Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum Mobile
Page 1 of 3
1 23 >
General Discussion>Help Me Pick A Vacation, Please.
shilala 02:57 PM 10-28-2011
I've been supposed to figure out a vacation spot for Lisa and I for the last month now. So far I've come up with nothing.
I kind of thought about Hilo, Hawaii and Tahiti, but have no idea why. I don't even know what's there.

I want to go dive. I'd also like something where we can go back-country and see plantations, jungle plants, local culture and cuisine, etc. Lisa absolutely has to have a beach (or boat) and lots of alcohol. Beyond that she doesn't have any input whatsoever besides "You're in charge of the vacation".

I love the Carribean, but any kind of blue-water, jungle cliffs, almost abandoned beach, out-of-the way thing where I could snorkel shallow reefs all day for a week would be perfect. I don't need to dive, I just need to be in the water where there's plenty to see.

Any ideas or links would be awesome. Suggestions outside those parameters would be fine, but if it's not hot and on the ocean, I won't be going. I should qualify "the ocean". Reef or lagoon protected inviting ocean is what I'm after. Our next to last vacation was seven days of "you can't go in the water because it'll kill you". That's not what I'm after. I plan to be in the water every minute I can.
[Reply]
Blak Smyth 02:58 PM 10-28-2011
http://www.tikaye.com/
[Reply]
WittyUserName 03:03 PM 10-28-2011
I would tell you to come to GTMO but there are really only two ways to get here and I don't think you want to do either one.

I have been to Playa del Carman south of cancun and it was beautiful but that was before the diving. If diving is a big concern I would check out the PADI website, they have a list of resorts.
[Reply]
kelmac07 03:03 PM 10-28-2011
Ocala, Florida from 11-14 November is a good time. :-)
[Reply]
sevans105 03:04 PM 10-28-2011
My brother is over in Indonesia....he just sent some pics from a dive on Nusa Penida

Manta Point Manta ray cleaning station. Looks like a way cool place.

[Reply]
chippewastud79 03:08 PM 10-28-2011
Maui Hawai'i :-)

Plenty of snorkeling, diving to be had if you want to. Road to Hana, Iao Needle, Haleakala for scenery. :-)
[Reply]
Don Fernando 03:34 PM 10-28-2011
Costa Rica
[Reply]
shilala 03:35 PM 10-28-2011
Bora Bora looks amazing but we'd lose 2 days traveling. It'd probably be good to stay on this side of the planet.
[Reply]
Apoco 03:35 PM 10-28-2011
Key West has some fantastic diving near it. I went on a night dive and got to swim with a sea turtle (that thing was frikken HUGE).

Grand Cayman has some good snorkeling. Never tried to do diving while I was down there...didn't feel the need to :-)
Posted via Mobile Device
[Reply]
shilala 03:37 PM 10-28-2011
I've been to the Keys a few times, Alex. Got to dive with the turtles, too. :-)
I also got to go nose to nose with a 700 lb. Grouper. Scared the crap out of me.
[Reply]
sevans105 03:40 PM 10-28-2011

Hawaii trip....lots of turtles.
[Reply]
Stevez 03:48 PM 10-28-2011
Many years ago I did research for a surprise vacation for my wife for our 20th anniversary. I was very interested in diving, although had never done it. I settled on Turks and Cacos as it is supposedly a fantastic diving destination. Has something called "the wall" that has a massive drop off that is supposedly very cool. Long story short, my wife got very sick and I had to cancel and we never went, but I'd suggest looking at it. Good luck! Steve
[Reply]
jonumberone 03:52 PM 10-28-2011
Scottie, what time of year are you looking to go?
[Reply]
shilala 03:55 PM 10-28-2011
Originally Posted by jonumberone:
Scottie, what time of year are you looking to go?
Sometime in January, Dom. Probably leave around the 14th.

You guys have great ideas, I'm glad I asked!!!
I'm falling in love with Grand Cayman right now, but I'm going to look into every single suggestion. :-)
[Reply]
Ogre 03:57 PM 10-28-2011
:-):-)
Originally Posted by kelmac07:
Ocala, Florida from 11-14 November is a good time. :-)
:-)
[Reply]
jonumberone 04:00 PM 10-28-2011
I have a lot of thoughts and experience with the places and type of trips you mentioned,
I will put together a PM tonight! :-)
[Reply]
JackSchwartz 04:03 PM 10-28-2011
Originally Posted by chippewastud79:
Maui Hawai'i :-)

Plenty of snorkeling, diving to be had if you want to. Road to Hana, Iao Needle, Haleakala for scenery. :-)
I'll second Maui. Was there last February. Did a ton of snorkeling, drove the crazy Road to Hana and watched the sunrise on top of Mount Haleakala.

Not sure when you're planning on going on vacation but if you go to Maui in Feburary that's when the humpback whales go there to give birth. IT IS AWESOME. Whales jumping out of the water everywhere. And don't worry, plenty of alcohol in Maui. :-)
[Reply]
DPD6030 04:04 PM 10-28-2011
Scott...Grand Cayman has an Lcdh :-) beautiful beach but seemed $$$$ to stay. I don't think I've seen a single all-inclusive there.

Jamaica I really didn't like...Ocho Rios just not for me. I hear other parts are much nicer.

Mexico I've been to Cozumel about 4 times. Great scuba and snorkel. Never tried an all-inclusive there yet. Tulum...I've stayed at Dreams Tulum. Far away from just about everything. Good food, drinks and people. Beach was so-so and snorkeling right there not so much.
Posted via Mobile Device
[Reply]
chippewastud79 04:07 PM 10-28-2011
Originally Posted by shilala:
Sometime in January, Dom. Probably leave around the 14th.

You guys have great ideas, I'm glad I asked!!!
I'm falling in love with Grand Cayman right now, but I'm going to look into every single suggestion. :-)
January is prime whale season in Hawai'i. :-)
[Reply]
shilala 04:25 PM 10-28-2011
A Maui trip sounds awesome, but it's awful big and bustly.
Cayman is smaller and more cozy, or at least they play it that way. The snorkeling there seems to be really decent and I did find some all-inclusives, even if I wasn't very impressed.

Check out this Tahiti page. The big picture on top is the kind of thing that really turns me on. Small, hardly any people, no thoughts about having to drive for miles to go see stuff, that sort of thing.
The pics of Bora Bora just kinda hypnotize me.

The only reason I'm not just jumping on the Bora Bora thing is that it's so far away and it's going to cost us an arm and a leg. I'm sure you guys can tell me something ballpark that will work.
[Reply]
Page 1 of 3
1 23 >
Up