Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum Mobile
Page 4 of 5
« First < 234 5 >
All Cigar Discussion>My Basement Lounge Project is Officially Underway
Smokin Gator 01:58 PM 08-16-2009
That is looking sweet... and thanks for the photo updates. I can tell you I sure love my Gator Cave!!! Smoking a Boli CE and watching the NASCAR race as I write this.
[Reply]
Azpostal 05:30 PM 08-16-2009
Looks great so far. I wish we had basements out here. It would be nice to get out of the heat sometimes.
[Reply]
dbreazeale 06:12 PM 08-16-2009
This is so cool! Looks like you're doing a great job! :-)
[Reply]
kelmac07 06:13 PM 08-16-2009
Looks great!! You are knocking this out...great looking work.
[Reply]
MedicCook 10:03 PM 08-16-2009
Looks good. Keep up the good work.
[Reply]
bowhnter 05:52 AM 08-17-2009
Looking good, thanks for the updates!
[Reply]
sboyajian 09:56 AM 08-18-2009
Will take some pictures tonight, however wanted to post an update.

First task of last night was to try and salvage the door frame that leads into the lounge area. I was able to save it all without damaging anything and this saved me about $60 in a prehung door.

Due to the bad job the builder did framing the original wall, I need to build some 2x2 framing to face their wall. This will prevent the steel columns from getting in the way and warping my drywall. It will also help me to run my electrical in the front wall (1 switch box and 3 outlets).

Last night since it was to late to be tearing my leftover 2x4's in half to finish the framing, I decided to put in the rest of the gang boxes. I then ran 14/2 from the circuit panel (not connected yet) through each box and to the switch. I have installed all of the outlets and connected all wires.

I have also added a second switch that will control one outlet in the exercise room.

After this was done, I put the 4 can lights in the exercise room in place.

The picture below shows a drawing of the rooms, location of the boxes and which circuit they will be on. Some (most) likely have no use for that, but I know some people are redoing rooms, or curious about it, or are thinking about it. So hopefully this will provide some purpose.

I'm trying to keep the loads to about 10 per circuit. I ended up with 11 on circuit 1 and 9 on circuit 2. Merely from the point that it was easier to put the outlets in the lounge on the same circuit as the ones on the same wall from the exercise room.

C - Can Light
Small box - outlet
Big Box - Switch Box
Oval - Sconces
# - Which circuit

[Reply]
BORIStheBLADE 10:11 AM 08-18-2009
Hey this is a pretty cool project.

I wanted to ask you what made you come up with the idea to circuit the rooms that way?

Do you only have two circuits to work with?

In your area you can use 14 AWG for outlets?
[Reply]
sboyajian 11:41 AM 08-18-2009
The general rule of thumb is max of 10 loads per circuit (for a 15Amp Circuit), however I believe code says you can go up to 12 or 13 before you hit the max wattage pull). For the exercise room, I am at 11 with the lights and outlets.

However, to be fair, the only reason the outlets are in the exercise room is for code and resale. Only one of the outlets will ever be used (the elevated one for the TV). So at a most that will ever be on will be 4 lights, and potentially 3 outlets (the two in the lounge, however, given the placement, it's unlikely those outlets will get used either).

Then for the lounge, I'll be at 9.

There will be a 20Amp circuit that will be used for ventilation and humidification of the cabinet.

Really wasn't a HUGE amount of thought into why I laid it out that way, it was just the easiest way and fell within the limits that should be in place.

If that extra outlet on the left side ends up being a problem, I will probably move it to another circuit that is feeding power to the storage area (which only has 1 light and 2 outlets on it).
[Reply]
skibumdc 11:44 AM 08-18-2009
No treadmills or Elliptical machines?
Those might need higher amperage outlets.
[Reply]
GoldnGT 11:55 AM 08-18-2009
Wow... looking good. Subscribing to this thread =)
[Reply]
sboyajian 12:01 PM 08-18-2009
Originally Posted by skibumdc:
No treadmills or Elliptical machines?
Those might need higher amperage outlets.
No treadmill and our Elliptical doesn't use an outlet.
[Reply]
Darrell 12:03 PM 08-18-2009
Originally Posted by BORIStheBLADE:
Hey this is a pretty cool project.

I wanted to ask you what made you come up with the idea to circuit the rooms that way?

Do you only have two circuits to work with?

In your area you can use 14 AWG for outlets?
Mike is an Electrician, he knows stuff. :-)
[Reply]
BORIStheBLADE 12:11 PM 08-18-2009
Ya, most outlets don't get used. I'm so used to wiring commercial and industrial that two seems kind of small amount.

It will probably be fine. The Tv's will be using the most power until you use a vacuum.
[Reply]
sboyajian 12:17 PM 08-18-2009
Originally Posted by BORIStheBLADE:
Ya, most outlets don't get used. I'm so used to wiring commercial and industrial that two seems kind of small amount.

It will probably be fine. The Tv's will be using the most power until you use a vacuum.
Then I guess I'm lucky since I hate to vacuum! just kidding. I use a central plug in the basement since the cord on the dyson is like 10000 ft long. I can vacuum the whole floor without moving the cord once. That's on a seperate circuit.
[Reply]
kenstogie 12:18 PM 08-18-2009
Subscribed and nice work. Got a finished basement and looking for ideas. :-)
[Reply]
sboyajian 05:54 PM 08-23-2009
Haven't had to many updates the last couple days. Some nights I haven't been able to get down to work on it because of real life work.

The first picture below shows 2 (well.. now 1) vents that fed air into the unfinished area. These are being located to the wall next to the HVAC equipment and outside of the Lounge. Both are now removed from the walls.

The biggest change that had to take place was additional 2x2 framing on the front wall (see picture one for a completed 2x2s -- more description and explanation below). This is the wall that was pre-existing from the builder. While I have little complaint about the builder who built the home (then again the house is only 3 months old), they didn't do the quality job any of us would want in our home.

Everything on the top two levels is "modular".. modular in the sense that the rafters, floor joists, wall panels, etc all arrive pre-assembled and then put together like a big puzzle. The basement (since it's an option and not in all homes) is stick built per order.

The finished side of the back wall is not exactly plum... nor are any of the boards really level. That being said, both items combined introduced a big problem as you will see in the picture below:

If you look VERY VERY closely (at picture 1) you will notice that the metal beam in the second picture comes out beyond the 2x4 studs. Due to the fact that most of the boards they used are very twisted (again, see bad boards and bowing in second picture), it also meant the drywall was right up against the front side. I wouldn't be able to put drywall on this side, nor could I run wire.

The solution was to frame the front wall with 2x2 boards (I cheated and cut down my extra 2x4s down on the table saw since I didn't feel like going to the store). I was able to also straighten up the walls since I built mine square.

I am expecting my HVAC guy on Tuesday. At this point the new circuit in the exercise room is run, all outlets and can lights are operational.

I have also run all of the wire in the Lounge. The outlets are all hooked up. Since the wire is 12/2 and a bit thicker I need to pick up some larger wire nuts so I can hook up the switches safely. Will pick those up tomorrow. Once the switches are connected I will install the 20A breaker. All of the wire is run for the Wall Sconces, however I capped off the lead wires in the first sconce so I can turn on the breaker once installed and use the outlets while working.

Until next time.
[Reply]
kelmac07 05:55 PM 08-23-2009
Lookin' good... :-)
[Reply]
dogface_313 01:33 PM 09-19-2009
This looks awesome. Need new pictures!
[Reply]
McSmokey 01:43 PM 09-19-2009
Awesome Project can't wait for more Pics Subscribing Now
[Reply]
Page 4 of 5