Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum Mobile
Page 2 of 2
< 12
All Cigar Discussion>wrapper on or off?
emopunker2004 09:32 PM 12-16-2011
Originally Posted by kelmac07:
You take your wrappers off? :-) :-)

It's a personal preference on the cello on/cello off debate. I, personally, keep it on so the sticks don't get damaged. :-)
:-)
[Reply]
darkninja67 07:00 AM 12-17-2011
I leave the cigars as they come to me.

As for RH 65% is a great place to be at. I believe it was the most popular RH when polled awhile back as well.
[Reply]
INT 07:06 AM 12-17-2011
It's so dry here in Vegas I've found if it's not 68-70+ it's hard to get that nice oily sheen on them and they also start to crack in mid smoke. The air here is a freaking sponge. Suck the life right out of them soon as they come out to play.

When I was in Puerto Rico last month and it was low 80's and 70-80% humidity all the time...wow what a difference. My cigars look "healthy" if you catch my drift. I had a Lot 23 natural that was just shiny and dark, almost like a colorado wrapper. It burned so...damn...slow and the flavors lept out. What a difference.
[Reply]
Ashcan Bill 01:35 PM 12-17-2011
Originally Posted by mikeespo:
i was reading it should be between 68% to 72% i wanted to bring it up to somewhere between that
That's a bit on the high side for me, but it really boils down to what humidity range you think your cigars smoke best in, not what others say or think. From a practical standpoint, you don't want to go much below the mid fifties, or the cigar will dry out and lose it's oils. Over seventy, and you risk mold. Anything in between is fair game.

Originally Posted by INT:
It's so dry here in Vegas I've found if it's not 68-70+ it's hard to get that nice oily sheen on them and they also start to crack in mid smoke. The air here is a freaking sponge. Suck the life right out of them soon as they come out to play.

Odd. I keep mine in the low 60's range and seldom have problems with cracking or unraveling. Maybe Henderson is different than Vegas? :-)
[Reply]
Flounder 03:12 PM 12-23-2011
Ask whatever, I'll answer whatever. People direct you to the search function, I like the search for reading reviews, but if I was going to search for an answer to a question, I could use google rendering my membership here useless. So ask anything, worse case scenario, people will send you a link to an old thread.

Also, it's all what you want to do. I leave the cello on for the same reason as everyone else, not as much worry when you transport them and such.

I also like my humidity in the high 60's -70%, so whatever works for you, run with it.

Smoke what you like, like what you smoke.
[Reply]
SpruceBruce 08:36 PM 12-26-2011
I've found that I enjoy my cigars more when my humi is at around 65% humidity, but I only started smoking this fall (and I live in the Milwaukee area).

I know I stressed out about the cello on/off debate as well, I took pretty much all of the cellos off my first stash, and now I wish I hadn't. Having the cello on them makes it so much easier to move them around, and more importantly give them to other people! :-)
[Reply]
smitty81 11:36 AM 06-11-2012
Recently, I have had two cigars that I did not care for that I SHOULD have really liked.

They both had a flavor profile that I really enjoy.

They were a 601 blue and a joya de Nicaragua.

The 601 had a little bit of flavor but not much. The Joya de Nic had no flavor at all.......none. I smoked the whole thing waiting for some flavor to come out but I got nothing out of it. This was the first smoke I got absolutely no flavor out of.

Both of these had no cellophane wrapper when I received them. They both sat for at least a month or two in my humi before I smoked them.

Coincidence? Maby.

I have another Joya de Nic in my humi with a wrapper on it and I will see how the flavor is in that one sometime here in the future.

I know there are a few duds out there and maby thats what I got and it was just coincidence that neither had a wrapper?
[Reply]
pnoon 11:42 AM 06-11-2012
No correlation.
And who the heck is Maby?
Posted via Mobile Device
[Reply]
emopunker2004 11:49 AM 06-11-2012
Originally Posted by pnoon:
No correlation.
Posted via Mobile Device
[Reply]
CigarNut 11:49 AM 06-11-2012
As Peter said, the cellophane wrapper does not affect the flavor. In fact cellophane is porous so it does not keep anything out (or in). What the cellophane does do is help to protect the cigar during shipping and handling.
[Reply]
smitty81 11:49 AM 06-11-2012
Originally Posted by pnoon:
No correlation.
Posted via Mobile Device
Sorry for my bad spelling. Maybe
[Reply]
smitty81 11:51 AM 06-11-2012
Thanks for the information guys, guess I just got some duds.

I would really like to try the 601 blue again as a lot of people here seem to really enjoy them.
[Reply]
pnoon 11:54 AM 06-11-2012
Originally Posted by smitty81:
Sorry for my bad spelling. Maybe
:-)
Posted via Mobile Device
[Reply]
Page 2 of 2
< 12
Up