Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum Mobile
Page 88 of 96
« First < 3878868788 8990 > Last »
Entertainment>Games thread!
Apoco 09:01 AM 08-30-2012
Went ahead and snagged GW2 last night. Played for an hour or so - seems fun.
Posted via Mobile Device
[Reply]
madwilliamflint 12:46 PM 08-30-2012
Originally Posted by Apoco:
Went ahead and snagged GW2 last night. Played for an hour or so - seems fun.
Posted via Mobile Device
Yeah I'm an awful lot more crackheady about it than I expected. Can't beat the monthly subscription rate and it really is a top notch MMO.
[Reply]
Apoco 09:54 AM 08-31-2012
Originally Posted by madwilliamflint:
Yeah I'm an awful lot more crackheady about it than I expected. Can't beat the monthly subscription rate and it really is a top notch MMO.
It seems like an hour or two is just about the right amount of time for me on that game. I still don't fully get it - very different from most other similar-styled games that I've played.
Posted via Mobile Device
[Reply]
madwilliamflint 08:41 AM 09-12-2012
It seems like an hour or two is just about the right amount of time for me on that game. I still don't fully get it - very different from most other similar-styled games that I've played.
Posted via Mobile Device
I've got to say, the more I play it the more I like it. I can't abide playing Charr, or those little bug-eyed freak things that look like they're straight out of Final Fantasy Eleventy Billion.

Crafting is solid. The amount of variety in each class is really impressive. I ended up buying extra character slots to have one of each.

For reasons I can't quite put my finger on I've gotten sucked back in to EvE as well. Might be all the Honor Harrington I've been reading (read the full 13/14 book main line twice in the past few months.) So my mind is edging towards things of that nature. It's really changed quite a bit. Mostly for the good.

Still though, I'm only half heartedly playing anything because in two weeks I'm going to disappear into the the Torchlight II and Borderlands II holes.

Then Dishonored coming out in less than a month and I'm just totally screwed. I guess I'll start dating again next year :-)
[Reply]
Apoco 07:34 PM 09-12-2012
I've got to say, the more I play it the more I like it. I can't abide playing Charr, or those little bug-eyed freak things that look like they're straight out of Final Fantasy Eleventy Billion.

Crafting is solid. The amount of variety in each class is really impressive. I ended up buying extra character slots to have one of each.

For reasons I can't quite put my finger on I've gotten sucked back in to EvE as well. Might be all the Honor Harrington I've been reading (read the full 13/14 book main line twice in the past few months.) So my mind is edging towards things of that nature. It's really changed quite a bit. Mostly for the good.

Still though, I'm only half heartedly playing anything because in two weeks I'm going to disappear into the the Torchlight II and Borderlands II holes.

Then Dishonored coming out in less than a month and I'm just totally screwed. I guess I'll start dating again next year :-)
Oh god....EvE....SPREADSHEETS IN SPACE! :-) :-)

I've always admired (ninja edit: that's a strong word, but you get the idea) people who play that game. It is a true ass kicker. Best of luck to you :P
[Reply]
madwilliamflint 09:06 AM 09-17-2012
Oh god....EvE....SPREADSHEETS IN SPACE! :-) :-)

I've always admired (ninja edit: that's a strong word, but you get the idea) people who play that game. It is a true ass kicker. Best of luck to you :P
It's... EvE is great when it's great. But yeah. After a couple weeks I'm reminded why I always end up re-quitting.

What we need is a space mmorpg that's... normal.

Something a bit between Earth & Beyond (god I miss that game) and, yes, spreadsheets in SPAAACE!
[Reply]
Apoco 07:25 AM 09-19-2012
So since I loved "Spec Ops: The Line" so much - I realized that I've finally turned into a gamer that actually cares about story lines.

I've had Heavy Rain forever and couldn't ever find the desire to play - but I put it in on Sunday and it was all I played until last night at 12:30 when I finally beat it. Fantastic story line. Mediocre game play at best - but fantastic story telling. Gonna start trying out some of those games that have been in my "when my tastes change" category for too long. Starting with "Uncharted" tonight to see if it is more my speed now.
Posted via Mobile Device
[Reply]
Bill86 01:28 PM 09-19-2012
Checking out Borderlands 2, seems alright. The guns are quite annoying and unrealistic though :-)

You shake like you have a serious case of parkinsons with the rifle, hard to hit stuff. The shotgun is accurate to about 15 feet if your lucky....lets hope it gets better but so far a bit frustrating to do something that should be simple.
[Reply]
Brutus2600 01:38 PM 09-19-2012
Originally Posted by Bill86:
Checking out Borderlands 2, seems alright. The guns are quite annoying and unrealistic though :-)

You shake like you have a serious case of parkinsons with the rifle, hard to hit stuff. The shotgun is accurate to about 15 feet if your lucky....lets hope it gets better but so far a bit frustrating to do something that should be simple.
They mostly start out with only one good stat and the rest are crap. As the game progresses and you get better guns the accuracy/dmg/reload speed/rate of fire/clip size all get better across the board :-)

I've been playing it and have enjoyed the gameplay + story + humor immensely :-)
[Reply]
Bill86 01:56 PM 09-19-2012
Yeah I can see it getting better, we'll see. First boss fight sucked immensely, I'll admit I pretty much found a way to negate taking any damage and engage them without them hitting me.

Sniping from the area before. Killed 2/3 without taking a shot, probably the only way I could do it. I find the pick ups are a bit spare when needed and abundant when not.
[Reply]
Brutus2600 01:58 PM 09-19-2012
Yeah I can see it getting better, we'll see. First boss fight sucked immensely, I'll admit I pretty much found a way to negate taking any damage and engage them without them hitting me.

