Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum Mobile
Page 59 of 138
« First < 949575859 606169109 > Last »
All Cigar Discussion>Beginner Questions (Ask Them Here!)
guitar4001 08:58 AM 03-17-2011
Originally Posted by Trent0341:
Isaiah,
I can't answer your first question. I'm sure there are many on this forum whose knowledge far exceeds mine that can give it a go.

As far as your second question I'm not familiar with that form of calibrating your hygrometer (and it seems fairly inaccurate) but I'd search on this forum for how to do a salt test. That or use a boveda pack.

Good luck in your seasoning. The most important thing I can tell you is don't rush it. And from one noob to another head on over to the new inmate area and introduce yourself;-)
The salt test is my method of choice. I have wrapped a hygrometer is a wet paper towel as you've specified and it read 100%. I bumped it down to 98% to ensure that it wasn't overly saturated. I do not know how accurate this method is, but it seemed reasonably useful...never had a problem with that hygrometer.

One reason that your hygrometers are out of whack could be this: there are alot of cheaply made hygrometers out there that are flimsy and worthless. If you bought these cheap or if they came with a humidor, then be leary. The digital hygrometers are the way to go IMO.
[Reply]
sparkboss 12:16 PM 03-18-2011
Originally Posted by guitar4001:
it's always good to separate the flavors from the non-flavored.
apologies to pnoon but this could possibly solve another riddle in my mind

are you referring to having cigars in the same humidor? if so they were only in there temporarily and the tobacco wasnt actually touching:-)
[Reply]
OLS 12:22 PM 03-18-2011
Originally Posted by sparkboss:
very helpful information guys, i just got a little scared when the taste
of the wrapper on an acid cigar tasted just like the wrapper on a completely different category of
infused cigar, as well as the smoke. thanks guys :-)
Sometimes it is the contact and sometimes it is just in your nose. Once that infusion stuff gets
up into your sinuses, it can color everything for some time. Sniff one of those Extra Ordinary
Larrys deeply then try to go eat breakfast. Notice anything funny about your eggs?
Another thing to think about is how little the cigar smoke actually tastes like infused herbs.
75% of the taste is like cigars, but there is something extra in the smoke. Some of it is infusion
and some of it is in your nostrils. Smoke a cigarette after and it will have traces of that dang
Acid flavor. I don't really smoke em, but just like my pipe tobacco, I keep it separate.
[Reply]
NCRadioMan 12:25 PM 03-18-2011
Originally Posted by sparkboss:
apologies to pnoon but this could possibly solve another riddle in my mind

are you referring to having cigars in the same humidor? if so they were only in there temporarily and the tobacco wasnt actually touching:-)
Yes, flavored cigars should be kept in their own humidor. Acids, imo, should have a separate humidor altogether. They are so pungent, they can even influence the taste of other non-Acid flavored cigars.

It will not take long at all for Acids to affect other cigars.
[Reply]
OLS 12:30 PM 03-18-2011
Originally Posted by TheFool:
Hmm interesting. I was curious because I've noticed such a difference. Some cigars
get this very nice ember at the end (which get hidden by ash, but is still there)
while other don't have it at all. Just made me wonder I guess.
I had a cigar last night that made me think of this. It was a long and thin cigar that
I should have dried out a bit before smoking, and there was smoke going on but it was
happening inside the unburned wrapper out of sight. When it would go out, which it did
frequently, I would light it and a half an inch of cigar would turn to ash. It seems like
what you might be describing is 'tunneling' which usually indicates that your humidor is
getting too high in the humidity dept. Your hygrometer may SAY 65, but the actual humidity
could be MILES from there. Check the hygrometer calibration stickie posted at the bottom
of page 58 and I bet you have a better time of it.
[Reply]
BnBTobacco 09:29 PM 03-18-2011
I've just received a Capri Mahogany Humidor from my friend.
[Reply]
pnoon 10:07 PM 03-18-2011
Originally Posted by BnBTobacco:
:-)
Did you have a question?
[Reply]
bobarian 10:33 PM 03-18-2011
Originally Posted by BnBTobacco:
Nice review. :-)
[Reply]
thenewguy 10:47 AM 03-20-2011
I am currently deployed, and on my last deployment we used to have a ritual of having a cigar after each successful mission. I had a buddy that had a shop back home that he would buy them for us, but this go around, he's with another unit. Where are the best places online to shop, and ship overseas where the cigars arrive the freshest? And I am generally new to the cigar world, minus friends recommendations.. Any help is appreciated.
[Reply]
T.G 11:16 AM 03-20-2011
Originally Posted by thenewguy:
I am currently deployed, and on my last deployment we used to have a ritual of having a cigar after each successful mission. I had a buddy that had a shop back home that he would buy them for us, but this go around, he's with another unit. Where are the best places online to shop, and ship overseas where the cigars arrive the freshest? And I am generally new to the cigar world, minus friends recommendations.. Any help is appreciated.
Here's a list of vendors that members here have had good experiences with:
http://www.cigarasylum.com/vb/showthread.php?t=1612

