Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum Mobile
Troops Room>Getting Ready to Deploy... A Few Questions
Trent0341 07:51 PM 05-20-2011
Hey all,
Just have some questions. I'm getting ready to deploy (round 3) and have some questions that would probably be best asked over PM. If there are any of you who have recently deployed to Iraq and have a few minutes a PM would be appreciated. Thanks, Dan

I'm taking a Xikar 50-80 count travel humidor over there. I'll be using 69% Boveda packs to keep it humidified. Any thoughts on this setup or unforeseen issues?
[Reply]
Christiel49 08:17 PM 05-20-2011
I can't help but can thank you for your service!!! Hope you stay safe and return quickly!
Posted via Mobile Device
[Reply]
MarkinAZ 10:41 PM 05-20-2011
:-)...I give you a bump here Dan, and thank you for your service to our Country:-)

[Reply]
emopunker2004 10:46 PM 05-20-2011
Originally Posted by Trent0341:
Hey all,
Just have some questions. I'm getting ready to deploy (round 3) and have some questions that would probably be best asked over PM. If there are any of you who have recently deployed to Iraq and have a few minutes a PM would be appreciated. Thanks, Dan

I'm taking a Xikar 50-80 count travel humidor over there. I'll be using 69% Boveda packs to keep it humidified. Any thoughts on this setup or unforeseen issues?
Only thing about the Boveda packs is once they dry up it's done. Maybe get a small thing of beads from heartfelt or from hcm beads.
[Reply]
T.G 10:54 PM 05-20-2011
Originally Posted by emopunker2004:
Only thing about the Boveda packs is once they dry up it's done. Maybe get a small thing of beads from heartfelt or from hcm beads.
While beads have some distinct advantages (and a few disadvantages) over the packs, being rechargeable isn't exclusive to the beads. When the packs get thin and "crunchy", just seal them in a tupperware container with a moistened paper tower or hydrated water pillow and leave them there for a few weeks. After that, you'll find that the pack has absorbed the water and is puffed back up again. You can even do this from a dried out pack, but it takes some time.
[Reply]
longknocker 06:45 AM 05-21-2011
Originally Posted by T.G:
While beads have some distinct advantages (and a few disadvantages) over the packs, being rechargeable isn't exclusive to the beads. When the packs get thin and "crunchy", just seal them in a tupperware container with a moistened paper tower or hydrated water pillow and leave them there for a few weeks. After that, you'll find that the pack has absorbed the water and is puffed back up again. You can even do this from a dried out pack, but it takes some time.
:-) I Use A Sponge Soaked In Distilled Water. Works Great!
[Reply]
Trent0341 07:51 AM 05-21-2011
Thanks for the responses all.

I actually have several small things of beads from heartfelt. The issue would be getting distilled water over there Maybe it's readily available maybe it's not). I'm taking quite a few extra boveda packs with me and I figure if I can get distilled water mailed to me then I'll have no problems getting boveda packs. Thanks again, Dan
[Reply]
T.G 09:02 AM 05-21-2011
If you can't get distilled water, use reverse osmosis purified (bottled) water.

You might also be able to talk to a medic and get a bottle or two of "sterile water" which is just distilled water that's been packaged for medical use. You can also check with some of the mechanics and see if they have access to distilled water for topping off lead-acid batteries.
[Reply]
Trent0341 03:24 PM 05-21-2011
T.G.
Thanks for the tips. Can't believe I didn't remember the medics.
[Reply]
bvilchez 03:45 PM 05-21-2011
Trent what I did for distilled water was getting with the cooks and having them try and capture the steam that comes from a pot of whatever they might be cooking. That's what I used.

There are many choices as mentioned above but it also depends on your access to certain items.
[Reply]
Up