Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum Mobile
Page 45 of 350
« First < 35434445 46475595145 > Last »
Health and Fitness>Pumping Iron with Zemekone and Icehog3
BigFrank 04:05 PM 01-20-2009
Originally Posted by zemekone:
i have been talking to davenportESQ about strengthening my squat, so he put a speed day and a volume day...
ya a ME and a DE split are great. I thought u meant two heavy days! :-) :-)
zemekone 05:33 PM 01-20-2009
Originally Posted by BigFrank:
ya a ME and a DE split are great. I thought u meant two heavy days! :-) :-)
just the thought of 2 heavy days make me feel sick... :-)
DavenportESQ 07:53 PM 01-20-2009
Ouch twice a week? I dont think I could handle that, leg day for me is always epic! LOL...

Pull workout
485x3 505x3 530x3
Chins - Superset w/ good mornings 4 sets
Close Grip Rows-3 sets

Quick workout, I think I spent 35 minutes warming up and working up to my heavy weights. After that is was game on. Tonights workout felt good, 530 went up quick and smooth. I think I need to change my workout days. I always feel like crap on mondays then the next 3 workouts always go well. Thinking about doing my first full meet this March.

Oh well.

I know Ive said this before but I believe in listening to my body.
From what it sounds like you are into powerlifting.....I think if monday was a shitty day workout wise (and you knew it) you could do things like work on technique, make sure u squat to parallel and pause, bench in a shirt an pause. Deadlift with really good technique.

I would do all three of these as kind of a "workout for the week" you could set really good technical paths the body could follow later in the week, plus it would be an easy day with low loading to stimiulate the CNS for the rest of the week.

Plus I have always been a believer in shaking the bones after a long weekend of debauchery
Mugen910 08:38 PM 01-20-2009
took about a week off due to someone throwing a phukin curve ball into my life but I'm back at the gym..Chest/Tri/Biceps today....and I had to throw in a 20 min run. Legs felt great even after taking so much time off. :-)
DavenportESQ 08:46 PM 01-20-2009
just the thought of 2 heavy days make me feel sick... :-)
I squat twice a week now....but my "week cycle" is actually 2 weeks. so I get 1 heavy back squat in a cycle, and 1 heavy front squat in a cycle. its pretty neat

ex Tuesday (heavy back squat day) Thursday (light front squat day)
following Tuesday (heavy front squat day) Thuesday (light back squat)

Follow? maybe?
icehog3 09:03 PM 01-20-2009
Decided to cycle off the White Flood for a bit, so I picked up some Vassive NO (never tried it). I wanted to stack it with Vassive CE, but they were out at my store, so I got some Cell Mass instead (never tried it either). Hoping a little experimenting will up the ante this week.
BigFrank 03:07 PM 01-21-2009
Originally Posted by DavenportESQ:
I know Ive said this before but I believe in listening to my body.
From what it sounds like you are into powerlifting.....I think if monday was a shitty day workout wise (and you knew it) you could do things like work on technique, make sure u squat to parallel and pause, bench in a shirt an pause. Deadlift with really good technique.

I would do all three of these as kind of a "workout for the week" you could set really good technical paths the body could follow later in the week, plus it would be an easy day with low loading to stimiulate the CNS for the rest of the week.

Plus I have always been a believer in shaking the bones after a long weekend of debauchery
Ya i feel the same way about listening to your body for sure, and yes I am a recent convert to powerlifting. I used to bodybuild but between my genetics and the fact that I love to lift heavy it was only a matter of time I guess.
I understand what you are saying, I was thinking along the same lines and putting my assistance/mil day on monday. Those workouts are usually easy and are not geared towards weight totals. Gonna finish the wave I am on before switching crap up...
sounds like we think along the same lines.

p.s. shirt benchers are sissy boys!!! :-)
Mugen910 03:36 PM 01-21-2009
Ya i feel the same way about listening to your body for sure, and yes I am a recent convert to powerlifting. I used to bodybuild but between my genetics and the fact that I love to lift heavy it was only a matter of time I guess.
I understand what you are saying, I was thinking along the same lines and putting my assistance/mil day on monday. Those workouts are usually easy and are not geared towards weight totals. Gonna finish the wave I am on before switching crap up...
sounds like we think along the same lines.

What's a shirt bencher?

