Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum Mobile
Page 1 of 2
1 2 >
All Cigar Discussion>Drew Estate stuff..
fencefixer 11:18 PM 06-03-2012
Smoked a bunch of these. So far the ACID line is like when you get divorced, you're glad it's over and you should have never done it in the first place.. then you make the same dumb mistake and marry again. Same as smoking an ACID. You light it up and start gagging, the same way you did when you smoked it before. I can't stand any of the ACIDs. I call these syrup dipped tampons.

The coffee infused ****.. I had a colonoscopy a little while back and the laxatives I had to drink tasted better than this. Gag.

Last week I smoked 4 Liga Privada T52 Feral Flying Pigs. 2 of them tunneled on me and the flavors were so/so, nothing special really.

The Undercrown tasted like dirt to me.
I have a "My Uzi Weighs A Ton" in the humi but haven't smoked that one yet.

However, the Liga Privada No. 9 (smoking my 10th and last one right now) turned out to be a very nice smoke with a very distinctive flavor to it (almost like Anise) and it's cheaper than the T52 as well. Bingo!

I've been smoking cigars for less than a year and I smoke about 3-5 different ones a day, I prefer the full bodied stuff and I don't get nicotine sick. However I don't understand what the hype is all about with this Drew Estate stuff. It's one thing to have a different flavor profile as tastes differ, it's another to recognize how a smoke burns and the crappy/boring flavors it puts off and the price tag attached to it.

Ranking:
1. No. 9 (Really good cigar)
2. T52 (Okay cigar)
3. Coffee (I'll prefer listening to the wife nag)
4. ACID (Please stop the torture, I will give you the information you want)

.. but I'll take an Anejo over these "top smokes" any time of the day. Is it hype or do I have crappy taste buds? :-)

(I can't shake the feeling that FFP lovers will want to hang me for posting this)

[Reply]
icehog3 11:26 PM 06-03-2012
Smoke what you like, like what you smoke. I don't care for Acids, but they sell a shitload of them. so a lot of people do.
[Reply]
Weelok 11:59 PM 06-03-2012
I tend to agree but I have changed my opinion on the Undercrown and find it to be a nice medium body cigar. I try and profile a cigar on my palate and match the time of day or smoking order to the fullness of the cigar.

Also, some flavors may resonate better with the individual which is just me meandering on about palate lol. I have friends that don't like pepper tingles and others prefer grassy flavors. As long as a cigar is constructed well, I can usually pick a time and place for a cigar. My one exception is the infused ones which are just too sweet for me but I can see why they are popular.
My two cents.
[Reply]
MrClean 12:06 AM 06-04-2012
I smoked them for a year or so, they're a 'gateway cigar' :-)
I still enjoy an occassional Tabak or Natural, just to mix it up. But the Blondies (which I used to love) I can't stomach anymore.

The LP stuff is pretty specific I think. I like the T52's better than the No.9, it's the other way around for most people. Never had any FFP's.
I think you can take almost any brand, and find a $10-15 dollar stick, smoke it and think 'well that wasn't all that great'. Now, they may not get the hype that DE does, but I think that's just good marketing at work. Regardless if we like the idea or not, good marketing is creating and sustaining a demand for your product. Which DE has done well, and in my opinion, a lot of their smokes back it up. But I don't think you're alone in preferring something else over their stuff.
[Reply]
maninblack 12:13 AM 06-04-2012
I can't knock JD's stuff because he sells the crap out of those ACID's. I love T52's and the 9's and the Undercrown is one of my favorite everyday smokes. I respect what he's done and the spirit and enthusiasm he brings to the business. He seems like a real down to earth guy also.
[Reply]
maninblack 12:14 AM 06-04-2012
Oh yeah and the LP 9 Flying Pig is my favorite all time smoke. Hands down a winner.
[Reply]
Dunkel 12:21 AM 06-04-2012
I have yet to smoke a Drew Estate / Acid cigar that I liked. I have smoked a LP 9 and T-52 and didn't like either of them. The 9 in particular had burn issues and didn't have alot of flavor. I tried an LVH I was gifted and pitched it after less than an inch. The PH681 I was gifted was awful as well. I was gifted a CI Legends Copper Label and thought it was disgusting, another pitched. I won't waste my money on any new releases as they are batting .000 with me.
[Reply]
Taki 05:42 AM 06-04-2012
I started out with the Acid line a while back and of course, just like a ton of people, it was because the flavor profile for infused was so different than any other and as a real noob you like the taste. That being said I jumped ship shortly after!! I love the Liga line up...I have never had burn issues with any of the ones I smoked (and I have smoked a ton) but I do agree, The LP9 is by far one of my favorites!! I also love the T52 Pig!! I also enjoy the FFP and the L40, Fence if you get a chance try the L40, you may like it??
I dont think I will ever go back to infused smokes ever again though it seems like it is more the "cool" thing when you are young and really new to cigars or you are an occasional smoker smoking on the golf course.
[Reply]
hotreds 08:09 AM 06-04-2012
Troops ask for Acids by name. I don't like them, but our fighting men and women do.
[Reply]
Ranger_B 12:32 PM 06-04-2012
I had to always keep some acids around for my younger joes. They love them for some reason. Most seem to grow into the non-infused smokes eventually.
[Reply]
Blak Smyth 12:35 PM 06-04-2012
The first L40 I had was really good, the last one was just okay.
The first LP no.9 I had knocked my socks off, the last one was okay.
The first T52 I had was okay, the last one was pretty awesome.
All always burned razor sharp, and had remarkable amount of smoke output.
The infused stuff is all garbage IMO, a waste of leaf.
[Reply]
Ogre 12:36 PM 06-04-2012
The only lines I really tike is the 9's and the Rats. I could pass on the rest.
[Reply]
Remo 01:13 PM 06-04-2012
Enough sugar coating, tell us how you really feel, D.C :-)
[Reply]
BlindedByScience 01:21 PM 06-04-2012
9's and Undercrowns are great smokes, which I enjoy weekly. Got FP's, FFP's and Rats in the cabinet and I enjoy them all. I've had the little Tabac with a cup of coffee, and it was....OK. I have no interest in trying the bigger infused smokes....just too sweet. Blech....

