Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum Mobile
Island (The other ones) Reviews>HendriX
RevSmoke 12:50 PM 05-08-2020
HendriX
5x52 Toro

From the Cigar Federation website: Backstory: A few months ago, I was smoking with a buddy in the cigar industry. His brand is one of the most popular boutique brands in the world...with the rating and awards to prove it!

He gives me this cigar and tells me to try it. As I'm lighting it up he says "This cigar was gonna be the top price point cigar in our portfolio. MSRP was gonna be $15. But we decided to use a little bit different wrapper, so now we have a few bundles of these to smoke ourselves."

After smoking it for a few minutes (and LOVING it!) I told him, "I've got to have these for the FedHeads! This blend is so smooth and so rich. People will go as crazy for this blend as I am!"

After a little arm twisting...he finally agreed!

1) Aesthetics: This is a fantastic looking maduro, almost dripping with oil. Veins are evident, but not a nearly pronounced as you often find in a maduro. It is truly a good-looking cigar.

2) Pre-light Construction: A well-constructed toro, firm and dense, it feels good in the hands.

3) Post-light Construction/How it smoked: A firm grey ash held tenaciously, but the burn needed the occasional touch-up as it burned a bit erratically.

4) Flavor and strength: OK, to be honest I wasn’t paying that much attention to it as I wasn’t intending to review the first one (and I will add more to this later when I smoke more of them), but I will say that I was not sad when I passed it to my son and he did nor return it. I did not realize it until later, but I guess I was kind of hoping he would keep it. So, not sure what that says, but..

5) Aftertaste/Finish: OK, to be honest I wasn’t paying that much attention to it as I wasn’t intending to review the first one (and I will add more to this later when I smoke more of them

6) Aroma: OK, to be honest I wasn’t paying that much attention to it as I wasn’t intending to review the first one (and I will add more to this later when I smoke more of them

7) General Comments: OK, to be honest I wasn’t paying that much attention to it as I wasn’t intending to review the first one (and I will add more to this later when I smoke more of them

8) Recommendation: Ditto
[Reply]
icehog3 01:19 PM 05-08-2020
I thank you for the review, Todd, though I must admit I wasn't paying attention to it. I'll pay attention to your follow up though.

I also was disappointed that there was no mention of Jimi.
[Reply]
Weelok 01:29 PM 05-08-2020
Thanks Rev for the review. I can’t explain the flavors and why I like them as stated previously for some reason, they do appeal to my palate.

That being stated, I like the Mexican Hot Chocolate more hah.

Glad you tried some though but seems they are not in your bailiwick.
[Reply]
RevSmoke 04:24 PM 05-09-2020
Originally Posted by icehog3:
I thank you for the review, Todd, though I must admit I wasn't paying attention to it. I'll pay attention to your follow up though.

Yeah, I had a mention of Jimi in there, but figured it might offend someone, so I deleted it.
[Reply]
G G 05:47 PM 05-09-2020
Originally Posted by icehog3:

Nice review?
[Reply]
icehog3 05:53 PM 05-09-2020
Originally Posted by RevSmoke:
Yeah, I had a mention of Jimi in there, but figured it might offend someone, so I deleted it.
Ironic, as I am offended that you deleted it. :-) :-)
[Reply]
Weelok 12:40 AM 05-10-2020
Smoked a HendriX to Put up the picture here.

[url=https://postimages.org/]Image
[Reply]
RevSmoke 08:33 PM 05-18-2020
OK, I have had a second one of these, so I thought I'd update the initial review.

HendriX
5x52 Toro

1) Aesthetics: As you can see from Wheelok's picture, this is a fantastic looking maduro, what you cannot see is that it is almost dripping with oil. Veins are evident, but not a nearly pronounced as you often find in a maduro – smooth as Jimi on the guitar! It is truly an incredibly good-looking cigar.

2) Pre-light Construction: A well-constructed toro, firm and dense, it feels good in the hands. It has some heft, definitely solid.

3) Post-light Construction/How it smoked: A firm grey ash held tenaciously, but the burn needed the occasional touch-up as it burned a bit erratically. 2nd one did not have the burn issues, but the ash was the same.

