Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum Mobile
Page 64 of 111
« First < 1454626364 656674 > Last »
Wine, Beer, and Spirits>beer hauls
OLS 05:45 PM 06-17-2011
While we are on the subject Bill and others, what do the various numbers denote on theose Rocqueforts?? I saw 10, and I think 8 and 3
[Reply]
hammondc 06:21 PM 06-17-2011
Originally Posted by OLS:
While we are on the subject Bill and others, what do the various numbers denote on theose Rocqueforts?? I saw 10, and I think 8 and 3
I have seen 6, 8 & 10. There is a good bit of flavor differences but the big diff is abv--something like 8, 9 & 11% respectively. I think the flavor gets more concentrated as you go up the series. Kinda like DFH 60, 90, 120 min.

hope that helps
[Reply]
OLS 06:52 PM 06-17-2011
I appreciate the insight, I can DRINK BEER and still not have read enough to know what I am talking about.
There are sometimes things we just drink on faith, lol. I take great pains to read about stuff I want to
know about and have an interest in, but when I saw this circle with a number in it, and you are likely right,
I only saw the 10, and just fabricated the other numbers, I just put that with my lack of further funds
and passed on the whole lot.

Just drank a Golden Monkey and I was pretty surprised, an abundance of hard-to-pinpoint flavors
and it was pretty damn good. Smoked a Ramonitas with it and prepared it for a blog entry.
[Reply]
Bill86 07:20 PM 06-17-2011
Rocheforts, and if I'm not mistaken they are different kinds of Belgian ale.

Double 6
Triple 8
Quadruple 10

Gaining higher ABV and flavor as you go up. IMHO 10's the best hands down without a doubt. 8 is very good, 6 was kinda meh for me.

I could be partially wrong as I really don't get INTO the way they make it or any of that crap. I focus more on drinking it :-)
[Reply]
Bill86 07:23 PM 06-17-2011
Originally Posted by hammondc:
I have seen 6, 8 & 10. There is a good bit of flavor differences but the big diff is abv--something like 8, 9 & 11% respectively. I think the flavor gets more concentrated as you go up the series. Kinda like DFH 60, 90, 120 min.

hope that helps
Close Chip
6 = 7.5%
8 = 9.2%
10 = 11.3%

Yes not on the same level as DFH IPAs but a great analogy.
60 minute = 6%
90 - 9%
120 - 18% (use to be 21%)

Many would debate the 90 minute being the best, but for me I like the 120 minute. The 21% ABV 120 minute boasted a lot of flavor, complexity and hit's very hard. A really winner for me.

I appreciate the insight, I can DRINK BEER and still not have read enough to know what I am talking about.
There are sometimes things we just drink on faith, lol. I take great pains to read about stuff I want to
know about and have an interest in, but when I saw this circle with a number in it, and you are likely right,
I only saw the 10, and just fabricated the other numbers, I just put that with my lack of further funds
and passed on the whole lot.

Just drank a Golden Monkey and I was pretty surprised, an abundance of hard-to-pinpoint flavors
and it was pretty damn good. Smoked a Ramonitas with it and prepared it for a blog entry.
I agree Brad, I'm more into the flavor and drinking it then knowing extensively about the processes in making it.

Go with the 10, it will probably blow your mind. The 8 is no slouch either but the 6 isn't worth the time or money, IMHO.
[Reply]
OLS 07:42 PM 06-17-2011
I dropped a pretty penny today, what with my liquor needs for my upcoming week in the mountains, so I have been
self-placed on a bit of a hiatus on beer purchases. But man am I stocked, at least for a casual drinker like me.
I have even been hammering away at the Jockamo lately trying to make it go away. Only 4 to go, lol.
[Reply]
Bill86 07:50 PM 06-17-2011
I dropped a pretty penny today, what with my liquor needs for my upcoming week in the mountains, so I have been
self-placed on a bit of a hiatus on beer purchases. But man am I stocked, at least for a casual drinker like me.
I have even been hammering away at the Jockamo lately trying to make it go away. Only 4 to go, lol.
:-)

Just shoot me a PM. I've tried literally 90%+ of the high gravity selections TN has to offer.

