Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum Mobile
View Poll Results: Would you:
Use this application? 61 64.89%
Purchase this application? 19 20.21%
Not care one way or the other? 28 29.79%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 94. You may not vote on this poll
Page 1 of 4
1 23 > Last »
All Cigar Discussion>Any interest in a BlackBerry Cigar application?
JE3146 07:31 PM 07-07-2010
I'm currently playing with the BlackBerry Java SDK and was wondering if there was any interest in an application for it.

Obviously there is the iPhone counterpart being developed here, and I hope not to step on any toes by creating this, but it seems to be one thing the BB community lacks.

So if you're interested in such a piece of software, what features would you like for it to have?

I have a direction on paper I'd like to go towards, but at the same time I'm curious to know what people would actually like out of such an application.

Thank you in advance for any feedback.
[Reply]
Eleven 07:50 PM 07-07-2010
Easy Database entry.

Maybe Barcode functions for entering cigar info, and also exporting info for others to have.

PC companion software for tracking, importing, exporting, etc etc.
[Reply]
Wolfgang 07:55 PM 07-07-2010
Can I get a galactic overlord button?
[Reply]
elderboy02 08:09 PM 07-07-2010
Droid :-)
[Reply]
E-Tx Surveyor 08:39 PM 07-07-2010
I would pay up to $9.99 for an app.
I would like something where I could put the individual cigar details, date I bought it, what I paid, and then of course smoking notes that could all be edited at a later date if needed.
A search function would be awesome, type in the name of the cigar and it just redirects to the mobile browser with a google search.

The top of the line for me would be an app with pictures of the sticks, at least the bands. I could type in the name and it would bring up a picture and a link to a review, and also a pronunciation key. I would also be able to submit a review.
[Reply]
JE3146 09:26 PM 07-07-2010
Originally Posted by elderboy02:
Droid :-)
Not switching for a while. Sorry buddy.

I can pick up a new language/dev platform in about 1 to 3 days, so it isn't much of an issue, I just have nothing to test it on as I develop.

That and there are plenty of Droid developers. The BB market is stale for an app like this.
[Reply]
elderboy02 05:09 AM 07-08-2010
Originally Posted by JE3146:
That and there are plenty of Droid developers. The BB market is stale for an app like this.
Very true. :-)

Well, when you upgrade to the Droid, I will look forward to an app. :-)
[Reply]
SigEpGF 01:51 PM 07-08-2010
I'm in love with my Blackberry, and would love a cigar app.
[Reply]
loki 01:53 PM 07-08-2010
nope, not interested
[Reply]
md4958 02:14 PM 07-08-2010
i would have loved this a year ago... how about something for the Droid instead? :-)
[Reply]
dubnick 02:29 PM 07-08-2010
Would love one...

Maybe with a desktop interface too...
[Reply]
JE3146 08:15 PM 07-08-2010
Originally Posted by md4958:
i would have loved this a year ago... how about something for the Droid instead? :-)
I changed a few things around from my initial concept based on a couple conversations I've had and pending some trials with the Droid SDK, I'll be entertaining the idea.

The way the program will be setup will be easy to port it to the Droid if necessary. The device will source data from an online server and store it to persistent memory. It will also store local data in persistent memory and give the option to sync it to the server. The benefit here is two fold.

As long as you sync it periodically, you won't lose information tied to your account and you'll also be able to see averaged ratings of sticks compiled from other users. Not only that but it gives me the flexibility to eventually make a Windows application in C# and possibly a port of that for the Mac in Cocoa# that can perform a similar task as the mobile device.

Granted this is all up in the air based on how complex I want to make the database, but it should be a fun project. :-)
[Reply]
E-Tx Surveyor 09:07 PM 07-08-2010
Looking forward to it. I always have my BB, but I don't always have my notes.
[Reply]
LooseCard 09:57 PM 07-09-2010
Voted "not interested" because you specify BB

My next upgrade, which will be later this year, will likely be Droid/Android.

May be interested then.
Definitely would have to be PC connectable. I'd likely do majority of my data entry through a PC then the small screen device.
[Reply]
JE3146 11:20 PM 07-09-2010
Originally Posted by LooseCard:
Voted "not interested" because you specify BB

My next upgrade, which will be later this year, will likely be Droid/Android.

May be interested then.
Definitely would have to be PC connectable. I'd likely do majority of my data entry through a PC then the small screen device.
Just to note this will be geared as a mobile app first, PC app possibly. :-)
[Reply]
JE3146 11:44 PM 07-09-2010
So here's the rundown so far. At least what I'm aiming for. Minor details might change but for the most part, this has been my plan and will continue to be, if not all up front then in subsequent updates.

What's being developed now -

Features

Requirements

And below a few prototype screen shots.

Enjoy :-)
Attached: splash.jpg (52.9 KB) menu.jpg (41.4 KB) 
[Reply]
jsnake 05:17 AM 07-13-2010
Sounds way cool. I don't understand why all the iphone cigar apps when most cigar smokers I know are business professionals who use Blackberries.
[Reply]
waffle 05:22 AM 07-13-2010
Originally Posted by jsnake:
Sounds way cool. I don't understand why all the iphone cigar apps when most cigar smokers I know are business professionals who use Blackberries.
Do you have any idea how many business professionals I run into now that are using iPhones... its crazy!!!! But I agree with you, BB should def. have an app.
[Reply]
JE3146 06:58 PM 07-13-2010
Just to add, I'm co-developing an app for the Android OS 2.2 (due to requests) as well that will be nearly identical to the BB app. They'll use the same online database, so if you were to switch phone types, it'd migrate seamlessly :-)

Sadly the Android one will look nicer due to the nicer UI API features. BB's are inherently flawed it seems. Probably why no one develops for them.
[Reply]
KenS 07:17 PM 07-13-2010
Jordan,

As you probably know, I am the author of Mobile Stogie for the iPhone. I've had quite a few emails asking for a blackberry version, so I know there is demand out there. I have considered porting to Android, but don't really have the time to do so. As for iPhones for business professionals, as of today Mobile Stogie has sold 4,266 copies, so there is demand there as well :-)

Although I'm not willing to "give away" the code to Mobile Stogie, I would be happy to offer feedback as you go through the development of your app, in terms of things that I've learned, how I connect to the online database, etc. Feel free to reach out to me if you want to discuss things with another developer.

I think it's great to see somebody tackling the app for blackberry and wish you the best of luck :-)
[Reply]
Page 1 of 4
1 23 > Last »
Up