4) Flavor and strength: Maybe I did not pay attention to the first, but to the second I did. As to the first one, I said, “I will say that I was not sad when I passed it to my son and he did nor return it. I did not realize it until later, but I guess I was kind of hoping he would keep it. So, not sure what that says, but…” Well, the 2nd one remained either between my teeth or fingers. I enjoyed that maduro sweetness, mingled with hints of a dark coffee touched with cream, nutmeg, and hints of leather also tweaked the flavor profile at moments.

5) Aftertaste/Finish: Rich sweet tobacco hints lingered lightly for a few moments before disappearing.

6) Aroma: Snorking wasn’t a pleasant experience. There were however some nice notes of creamy, sweet, coffee that made for an enjoyable “room note.”

7) General Comments: I have a few more of these, and I do love the way they look. They even are enjoyable.

8) Recommendation: If you have opportunity to give these a try, do so. You had better like them a bit on the bolder side of medium. Is it a $15 cigar as the “hype” says it was to sell for? No! But at $6 a stick, you are getting your money’s worth.
[Reply]
RevSmoke 08:41 PM 05-18-2020
Originally Posted by Weelok:
Smoked a HendriX to Put up the picture here.

[url=https://postimages.org/]Image
For some reason, your picture does not do justice to the oiliness or how good-looking this deep, dark, toro is!
[Reply]
Weelok 08:42 PM 05-18-2020
Wonderful review and your palate is exceptional. You capture flavors I struggled to name.

Nutmeg!!!!! I get it more to the last half but it really picks up strength and is such a nice flavor. I’ve only gotten it on two other cigars, both by CigarFed. I presume it was the blender that was common between all three cigars.

The cigars are .45 ACP, Love Potion, and finally Hendrix.

Originally Posted by RevSmoke:
OK, I have had a second one of these, so I thought I'd update the initial review.

HendriX
5x52 Toro

1) Aesthetics: As you can see from Wheelok's picture, this is a fantastic looking maduro, what you cannot see is that it is almost dripping with oil. Veins are evident, but not a nearly pronounced as you often find in a maduro – smooth as Jimi on the guitar! It is truly an incredibly good-looking cigar.

2) Pre-light Construction: A well-constructed toro, firm and dense, it feels good in the hands. It has some heft, definitely solid.

3) Post-light Construction/How it smoked: A firm grey ash held tenaciously, but the burn needed the occasional touch-up as it burned a bit erratically. 2nd one did not have the burn issues, but the ash was the same.

4) Flavor and strength: Maybe I did not pay attention to the first, but to the second I did. As to the first one, I said, “I will say that I was not sad when I passed it to my son and he did nor return it. I did not realize it until later, but I guess I was kind of hoping he would keep it. So, not sure what that says, but…” Well, the 2nd one remained either between my teeth or fingers. I enjoyed that maduro sweetness, mingled with hints of a dark coffee touched with cream, nutmeg, and hints of leather also tweaked the flavor profile at moments.

5) Aftertaste/Finish: Rich sweet tobacco hints lingered lightly for a few moments before disappearing.

6) Aroma: Snorking wasn’t a pleasant experience. There were however some nice notes of creamy, sweet, coffee that made for an enjoyable “room note.”

7) General Comments: I have a few more of these, and I do love the way they look. They even are enjoyable.

8) Recommendation: If you have opportunity to give these a try, do so. You had better like them a bit on the bolder side of medium. Is it a $15 cigar as the “hype” says it was to sell for? No! But at $6 a stick, you are getting your money’s worth.

[Reply]
RevSmoke 08:44 PM 05-18-2020
Originally Posted by Weelok:
Wonderful review and your palate is exceptional. You capture flavors I struggled to name.

Nutmeg!!!!! I get it more to the last half but it really picks up strength and is such a nice flavor. I’ve only gotten it on two other cigars, both by CigarFed. I presume it was the blender that was common between all three cigars.

The cigars are .45 ACP, Love Potion, and finally Hendrix.
Sometimes I get them, sometimes it is just "a nice cigar with rich tobacco flavors that I really like." How is that for a wonderful palate?
[Reply]
longknocker 05:14 AM 05-19-2020
Great Review, Todd! :-) Personally, I Liked The Hendix Better Than The Mexican Hot Chocolate. Maybe The Chocolate Needs More Rest?
[Reply]
Up