Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum Mobile
Page 55 of 138
« First < 545535455 565765105 > Last »
All Cigar Discussion>Beginner Questions (Ask Them Here!)
icehog3 02:38 PM 02-17-2011
Originally Posted by Wallbright:
Just first class so for three packages today it was $8 total.
That's the difference, Tyler, the vast majority here send their cigars Priority mail. :-)
[Reply]
Tyler 03:18 PM 02-17-2011
Whats the difference? It arrives in the same time?
[Reply]
14holestogie 03:29 PM 02-17-2011
Priority Mail gets there in 2-3 days max. (I've seen a lot of mine in state or nearby get there next day) First class can take up to a week.
[Reply]
NCRadioMan 03:32 PM 02-17-2011
It's a courtesy to the person you are sending it to, to use priority mail w/ dc#.
[Reply]
bobarian 03:38 PM 02-17-2011
I use Priority unless it is in the same zone. In the same zone First Class takes 1 day. For bombs FC is also ok IMHO, unless you want a DC then Priority is the only option. But most MAW's and passes should be sent Priority so you can provide a confirmation number.
[Reply]
T.G 03:53 PM 02-17-2011
1st class can take up to 5 working days to cross the country, typically, though it takes 2-3. Priority takes 2-3 days, and often arrives in 2. Priority mail will trump 1st class bins for space on the planes and trucks too.

!st class is limited to 13oz, Priority is 80lbs max. There are some new A-rate and B-rate boxes that are limited to lower weights and cost less to ship.

If you purchase priority postage online from the USPS website, not only do you get a discount on the rate, you get the DC number included for free. The USPS does not offer the ability to purchase 1st class postage online, you have to go to a 3rd party for that, and there are typically setup or equipment fees and/or the requirement to maintain a funded account balance with them. DC numbers also cost extra for 1st class - $0.75 at the counter and $0.19 if applied via the USPS ship manager standalone software.

Priority is just very convenient for a lot of people. USPS will give you flat rate boxes for free, deliver them directly to your house if you want, whatever fits in the box ships, weight is generally irrelevant, so you don't need a scale, you can print the paid postage label from any computer with no special hardware and no extra fees, and, since it's a traceable label, you do not need to hand packages weighing over 13oz directly to a postal service employee, you can simply drop them in the big blue parcel boxes or parcel drop at the post office.

I use both, it just depends on the situation and how much I'm sending. 1st class costs me less, but it can be a PITA.
[Reply]
icehog3 06:55 PM 02-17-2011
Originally Posted by 14holestogie:
Priority Mail gets there in 2-3 days max. (I've seen a lot of mine in state or nearby get there next day) First class can take up to a week.
This.

Originally Posted by NCRadioMan:
It's a courtesy to the person you are sending it to, to use priority mail w/ dc#.
And this.
[Reply]
Flynnster 04:24 PM 02-18-2011
I'm feelin dumb asking this, but that's what this thread is for right?

So I was wondering how I light this? Since the foot is covered. And how do I cut it since it has a little pig tail type thing on it.
Thanks yall!
[Reply]
pnoon 04:45 PM 02-18-2011
Ignore the pigtail. Cut it like you would if the cap were like any other cigar.
Light the foot like you would any other cigar.
[Reply]
nayslayer 05:32 PM 02-18-2011
yeah, cut the tail end off
[Reply]
CigarNut 06:42 PM 02-18-2011
Sometimes these "first-draw-wrapper" cigars are quite good as you get an extra burst of flavor from the wrapper when you light it.
[Reply]
Tyler 08:43 PM 02-20-2011
I have my boxes of cigars in a 52QT coolerdor and recently the humidity has been showing up on the hygrometer as over 70%. I use KL instead of beads so please do not respond to this if you are against KL or anything and will take this off topic or whatever. My question is that since I removed the KL it is now at 65% humidity.

My question is would it be okay to not have any humidification device in the cooler or eventually would it need something to sustain it as the humidity lowers and drops due to the weather? I prefer my humidors at 63-65% and it seems to me that is maintaining at that humidity right now.
[Reply]
NCRadioMan 08:44 PM 02-20-2011
Yes. I have several coolers where the cigars themselves provide enough humidity that they need nothing else. Coolers hold humidity better than humidors. Eventually you may need to add the humidification media back but I have gone about a year with no problems and rock steady 64%.
[Reply]
nayslayer 08:46 PM 02-20-2011
well, i guess i'd have to say to limit the kl in your humidor, or just monitor the rh when the kl isn't in the cooler.Maybe try a smaller container for your Kitty litter..less surface area
[Reply]
Bill86 08:58 PM 02-20-2011
IMO the problem is you want consistent humidity. Do whatever you can to keep the humidity between 60-65 that is all I will say. I prefer RH beads yada yada yada yada.

With those covered foots it may just be me but I get annoyed torching them for an extra 10-15 seconds so I just take Xikar MTX scissors and cut off the covered foot. Makes lighting them quicker.
[Reply]
Brutus2600 09:01 PM 02-20-2011
I don't blame you for clipping the covered foot Bill, however personally for me I like that initial puff of 100% wrapper. It gives you an interesting flavor profile of JUST the wrapper, although it is annoying having to light it twice :-)
[Reply]
Bill86 09:10 PM 02-20-2011
Originally Posted by Brutus2600:
I don't blame you for clipping the covered foot Bill, however personally for me I like that initial puff of 100% wrapper. It gives you an interesting flavor profile of JUST the wrapper, although it is annoying having to light it twice :-)
:-) I mean I only recently got that idea of cutting the covered foot off. I've tried it both ways and it's interesting to smoke with the covered foot on for the first time. After that eh....I'd rather just get to the smoke and save some time.

I kinda got it from the Viaje Summerfests, with the huge uncovered foot. Took the MTX scissors and lopped that off making a summerfest only last 1.5 hours instead of 2 hours. Great cigar but 2 hours is a bit much for me.
[Reply]
Flynnster 09:14 PM 02-20-2011
Originally Posted by Bill86:

With those covered foots it may just be me but I get annoyed torching them for an extra 10-15 seconds so I just take Xikar MTX scissors and cut off the covered foot. Makes lighting them quicker.
Thank for the heads up! I think on this one I will try it with the covered foot, but i'll try the other option on the next one!
[Reply]
Tyler 09:30 PM 02-20-2011
Thanks for the advice fellas. I was a little weary about storing the cigars without a humidification device but it sounds like they will be fine on their own and I just have to monitor it. Thanks again.
[Reply]
thecatch83 11:06 PM 02-20-2011
What's the logic behind leaving cigars in a sealed box inside your humidor, coolidor or taking them out and letting them age in a cedar tray for example? In addition, what about sealed tubos? Leave them in, take only the caps off etc.........thanks in advance!
[Reply]
Page 55 of 138
« First < 545535455 565765105 > Last »
Up