
I sell these gel balls you speak of go to www.h20beads.com contact for more info!

Thanks,
John
Might want to introduce yourself in the Retailer Forum so people have an idea who they are doing business with. :-)
[Reply]
CigarNut 09:02 AM 08-12-2009
Pardon my ignorance, but what is a "pg solution"?
[Reply]
Page 1 of 2
1 2 >
Up