Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum Mobile
All Cigar Discussion>My POOR tastebuds...
SvilleKid 10:11 PM 06-03-2012
And from an unexpected source!!

I've had AF's King B sticks on several occasions, and liked them. Enough so I occasionally wish for one when I do a MAW/PIF request.

I pulled this one out of my regular humidor, which runs around 62-64% Rh. From the very toasting of the foot, I sensed doom. The draw on this was like sucking thru a paper towel tube. And the initial taste reminded me very strongly of the nose-taste of airplane glue. There was a strong taste of plastic (for lack of a better descriptor) from the very first draw. And it did not improve. I don't remember throwing away a cigar before, with less than half an inch smoked. This one hit the grass at maybe 3/8 inch gone. I swished my lemonade and spit it out three times, no go. Taste still there. Whiskey swished around didn't kill the taste. Finally resorted to toothpaste and mouthwash. Needless to say, I no longer had a desire to smoke a cigar tonight.

After finally getting the taste out of my mouth, I retrieved the dead cigar from the grass and examined it. First thing I noticed was a 1/4 inch hole in the center, extending deep into the cigar:

I took the cigar apart, fully expecting to find plastic twine or some other foreign matter in the stick. Nothing of the sort. Just tobacco. But, I did find that the center of the stick was burned almost an inch and a half deeper into the stick than the burn mark on the wrapper (down the hole in the center):

That accounts for the windy draw, but I don't know what the taste was so bad from. Here is the remains of the stick. Nothing unusual noted in the tobacco.

As I sit typing this, I still think I can taste the remains of this smoke. Not a pretty experience from a brand that is one of my main "go-to" brands. And the first really bad stick I've had from Arturo Fuente. I'm not about to belly up on the brand, but I'm going to be leery the next time I try a King B, whether it's warranted or not. And it might be a while before I can go back there again!
[Reply]
maninblack 10:21 PM 06-03-2012
I hate it when a cigar disappoints. Doesn't happen very often, but when it happens to a stick I've been saving for a special occassion, it's very upsetting. Sorry to hear about this Cliff.
[Reply]
DaBear 10:35 PM 06-03-2012
I've had that taste from a number of sticks. I'd say the smoke was just going through a sick period during its resting time.

As for the tunneling, I've only had it happen once. Unfortunately it was on a T52 Flying Pig. Once it got like that(aka the inital light) there was no fix for it. Couldn't smoke the dang thing.

Some times you just gotta chalk it up to havin bad luck that night.
[Reply]
icehog3 10:54 PM 06-03-2012
Sorry you got a bad one, Cliff. I have only had one poorly constructed Fuente cigar in all my experience, a plugged Short Story...though I have had several Opus X that disappointed me "taste-wise".
[Reply]
SvilleKid 12:36 AM 06-04-2012
Originally Posted by icehog3:
Sorry you got a bad one, Cliff. I have only had one poorly constructed Fuente cigar in all my experience, a plugged Short Story...though I have had several Opus X that disappointed me "taste-wise".
That's what made this one so unexpected, Tom! I don't remember ever having a Fuente with these problems! All in all, I have to rate AF the top in terms of quality and taste. I guess I really wasn't supposed to smoke tonight!!! That will learn me!
[Reply]
Ogre 08:23 AM 06-04-2012
That sucks. Fuentes are a go-to cigar for me. I have never had an issue.
[Reply]
Kevin(n)tn 08:32 AM 06-04-2012
I hate it for you. I once had one of my favorites a Oliva V plugged so bad I had to toss it
[Reply]
longknocker 09:22 AM 06-04-2012
Sorry, Cliff. The King B Is One Of My Fav's & I Would Send You One If I Had Any Left, Brother!:-) Try One Again, My Friend!:-)
[Reply]
SvilleKid 09:43 AM 06-04-2012
Originally Posted by longknocker:
Sorry, Cliff. The King B Is One Of My Fav's & I Would Send You One If I Had Any Left, Brother!:-) Try One Again, My Friend!:-)
No worries, Greg! I have half a dozen more in one of my coolers. This was one I had pulled out a couple months ago into my "smoke soon" humidor.

Age wasn't the issue, because the cigar had probably been in the cooler for at least two, most likely three years.

Not a humidor issue, because I've smoked several from this humidor in the last week. I'm chalking it up to some unknown factor limited to that one cigar.
[Reply]
Up