Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum Mobile
General Discussion>All over $4
AdamJoshua 09:02 AM 12-10-2014
Ben Edelman is an associate professor at Harvard Business School, where he teaches in the Negotiation, Organizations & Markets unit.

Last week, Edelman was overcharged 4 bucks on a $53.35 order, big mistake by the Chinese restaurant.

If you’ve ever wondered what happens when a Harvard Business School professor thinks a family-run Chinese restaurant screwed him out of $4, you’re about to find out.

it's worth scrolling down to read all of the email exchanges, in my opinion the guy is a tool, a huge tool.

In addition to teaching at HBS, Edelman also operates a consulting practice where he advises clients like Microsoft, the NFL, the New York Times, and Universal Music on “preventing and detecting online fraud (especially advertising fraud).” (That’s from Edelman’s own website, which it seems safe to presume is always kept up to date.)

He graduated summa cum laude from Harvard College. He has a Ph.D. in economics from Harvard University, and a law degree from Harvard Law School.

Ran Duan moved to the U.S. from China when he was 3-years-old. His father had hoped to support the family with a career as an opera singer, but when that didn’t pan out, Duan says “like all Chinese families we decided to open up a restaurant.”

Oh and the food? Edelman admitted: “It was delicious.”

If I was this guy, I probably wouldn't eat there again, or at least not order under my own name :-)

http://www.boston.com/food-dining/re...rXP/story.html
[Reply]
Remo 09:23 AM 12-10-2014
I hope he gets hit by a bus....douche!

In my best Matt Damon Bahston accent "let's got to Hahvad and **** up some smaht kids"
[Reply]
markem 10:35 AM 12-10-2014
I read that earlier. My first thought was that it might be very unfortunate to be the child of someone so petty and so vindictive.
[Reply]
WhiteMamba 10:59 AM 12-10-2014
Originally Posted by Remo:
I hope he gets hit by a bus....douche!

In my best Matt Damon Bahston accent "let's got to Hahvad and **** up some smaht kids"
:-) :-) I love that movie.
[Reply]
AdamJoshua 11:06 AM 12-10-2014
Lawyers, stamping out the American Dream one immigrant at a time.
[Reply]
pektel 11:12 AM 12-10-2014
I feel bad for both of them. The restaurant owner is being treated very unfairly by this guy. I also feel bad for this guy complaining. He must not be happy. Ever. I wouldn't want to have that type of outlook all the time.

Sadly, I've dealt with a few customers like this over the years. No matter WHAT you do, they will never be happy. Some even take it to the point of trying to make me feel as miserable as they do. I finally learned not to take it personally. It's their issue, not mine.
[Reply]
badbriar 11:25 AM 12-10-2014
It seems that Mr. Ben Edelman is simply on a crusade to see just how unfeeling and unethical a human being can be. He should be very careful, as there IS such thing as karma and he is right now, on the wrong side! Things WILL eventually come back to haunt his selfish azz many fold worse than what he is doing now. :-)
[Reply]
MarkinAZ 11:25 AM 12-10-2014
After reading the article, there were a few consequences I thought of for Mr. Edelman, but unfortunately, are not "printable" for the virgin members of this forum:-)
[Reply]
dijit 03:35 PM 12-10-2014
Sadly I have to admit I grew up with people like Mr Edelman even related to one of them. I cant wait to see what Karma does to him!
[Reply]
themoneycollector 03:39 PM 12-10-2014
I have a local, and also Chinese, restaurant that does this all the time.

Once I did have an old take-out menu that was differently priced, but I swear, I order the same meal there every time and it's a different price each time. The receipt is written in chinese with nothing but a total at the bottom. I jokingly tell my wife each time we order I wonder how much it's going to be this time. It's annoying as heck. I've politely pointed it out to them when I get overcharged by $1-2, but I'm not wasting more than a minute of my time to let them know and hopefully it will get fixed. Still hasn't happened.

So I understand where Edelman came from, but $4 and ask for 3x that as damages or threatening to elevate this to authorities and the constant replies when the owner tried to make it right with him is what made him a douchebag imo
[Reply]
Tio Gato 04:44 PM 12-10-2014
They don't call us residents of the Commonwealth "Mass Holes" for no reason. What a kucker.:-)
[Reply]
shilala 05:42 PM 12-10-2014
I used to fight Verizon over money all day long. I'd call them every time I had a free minute just to jerk them around. But just because they were lying, stealing whores.
Eventually I got over it and paid them 350 bucks just so I'd never have to speak to them again.
I can get where the professor is coming from, but I'd hope his time could be better spent. Like torturing Verizon. :-)
[Reply]
Porch Dweller 06:15 PM 12-10-2014
What a

[Reply]
Chainsaw13 06:49 PM 12-10-2014
If you scroll down, there's a few more stories about the douche. Seems he did this once before a few years ago.
[Reply]
AdamJoshua 07:19 PM 12-10-2014
Yes this guy is a dick with nothing better to do than jerk around small business owners, it's clear he has a history of bullying them and most go home and rub at least one out right away. People like this are worse than useless, right up there with class action lawyers that collect 10s of millions of dollars in verdicts and give the plaintiffs .35 cents a piece.

I do like the guy below though.

[Reply]
T.G 08:34 PM 12-10-2014
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iayLBI7nsE0
[Reply]
AdamJoshua 08:46 PM 12-10-2014
Originally Posted by T.G:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iayLBI7nsE0
Classic movie.

Originally Posted by :
Now that's a real shame when folks be throwin' away a perfectly good white boy like that.
:-)
[Reply]
Up