Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum Mobile
Troops Room>Eielson AFB
DrDubzz 04:17 PM 07-31-2011
Anyone have any first hand knowledge of it? Been there for an assignment or TDY? I want to go to Alaska, but had been thinking Elmendorf. Friday, our assignments officer approaches me and asks if I'd be interested in PCSing to Eielson next summer.

It seems intriguing, but also very remote. Just wanted to solicit you guys for info. Thanks
[Reply]
kelmac07 05:12 PM 07-31-2011
Originally Posted by RX2010:
Anyone have any first hand knowledge of it? Been there for an assignment or TDY? I want to go to Alaska, but had been thinking Elmendorf. Friday, our assignments officer approaches me and asks if I'd be interested in PCSing to Eielson next summer.

It seems intriguing, but also very remote. Just wanted to solicit you guys for info. Thanks
One thing I can tell ya Tim is that it's cold as hell... -40 in the winter. Spent two months there last year...if ya like really small town, outdoors type of living (hunting/fishing/etc)...you'll enjoy it. Not a major metropolis, but everything ya need is right there or less than 20 miles away.

Remote is a great choice of words. :-)
[Reply]
DrDubzz 09:23 PM 08-01-2011
thanks Mac, that's kind of what I figured. Just trying to decide if I want to make such a 180 change from Texas for a definite 3 years.

Can a mod move this to the Troops Room? I misread when I posted in this forum
[Reply]
pnoon 09:24 PM 08-01-2011
thanks Mac, that's kind of what I figured. Just trying to decide if I want to make such a 180 change from Texas for a definite 3 years.

Can a mod move this to the Troops Room? I misread when I posted in this forum
This IS the "Troops Room".
Not sure what you are asking us to do.
:-)
[Reply]
billybarue 06:24 PM 08-02-2011
Coldest I've ever seen is Eileson in the winter. Minot AFB, ND is bad but nowhere in the same league as Eileson. I don't remember exactly, but I am sure it was -50 range. Nothing I can even compare it too and you just have to feel it - brutal. And I like the cold. My brother was stationed at Elmendorf and I've been there many times. I would got to Elmendorf (Anchorage) in a minute. Eileson - would have some trouble with the romoteness and the deep winter temps. We used to have Thule Greenland and Kef (Keflavik, Iceland). Never made either of those, but they were pretty legendary.
[Reply]
DrDubzz 04:59 PM 08-03-2011
Originally Posted by pnoon:
This IS the "Troops Room".
Not sure what you are asking us to do.
:-)
This is in Troops Support, in the cigars in motion sub-forum...

not the Troops Room under the Misc. forum
[Reply]
pnoon 08:06 PM 08-03-2011
This is in Troops Support, in the cigars in motion sub-forum...

not the Troops Room under the Misc. forum
Well slap my ass and call me Judy. :-)
For all the threads and posts I look at on a daily basis, you would think I would haven known that.

Moving it momentarily.
[Reply]
DrDubzz 06:47 AM 08-04-2011
thanks man, I just glanced and saw "troops" so I posted it

seems like an honest mistake :-)
[Reply]
GI_Odie 04:24 AM 02-21-2012
Well, I live near Elmendorf and it is not so bad there, -10 or so mid winter and maybe 80 in the summer, Eielson though, -40 to -50 mid winter and up to about 90 in the summer. Fairbanks is a fairly small sized town but not too bad and it is only a 6-7 hour drive to Anchorage or a short flight. It is very good for outdoor activities both summer and winter.
[Reply]
Up