I agree - smoke what you like, like what you smoke....pretty simple.

Once I was in a buddy's B&M and they had a ton of Acid in stock. I ribbed him a little about it, and he told me they sell a ton of them. Not only that, but he said a sizable percentage of the folks that start with Acid's move onto non-infused smokes. Interesting.....:-)
[Reply]
shilala 01:27 PM 06-04-2012
I think Tom hit it, smoke what you like.
Jdrew has a nice thing going, and has created a complete lineup. Guys can get introduced to the infused stuff, and then when they want to move onto "real" cigars, they can stick right with him and exercise brand loyalty.
Prices are what they are. If a guy is following his brand, I suppose the prices are more than fair.
I don't find value in the t52, #9 or Undercrown line because, to me, they're very one-dimensional and unexciting. I can find a lot more bang for the buck in a lot of different places.
I will give JD a big thumbs up for making gorgeous, quality cigars that burn great and are very consistant flavor-wise. He stands behind all his stuff 100% and digs the cigar community. That's awesome.
I just don't have any need for any of his stuff, personally. I do gather up lots of Acids for the Troops, they love them. There's good in that, for sure.

Time to move on to bigger and better things, D.C.!!! :-)
[Reply]
czerbe 01:45 PM 06-04-2012
I haven't had a ton of Liga stuff, the 52 is a pretty good stick the 9 and Dirty Rat are tits I think, but to be honest I'm not sure if they are all worth the price... I know it takes a lot to go into making cigars I was told one time its nearly 200 hands to make one cigar from begining to end seed to smoke. So they are really underpriced from what I'm told... still I work hard for my cash and the prices are getting a little high I think. Either way I do keep paying them.. haha
[Reply]
Pseudosacred 03:39 PM 06-04-2012
I smoked one ACID, it was my first cigar. I didn't like it at all. I think it was the Cold Infusion Tea. It was just overpowering to me. I went back to the shop and bought a Diesel Unholy. I loved that...it did make me a little sick, at the time.

ACIDs sell like crazy. I believe it is one of the most bought cigar lines around right now. I've only had the FFP, as far as ligas go. I'd like to try the others, but the only ones Ive seen easily available are the #9's.

I wish that he would produce larger batches of the Liga line, I mean, it's not like he doesn't have the funds to do so, with ACIDS being so popular. But, whatever....there's other stuff to smoke.
[Reply]
lenguamor 06:12 PM 06-04-2012
The Acid is an acquired taste; I dislike most of them (the Kuba-Kuba makes me murderous) but the Roam is a nice, subtle infusion of herbs.

I've liked, to a greater or lesser degree, every LP I've smoked. Wasn't thrilled by the Uzi, but didn't find it offensive either. The LP9 and T52 are amazing cigars—you can't overstate how good. The Undercrowns are all tasty and wonderful.

I don't know which coffe infusion you tried, DC, but I've been smoking a long, long time and I found the Tabak Especiale Negra to be a transcendent smoke. Perfect in every way, beautifully balanced, tasty as you want this sort of cigar to be, but not too much of anything on a quality tobacco base.

You might find your tastes changing over time; mine have changed several times over the years. Give everything a chance again down the line.
[Reply]
NCRadioMan 06:23 PM 06-04-2012
Originally Posted by Pseudosacred:
I wish that he would produce larger batches of the Liga line, I mean, it's not like he doesn't have the funds to do so
Having the money has nothing to do with it. It's how many can be made with the select tobaccos they have. Just throwing cigars on the market that are inferior would be dumb.

Acid's smell like hippies and Patchouli. :-) But yes, they do sell. Like crazy! The Kuba Kuba easily outsells all other DE products, combined. I don't get it. :-)
[Reply]
area51 06:26 PM 06-04-2012
There is something about Acids that a lot of newbies seem to like. It's not a bad thing...to each their own I suppose, but there is definitely a correlation between a new cigar smoker and the acid line. My own thinking is because it is so close to convince store cigars they may have tried (White Owl, Game) they see it as a step up when really it is more of a side step.
[Reply]
Page 1 of 2
1 2 >
Up