You'll have to check the shipping policies for the individual vendors though, most will ship to APO/FPOs, but there are a few exceptions.

You can also get in touch with Hugh ("hotreds") or Richard ("rrplasencia") see if they can get you on the rotation of cigars that they ship out to troops.

Why not drop in over in the new inmates section and post an introduction and tell us a bit about yourself too:
http://www.cigarasylum.com/vb/forumdisplay.php?f=7

Thanks for your service and welcome.
[Reply]
guitar4001 10:56 AM 03-21-2011
PM on the way.

From my experience, the big name online retailers can get sticks to BN-level FOBs in about 8-10 days. Depending on your mail delivery system, COPs have about a 15 day wait. The condition of the cigars wasn't an issue - nothing arrived dry or unsmokable. We kept most cigars in ziplock bags or tupperware. It all worked well for us.

This was in 2009 and we didn't have as many folks there then as they do now so I dunno how things have changed.
[Reply]
timj219 11:29 PM 03-23-2011
What does it mean if a cigar "flames" when you purge it? A member here who writes some of my favorite reviews usually mentions whether the cigar he's smoking does this but I can't figure out why it matters.
[Reply]
bobarian 11:48 PM 03-23-2011
Purging is a method of ridding the cigar of tar and other impurities that can affect the taste as you get down past half way. Some will purge through a lighter flame, this often results in a large 2-4" flame as the impurities burn off.
Whether or not you use a lighter the effect is the same, but the lighter yields more spectacular results. :-)
[Reply]
NCRadioMan 02:23 AM 03-24-2011
Originally Posted by bobarian:
Purging is a method of ridding the cigar of tar and other impurities that can affect the taste as you get down past half way. Some will purge through a lighter flame, this often results in a large 2-4" flame as the impurities burn off.
Whether or not you use a lighter the effect is the same, but the lighter yields more spectacular results. :-)
Bob is wise. :-) Usually, the fresher the cigar, the more the flame.

Whatever you do, don't purge with a lighter for the first time when smoking while driving at night. The fireball will blind you for a few seconds........so I am told! :-):-)
[Reply]
thenewguy 11:15 AM 03-24-2011
If I do not currently have a humidor, until I get one (mail coming overseas takes a while) what is the best way to rig something up to preserve my cigars?
[Reply]
pnoon 11:28 AM 03-24-2011
If I do not currently have a humidor, until I get one (mail coming overseas takes a while) what is the best way to rig something up to preserve my cigars?
tupperware would be my suggestion
Posted via Mobile Device
[Reply]
bobarian 01:49 PM 03-24-2011
Originally Posted by pnoon:
tupperware would be my suggestion
Posted via Mobile Device
:-) You can also pickup a Boveda pack or water pillow from your local shop if you are storing for more than a few weeks. I prefer Tupperware over ziplocks for the added protection. :-)
[Reply]
Cornrow_Wallis 11:18 PM 03-30-2011
I was just screwing around on a website and decided to check out the FAQ because I'm bored and can't go to sleep. I ran across this quote talking about whether to leave the cello on or take it off.

"It also is great to cut your cigars with the wrappers on as it keeps the blade clean and sharp much longer."

Do people cut cigars with the cello on?
[Reply]
Bill86 11:22 PM 03-30-2011
Some people do, I tried it once and didn't like the result. With cutters like Xikar and Palio and their fantastic warranties I see no issue in the blades inevitably dulling. They replace/repair their cutters.
[Reply]
Tyler 11:27 PM 03-30-2011
I think that method is only used for dull cutters. I have a cheapie free cutter that I use this method with as it creates a clean cut. If I use it normally without the cello on then it is a bad cut and pulls on the wrapper.
[Reply]
Page 59 of 138
« First < 949575859 606169109 > Last »
Up