Sniping from the area before. Killed 2/3 without taking a shot, probably the only way I could do it. I find the pick ups are a bit spare when needed and abundant when not.
In games like this (Fallout 3, Borderlands 1, etc) because of that very reason I find myself hoarding everything in the game. It gets bad enough that my virtual homes online could probably go on the Hoarders reality show :-)
[Reply]
Bill86 02:12 PM 09-19-2012
Originally Posted by Brutus2600:
In games like this (Fallout 3, Borderlands 1, etc) because of that very reason I find myself hoarding everything in the game. It gets bad enough that my virtual homes online could probably go on the Hoarders reality show :-)
Yep yep, and I always play a sniper. It seems in most games it's VERY hard not to make a sniper overpowered. Just the general nature of sniping.

Haven't really checked out Darksiders 2 yet, Death just doesn't seem interesting enough. Anyone played that?
[Reply]
madwilliamflint 05:29 PM 09-19-2012
Hit L13 Zero yesterday. (My depth perception still isn't back to normal.) Yeah, gun sway is a problem. But in B1 they made a real big deal about accuracy and stability bonuses. Looking through the skill trees I see the same here, so I'm not worried. By the time I was in the 50s with Mordecai I was sniping things I could barely see through a 2.7x.

Like that they finally have an "installation wide" stash, AND that it only holds a few things.

The mission planning was a little poor. I spend a LOT of time running back and forth between multiple zones to tag something and come back.

Did find a gun named "3 Dog" though, so that made me happy :-)

All in all the writing is a little crass in more than a couple places; enough for me to shake my head. But we're talking about Anthony Burch here so I suppose we couldn't ask for much in the way of high-brow plotlines.

Enough of the preliminaries. I'm going back in. o/
[Reply]
Bill86 06:57 PM 09-19-2012
So far I'm level 9. The game, like most...which is kind of annoying, is gear based big time. I picked up a purple sniper rifle, the name eludes me right now, and I am one shotting 75%+ of the mobs. Grabbed a purple shotgun and the big dudes are no longer a problem.

I really wish they would focus more on skill and story than items and gear. The dialogue is good but not great. Overall so far it's fun and I'll finish it surely but certainly not as epic or hype worthy as it should be or was anticipated to be.

I'll agree on the missions as well. Many things in the game seemed to be done just to extent the game time. Driving through and getting jumped by a bunch of horsecrap mobs you can gun down easily, just takes an extra minute or two. Driving that extra distance, just adds game time. I remember back in the day when you would get 40-80 hours out of a game and it hardly felt unreasonably extended.

I wish there was more witty-crass dialogue. That's what makes the game interesting for me. Certainly not the gameplay which has been done a hundred times by now. That's all games have to offer these days, dialogue and story. Everything else has been done much more than once, so if they don't have that.....they can't offer much. Or maybe I'm just getting burned out on video games. Been a good long ~20 year ride.

Getting back to it.
[Reply]
madwilliamflint 08:14 AM 09-20-2012
... Or maybe I'm just getting burned out on video games. Been a good long ~20 year ride.

Getting back to it.

Yeah. I'm starting to get there myself. Had a bit longer of a run. But even in B2 I'm getting a rapidly rising "yeah, but... I already pumped over 100 (damn near 200) hours into something just like this." There's less different than I'd like really, though maybe it opens up a bit in the 20s like its predecessor.
[Reply]
madwilliamflint 11:22 AM 09-20-2012
But hey! Torchlight 2 came out today *\o/*

:-/
[Reply]
Bill86 11:27 AM 09-20-2012
Yeah. I'm starting to get there myself. Had a bit longer of a run. But even in B2 I'm getting a rapidly rising "yeah, but... I already pumped over 100 (damn near 200) hours into something just like this." There's less different than I'd like really, though maybe it opens up a bit in the 20s like its predecessor.
I think I got real close to 15 last night but I called it. I wish the maps were bigger, going back to old areas really sucks. I hope it picks up soon, so far it just seems like Borderlands....2.
[Reply]
oooo35980 12:54 PM 09-20-2012
Yep yep, and I always play a sniper. It seems in most games it's VERY hard not to make a sniper overpowered. Just the general nature of sniping.

Haven't really checked out Darksiders 2 yet, Death just doesn't seem interesting enough. Anyone played that?
Darksiders 2 is amazing, in theory, for some reason I can't put my finger on it is incredibly easy to put down though. I think it's all the irritating yet easy to figure out puzzles and platforming.
[Reply]
Bill86 01:37 PM 09-20-2012
Originally Posted by oooo35980:
Darksiders 2 is amazing, in theory, for some reason I can't put my finger on it is incredibly easy to put down though. I think it's all the irritating yet easy to figure out puzzles and platforming.
I really just hope it wasn't like the first one. War was a fun character, the story was moderately interesting but the puzzles were BEYOND retarded. I had to youtube half the game, what a waste.

Death....eh I didn't find him as fun to play in the few seconds I played. We'll see.

Still playing Borderlands 2, I really can't see how people pay for these games...it's VERY underwhelming and extremely frustrating. The story is meh.....
[Reply]
oooo35980 01:45 PM 09-20-2012
They went the other way in darksiders 2, puzzles are so easy you just end up feeling like you can't be bothered and going to make a sandwich or watch TV or something, it is an exercise in tedium. The story so far isn't exactly compelling either. Death is as cool as War was though.
[Reply]
Page 88 of 96
« First < 3878868788 8990 > Last »
Up