Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum Mobile
Page 254 of 270
« First < 154204244252253254 255256264 > Last »
Good Eats>What's in your smoker?
T.G 07:41 AM 09-21-2016
Originally Posted by Chainsaw13:
Ok, if you're looking only to cure the outside, and not all the way through then equilibrium curing won't help you out much. But may be something worth looking into, as it guarantees you won't oversalt.
I'll look into that method. Thanks for the tip.

---

Interesting. I already use what is essentially the equilibrium method for fermenting vegetables, why the heck it never occurred to me to use it for meats before you mentioned it will remain one of life's little mysteries.
[Reply]
T.G 07:57 AM 09-21-2016
Originally Posted by jonumberone:

Despite the 10 hour cook, the pig had zero smoke flavor. I didn't expect a ton of smoke since I was using the Traeger, but didn't think zero was a possibility.
I was looking for something that resembled bbq and wound up with roasted pig. Not a bad thing, but not what I was expecting. I would've had a dipping sauce and some different sides had I known.
Don't the Traeger's have a way to adjust the temp of the smoke setting or the smoke of the temp settings? I seem to vaguely recall something about that.

My pellet grill is from a different manufacturer, so that's all I really remember about the Traeger controller.
[Reply]
jonumberone 06:07 AM 09-22-2016
Originally Posted by T.G:
Don't the Traeger's have a way to adjust the temp of the smoke setting or the smoke of the temp settings? I seem to vaguely recall something about that.

My pellet grill is from a different manufacturer, so that's all I really remember about the Traeger controller.
Yes, there is a way to adjust it, but I don't think that was the issue.
I just think there was no way for the smoke to penetrate the skin.
The only opening in the cavity was small, about the size of a grapefruit.
I think the next attempt I'll have them butterfly the pig, this will give the inside much more exposure to the smoke.
I saw somewhere that a pig that has been butterflied can still be tied in the racing position, but obviously it won't work on a spit.
Doing it this way might give me the results I'm after, both flavor and presentation wise.
[Reply]
T.G 07:03 AM 09-22-2016
Ah, makes sense. Thanks.
[Reply]
StuartIsRelaxed 07:22 PM 09-25-2016
I've taken up smoking cream cheese, jalapenos and habaneros, and peppercorns!
[Reply]
Porch Dweller 06:21 AM 09-26-2016
Peppercorns sounds interesting. What's your method for doing them?
[Reply]
pnoon 08:03 AM 09-26-2016
Originally Posted by Porch Dweller:
I would think peppercorns should be cold-smoked - like other nuts and seeds.
[Reply]
jonumberone 11:56 AM 09-26-2016
Originally Posted by Porch Dweller:
Originally Posted by pnoon:
I would think peppercorns should be cold-smoked - like other nuts and seeds.
Definitely cold smoke. I use a pellet maze to generate the smoke, and I use a piece of window screen to keep them from falling through the grate of the PBC. Have also smoked sea salt this way.

Here's a pic I took the last time I did salt.

[Reply]
T.G 07:37 AM 09-27-2016
Got roped into cooking for an event at work yesterday.

Attached: w20160926_093132.jpg (82.8 KB) w20160926_144207.jpg (94.2 KB) w20160926_162115.jpg (69.3 KB) w20160926_163042.jpg (90.8 KB) w20160926_163342.jpg (87.4 KB) 
[Reply]
Porch Dweller 07:43 AM 09-27-2016
:-)
[Reply]
jonumberone 06:32 AM 09-28-2016
Looks great, Adam. I want to dive right into that bucket of pickled veg.
[Reply]
E.J. 09:02 PM 10-01-2016
Smoked & then grilled some NY Steaks that I marinated in some prepackaged Jack Daniels honey teriyaki bag. Actually turned out pretty tasty. Was going to take a photo, had some peppers on there as well, but the Little One was HUNGRY and getting on me about eating(mom was at work, you know nurse hours)...

Nice meal, too bad the Utes chit the bed.
[Reply]
mahtofire14 05:56 PM 10-06-2016
Did my first tri tip last weekend. Smoked at 220 using cherry wood til internal temp was around 135. Used a personal rub mix I use on beef. I have to say this is one of the best cuts of meat I have ever smoked. Unbelievable tenderness and juiciness. Definitely will be doing more of these.
[Reply]
357 12:17 PM 11-23-2016
I chipped in on a half cow recently and specifically asked the butcher for tri-tip. It's still in the freezer. I will use the above post as a guide for when I'm ready to take that leap.

I have a turkey that's been in brine since last night. When I get home it'll be spatchcocked, dried, rubbed with olive oil and my homemade poultry rub (above and beneath the skin) and put into the fridge until tomorrow. Then it'll get smoked in my UDS and lastly broiled in the oven to crisp up the skin. I'll try to get some pics along the way.
[Reply]
mahtofire14 01:50 AM 11-24-2016
Originally Posted by 357:
I chipped in on a half cow recently and specifically asked the butcher for tri-tip. It's still in the freezer. I will use the above post as a guide for when I'm ready to take that leap.

I have a turkey that's been in brine since last night. When I get home it'll be spatchcocked, dried, rubbed with olive oil and my homemade poultry rub (above and beneath the skin) and put into the fridge until tomorrow. Then it'll get smoked in my UDS and lastly broiled in the oven to crisp up the skin. I'll try to get some pics along the way.
Just make sure you keep an eye on the internal temp and you will be fine. Mine only took about 50 minutes to reach 130 and I pulled it out around 132 and let it rise to 135 while it rested. Also make sure you slice against the grain. Otherwise you will have very chewy meat. Also trim most of the fat off. Since it's a quick smoke you won't be rendering the fat like you do with long smokes like brisket for example.
[Reply]
kydsid 06:21 AM 11-24-2016
Turkey!

https://flic.kr/p/PybvzP
[Reply]
kydsid 06:45 AM 11-24-2016
Image20161124_075447 by kydsid, on Flickr
[Reply]
T.G 08:18 AM 11-24-2016
Originally Posted by 357:
Something to understand about Tri-Tip is that, once butchers started offering it on it's own as a cut and not chucking it into the meat grinder, it was traditionally never smoked. Always grilled.

Smoked isn't bad, it's a great cut that will often come out fantastic no matter what so long as you don't over cook it, but grilling is the way to go.

Here's some pointers on the traditional method
http://amazingribs.com/recipes/beef/...ip_steaks.html
[Reply]
mahtofire14 03:01 PM 11-28-2016
Something to understand about Tri-Tip is that, once butchers started offering it on it's own as a cut and not chucking it into the meat grinder, it was traditionally never smoked. Always grilled.

Smoked isn't bad, it's a great cut that will often come out fantastic no matter what so long as you don't over cook it, but grilling is the way to go.

I love that site.....been reading and using their tips and techniques for years.
[Reply]
pnoon 04:10 PM 11-28-2016

Originally Posted by mahtofire14:
I love that site.....been reading and using their tips and techniques for years.
:-)
[Reply]
Page 254 of 270
« First < 154204244252253254 255256264 > Last »
Up