Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum Mobile
All Cigar Discussion>I'm having a flavor issue when I smoke. Is it me ?
TheBigAsh 05:10 PM 05-27-2012
I've noticed that I'm not really tasting the cigars I smoke. They seem all the same to me. I'm nervous that my palate is off and I don't know how to proceed. My sense of smell is just fine. I smell the pre-lit aroma and smoke pretty good. Is there anything you know of that I can do the start tasting again?
[Reply]
T.G 05:24 PM 05-27-2012
Happens to just about everyone at some point or another. If you smoke a lot, try taking a few days to a week off.
[Reply]
MarkinAZ 05:54 PM 05-27-2012
^^^ I agree with Adams comment. Sometimes it kinda nice to take a break and let your palate reset itself. When you're ready to come back and fire one up, try out something totally off the wall that maybe you would've not thought about firing up, such as a Macanudo Gold Label or The Griffin for example:-)
[Reply]
area51 06:28 PM 05-27-2012
It only happens if I smoke everyday. It may be you haha.
[Reply]
TJtorpedo 06:49 PM 05-27-2012
I agree with all of the above. Sometimes your pallet just needs a break. I find that happens when I get into a full-bodied Nicaraguan kick for several days in a row. Take a few days off or go with something out of your usual rotation.
[Reply]
oooo35980 07:25 PM 05-27-2012
I usually take a break, then start back with mild, then medium, and back to the strong ones. I'm convinced it's some kind of over stimulation because it always happens right after I know I smoked too much in a sitting.

Maybe it's sort of like how people with a vitamin deficiency will crave certain foods, but in reverse. It's your brain telling you to pump the brakes. Wonder if it doesn't happen to cigarette smokers because they are just too heavily addicted while cigar smokers have the option to take it or leave it. Whatever causes it, it's a pretty common phenomenon.
[Reply]
cjhalbrooks 08:01 PM 05-27-2012
I have never had it happen to me but I would say take a break
[Reply]
SmokinPhysics 08:13 PM 05-27-2012
I'm still quite a noob, but in my experience, over-humidification can have an adverse effect on taste.
[Reply]
BTcigars 11:55 PM 05-27-2012
Dont forget that if you are becoming ill or have allergies, that will affect the taste dramatically.
[Reply]
TheBigAsh 01:44 AM 05-28-2012
Thanks guys. I'm relieved to hear it's not only me. Was starting to think life had dealt me some sort of cruel joke. lol
[Reply]
T.G 09:18 AM 05-28-2012
Originally Posted by BTcigars:
Dont forget that if you are becoming ill or have allergies, that will affect the taste dramatically.
Both of those situations will typically also effect the sense of smell.

Originally Posted by TheBigAsh:
My sense of smell is just fine. I smell the pre-lit aroma and smoke pretty good.

[Reply]
Cornrow_Wallis 11:32 AM 05-28-2012
This happened to me about 18 months ago, it really freaked me out. For two weeks or so, every single cigar I smoked tasted exactly the same. I hadn't changed my smoking habits, it was during the winter so I was probably smoking less than usual, and I hadn't been sick or anything like that. Just came out of the blue one day and disappeared later like nothing had happened.
[Reply]
blugill 12:06 PM 05-28-2012
Thank goodness! I thought I was going nutso or something!
I'll take a cigar break for a while and let my palate rest
[Reply]
keith_mahoney 07:56 PM 05-29-2012
I read a thread on another forum about oil pulling to rejuvenate the taste buds. Google it for info. I have not tried it but it sounds interesting.
[Reply]
GreekGodX 08:26 PM 05-29-2012
In this situation, it is you :-)

Taking a break from smoking helps. Also perhaps smoking a cheaper cigar during a really good cigar will help you pick out the nuances. Tongue scrapper, nasal irrigation and perhaps some palate cleansing during smoking.
[Reply]
Up