I think my genetics make it easy for me to bulk up...but I want the lean look/feel. So far my life is as such HS (140s) ---College(185 muscle)---Boot Camp (143 Lean and Mean) ---Military (160 with <5% body fat)---College(180's FAT)---Present (200 FATTER) :-)

I'm only 5'6 but getting skinny and cut was the hardest thing to do. Now I don't feel too fat since I know I can do long distance runs but man I'd love to be back in the 160's to take some pressure off my knees when running.

Do I focus more on Reps or Sets?
icehog3 03:45 PM 01-21-2009
Originally Posted by Mugen910:
What's a shirt bencher?
Bao, that is a guy who wears one of the compression shirts, about 1/2 their size, to give them assistance on the flat bench.

Originally Posted by Mugen91:
Do I focus more on Reps or Sets?
I would do more reps, less time between sets, get your heart and metabolism moving.

Tried the Vassive NO for the first time today. Mixes like chit, tastes like chit, but I got a decent workout. Jury is still out.
zemekone 06:02 PM 01-21-2009
i really dont think gene rychek and scott mendleson are sissy boys :-)
smitdavi 06:06 PM 01-21-2009
Man....did reverse incline skull crushers tonight, that will make a man out of you real quick
BigFrank 06:09 PM 01-21-2009
i really gene rychek and scott mendleson are sissy boys :-)
ryan kennelly might be upset too!!! lol :-)
Mugen910 06:23 PM 01-21-2009
Originally Posted by icehog3:
Bao, that is a guy who wears one of the compression shirts, about 1/2 their size, to give them assistance on the flat bench.
:-):-)
Nick 07:05 PM 01-21-2009
I use to lift everyday in highschool. It's hard to find time full time in college and working. I get in about 3 or 4 times a week even then I usually ride a stationary bike mostly. I wish i could get back to the glory days of 275 pound bench press and 450 pound squats.

Gyms are getting so crowded now most of the time I don't even like to go, it's hard to get a proper work out.
Chris. 08:05 PM 01-21-2009
Started the day with assisted (havent done these in years and I'm just starting back on them)pull ups then chin ups. 1x10 1x10 1x8 1x8
incline bench 140x10x2 140x8
dumbell bench press 40x10 35x10 30x10
back extensions holding a 10lb plate behind my head- 3x10
and cable flys 3x12 (dont remember how many plates were on the machine)

and a couple miles on the bike to warm up

My arms were pretty wasted immediately after the pull ups. I plan to hit the gym tomorrow afternoon before driving to charlotte and focusing on legs.

Nick, I don't know about you but there is usually nobody at my gym in the early hours when most people are at work(8-12) and about 3-5, then of course after 9 there is usually nobody in there either.
zemekone 08:10 PM 01-21-2009
Originally Posted by Nick:
. I wish i could get back to the glory days of 275 pound bench press and 450 pound squats.

Gyms are getting so crowded now most of the time I don't even like to go, it's hard to get a proper work out.
you can still do that...

you just have to make your presence known... usally the guys who can bench 275 and squat 450 get there choice of stuff... (well at least i did)
Nick 09:56 PM 01-21-2009
I'm not a pushy guy the only reason I was working out that much is because of football. As soon as I stopped playing I stopped lifting and started doing more cardio type stuff.
zemekone 10:09 PM 01-21-2009
Originally Posted by Big Vito:
quoted because he just said they were sissy boys :-)
:-) i fixed it! :-)
DavenportESQ 10:26 PM 01-21-2009
you can still do that...

you just have to make your presence known... usally the guys who can bench 275 and squat 450 get there choice of stuff... (well at least i did)
I guess it depends were you workout :-):-):-)

Dunno if that goes on at Westside?!?

Its all about attitude, it doesnt matter if a guy can bench 900 or not. Most of the time guys in the strength game will be more than willing to accomodate, or help out with any questions. Especially if they can see you are working hard. Everyone notices hardwork.... That being said I wouldn't interrupt them, but for the most part lifting is like cigars, most start at the bottom and work their way up
zemekone 10:31 PM 01-21-2009
Originally Posted by DavenportESQ:
I guess it depends were you workout :-):-):-)
i guess thats true, i went to a small private school my 1st and 2nd year so my gym was small, and i was the one who worked hard...
Page 45 of 350
« First < 35434445 46475595145 > Last »
Up