Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum Mobile
Page 1 of 3
1 23 >
General Discussion>Do you do what you love for work?
Madman31 02:08 PM 04-24-2012
I was thinking about all the answers in that retire early/rich thread and some people said why retire when you love your work? Look at Warren Buffet. That makes a lot of sense. It reminded me of this speech by Jobs http://news.stanford.edu/news/2005/j...bs-061505.html

That made me google how to find what you love to do and this came up first
http://briankim.net/blog/2006/07/how...ou-love-to-do/

I can definitely see some ideas I can pursue that I feel I would love doing but financial security is always bringing me back. Anybody here manage to make good money doing what you love to do? How long did it take? What's it like?
[Reply]
icehog3 02:20 PM 04-24-2012
25+ years in and I stll like my job. Unfrotunately, I will never get rich doing it, but it provides a secure living and good retirement benefits.
[Reply]
Volusianator 02:24 PM 04-24-2012
I currently work at Time Warner Cable, do I need to say more.
[Reply]
CigarNut 02:29 PM 04-24-2012
I have been doing work in an IT-related field for about 35 years. I first started out doing application development (which I loved and did well at), then design, then expanded to networks and servers, architecture, program management and now I am back to development.

I really love what I am doing now. No people to manage anymore, decent work environment, decent employer, decent benefits. The salary is about half of what I could make in management but I have much less stress in my life now.

After many years I am finally happy with what I am doing and who I work for.
[Reply]
croatan 02:32 PM 04-24-2012
There are certain things I enjoy more, but until I can convince someone to pay me a ridiculous sum to fly around the world, eat, drink, and smoke cigars, I'm extremely happy doing what I do.
[Reply]
E.J. 02:45 PM 04-24-2012
I like my job.... I get up in the morning and come to work with a smile on my face. I enjoy my colleagues, so much so, some of us hang out socially outside of work as well.

That said, I do not love my work. I would not do what I do for free or anywhere close to free. That retirement thread had me thinking and I am firmly in the camp that I work to live, I do not live to work.

If I hit the lottery, I would not be coming to work every day. I may get a part time job at a golf course, fly shop ect....but probably not. I am pretty sure I could keep myself plenty busy without "work."
[Reply]
Steve 02:48 PM 04-24-2012
Originally Posted by E.J.:
I like my job.... I get up in the morning and come to work with a smile on my face. I enjoy my colleagues, so much so, some of us hang out socially outside of work as well.

That said, I do not love my work. I would not do what I do for free or anywhere close to free. That retirement thread had me thinking and I am firmly in the camp that I work to live, I do not live to work.

If I hit the lottery, I would not be coming to work every day. I may get a part time job at a golf course, fly shop ect....but probably not. I am pretty sure I could keep myself plenty busy without "work."
What he said, except I probably would get a "fun" job at a flyshop, etc.
[Reply]
Ogre 02:50 PM 04-24-2012
Been doing it for 20+ years. I love being a Firefighter/Paramedic
[Reply]
markem 02:54 PM 04-24-2012
I charge other people obscene amounts of money to read old books and scholarly journals. I like my work.
[Reply]
ninjavanish 02:57 PM 04-24-2012
I work in a building that contains 20-30 Million cigars...
[Reply]
68TriShield 03:00 PM 04-24-2012
I do not love my work,even as an owner.What I do like is the fact that we support many nice people and their families.
[Reply]
DMK 03:13 PM 04-24-2012
Not only do I not love what I do for work, I hate it most days.
In the past few years it has gotten worse.
I truly look forward to retirement, but I'll have to put in a few more years in Hell.
Oh, by the way, I'm a millwright at a steel mill here in little Pittsburgh.
[Reply]
Apoco 07:11 PM 04-24-2012
I like my job well enough - but I am sick of sitting behind a desk. Already. Only been in an office job (rotated through a few of them) for 2 and a half years now. Long way to go >.<
[Reply]
G G 07:20 PM 04-24-2012
Originally Posted by icehog3:
25+ years in and I stll like my job. Unfrotunately, I will never get rich doing it, but it provides a secure living and good retirement benefits.
What he said, except down here in florida they are trying to seriously screw up my retirement. And only 9 years service.
[Reply]
Hooligan 07:30 PM 04-24-2012
Been working on and off for my grandfathers flooring company since I was 16 (29 now) and now have been working 3 years straight for him. It has it's ups and downs but as long as I'm making enough for my wife to be a stay at home mommy for our daughter I'll always have a smile on my face for what I do.
[Reply]
SvilleKid 07:42 PM 04-24-2012
Originally Posted by ninjavanish:
It's a good thing you like cigars! should be enough to last you a couple months or so!
[Reply]
MajorCaptSilly 07:43 PM 04-24-2012
Originally Posted by ninjavanish:
I envy you the most! Total Willy Wonka for the cigar lover.

MCS
[Reply]
SvilleKid 07:43 PM 04-24-2012
I used to love what I did. Before the economy crashed, and the job has almost gone away!
[Reply]
MajorCaptSilly 07:46 PM 04-24-2012
Being in sales/consulting is incredibly rewarding for me as I get to meet people I really like. I've learned a lot about personality, relationships, and all kinds of psychological stuff. There are quite a few things I don't like about my job but at the end of the day, I love what I do.

MCS
[Reply]
forgop 08:53 PM 04-24-2012
I used to hate my previous career, but nearly 3 years removed from that, I'm just 5 days away from taking my last nursing final and can go home thinking I helped make someone's day somewhat better than before they came to the ER. :-)
[Reply]
Page 1 of 3
1 23 >
Up