Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum Mobile
All Cigar Discussion>Pleasently surprised by pectin
neoflex 08:43 PM 02-11-2010
So I I had a Tat East Coast and a RP Decade that I accidentally dropped out of my cabinet from about 3 ft off the ground and split the wrappers on both and I also received a stick in a trade a couple months back that must have gotten damaged in transit and was in horrible shape. Cracks and splits all over the place but I decided to keep it although I questioned it's smokability. So yesterday morning after dropping the Tat and Decade while refilling my Oasis I got a bug up my @ss to try the Pectin thing. So after a short trip to the grocery store I was an instant torcedor:-) Not really but still oddly enjoyable. Fast forward to today. Had to run to the Butcher to grab meat for dinner and decided to take the stick that before repairing it you would swear it did a tour overseas. To my surprise the thing smoked perfect and the dozen or more rips and cracks that I repaired with pectin never caused an issue or peeled back up. I am now a firm believer in Pectin as a great solution to damaged wrappers. I will no longer sweat a little wrapper damage in the future.
[Reply]
issues 08:47 PM 02-11-2010
Huh, never heard of Pectin until this thread...

May have to try and find some for stuff like this.

Thanks for the info John!!! :-)
[Reply]
eber 09:23 PM 02-11-2010
indeed the stuff is great, just make sure you get the "liquid" version, no mixing needed :-)
[Reply]
Emjaysmash 09:27 PM 02-11-2010
I got some pectin from TriShield, and let me tell you, it has been a LIFE SAVER. I just ejoyed a RASS and a LGC Series R, both that had wrapper damage yesterday, and the smoked like a dream today. Seriously, it brings life back to those dead smokes!
[Reply]
njstone 09:39 PM 02-11-2010
I use pectin whenever I have a wrapper tear, even if it seems minor. It works amazingly well. A couple weeks ago I had an Illusione that had been totally messed up--many of the friends I know would have tossed it. But I used the "cigar glue" and it smoked just fine! The wrapper curled here and there, but it was a great cigar nonetheless.
[Reply]
markem 09:40 PM 02-11-2010
Watch the site and someone may make another batch for sale. Wish I had bought some. I mix my own and am not very good at mixing the tiny amounts for fixing a small tear.
[Reply]
South Shield 10:00 PM 02-11-2010
Hopefully Mean Darrell can chime in, he performed surgery on a cigar during a HERF with pectin.

He took a cigar that looked like someone put a firecracker down the middle and made it smokeable.

but being mean Darrell after he fixed it for Aaron he beat him over the head with it.
[Reply]
bobarian 10:05 PM 02-11-2010
Originally Posted by South Shield:
Hopefully Mean Darrell can chime in, he performed surgery on a cigar during a HERF with pectin.

He took a cigar that looked like someone put a firecracker down the middle and made it smokeable.

but being mean Darrell after he fixed it for Aaron he beat him over the head with it.
There is always a bottle of pectin in the BABOTL Herf pass box. I keep it in there for last minute repairs. :-)
[Reply]
South Shield 10:08 PM 02-11-2010
Originally Posted by bobarian:
There is always a bottle of pectin in the BABOTL Herf pass box. I keep it in there for last minute repairs. :-)
good, were gonna need it at the next HERF to fix the new floors when we are done.
[Reply]
bobarian 10:17 PM 02-11-2010
Originally Posted by South Shield:
good, were gonna need it at the next HERF to fix the new floors when we are done.
Hahaha, new floors wont be in for the herf. I'm not that dumb! :-)
[Reply]
Up