I wouldn't set you up with anything $hitty.

I'm am on the same buying hiatus because f**king TN's beer distribution has nothing new for months on end. They've been promising me new beer and more Ten-Fidy for about 6 months now.

It's okay though once they get more Ten-Fidy I'm buying it all.

Supposedly in the next 6 weeks they will get something good.....supposedly
[Reply]
hammondc 08:11 AM 06-18-2011
Bill, as far as DFH, I love the 90min. Probably top 3 IPA (IIPA) for me. I like the 120 and have a few, but I have never been able to drink a whole one by myself. I usually split it with the wife. It is delicious though.

As far as the Rocheforts being Dubbel, Trippel or Quads: I am not sure where the brewery is located, but my understanding is that only breweries in the southern regions (lowcountry?) separate Strong Ales into the different categories. Everything else in this style is simple Strong Ale or Strong Dark Ale. I do not drink a ton of Belgians, but this is how I have always understood it. I could be way off though. If someone knows better, I would be interested to hear it.
[Reply]
Bill86 04:05 PM 06-18-2011
I know the 10 is a quadruple that is it. I mean...I drank probably 10 #10's, 2 #8's and 1 #6. So I really don't know too much about the 6 or 8. Other than the 8 is good, but the 6 isn't worth it.

The 90 minute is great, especially for the price. It might be the best $3 IIPA out there. Probably top 5 for $3 beers period.

The 120 is intense, I guess I got lucky. The 120 minute was my first craft beer. So for me at the time it was nothing short of the best thing I had ever drank. I easily finished my first because I was so overwhelmed from finally tasting "real beer". I couldn't get enough.

The next day I bought 2 more and polished them both off back to back. Then I starting looking at other DFH beers. I was a kid in a candy store, still am.

I spoiled myself early on, I had the Rochefort 10 as my 2nd or 3rd high gravity. Once you taste beers that good....there's no stopping you.
[Reply]
kydsid 05:14 PM 06-18-2011

Some Tank 7 and MikkellerI picked up today and a sixer I bought two days ago and what is left of it, lol
[Reply]
hammondc 05:45 PM 06-18-2011
Originally Posted by Bill86:
Then I starting looking at other DFH beers. I was a kid in a candy store, still am.
Yep. DFH is, by far, my favorite brewer.
[Reply]
Jbailey 06:04 PM 06-18-2011
Latest haul this past week.

4-bombers of The Abyss
1-bottle of Cigar City Hunahpu
7-4packs of Founds KBS
[Reply]
Stick 11:31 AM 06-19-2011
Originally Posted by Jbailey:

4-bombers of The Abyss
1-bottle of Cigar City Hunahpu
7-4packs of Founds KBS
Nice, I want to shop where you shop. :-)
[Reply]
Jbailey 11:58 AM 06-19-2011
Originally Posted by Stick:
Nice, I want to shop where you shop. :-)
Had a few friends come in from out of town. The Hunahpu and Abyss were brought to me. :-)
[Reply]
icehog3 12:06 PM 06-19-2011
Originally Posted by Jbailey:

7-4packs of Founds KBS
Bot...wha....ehy.....Dayum. :-)
[Reply]
Wanger 03:52 PM 06-19-2011
Originally Posted by jbailey:
latest haul this past week.

4-bombers of the abyss
1-bottle of cigar city hunahpu
7-4packs of founds kbs
7?!?!?!?! Jealous!!!!!!!!!
[Reply]
cobra03 04:08 PM 06-20-2011
Found this last weekend at a small beer store i found in Dunkirk NY. Couldnt resist picking it up. Came with a nice Mad Elf glass.

[Reply]
newcigarz 01:56 PM 06-22-2011
[Reply]
kaisersozei 02:30 PM 06-22-2011
Whoa, how'd you get the Pliny?!
[Reply]
newcigarz 02:39 PM 06-22-2011
Originally Posted by kaisersozei:
Whoa, how'd you get the Pliny?!
:-)
[Reply]
Page 64 of 111