Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum Mobile
Page 52 of 138
« First < 242505152 535462102 > Last »
All Cigar Discussion>Beginner Questions (Ask Them Here!)
icehog3 02:09 PM 12-30-2010
Originally Posted by timj219:
My bad you're right. This isn't an appropriate thread for a joke like that. But I couldn't help myself. Every time I look at the R&J (non CC) cedros in my humi a picture flashes through my brain of lighting one with the cedar still on it. Not because I think it's a good idea but because I have an infantile mind. :-)

The original question does bring another question to mind though. I wonder if those cedar wrappers would make good spills for lighting the cigars?
Last summer I was pretty "lit" at a friend's home on his pitch black deck herfing with a few of the boys. He handed me a cigar, I tried to light it half a dozen times before I said that I couldn't get any kind of draw, the wrapper must be bad. Handed it to him, he lit up his flashlight and sure enough, showed me it was a Romeo y Julieta.....En Cedros. :-)
[Reply]
staminator 07:40 PM 12-30-2010
Originally Posted by timj219:
Not many people realize that in order to get the full benefit you need to leave the cedar on while smoking.
Cute
[Reply]
staminator 07:43 PM 12-30-2010
Originally Posted by guitar4001:
it looks pretty and gives a slight cedar taste to the smoke.
Seems logical. The reason I ask is because I haven't really tasted that before. Maybe with some age, the cigars might take on that slight taste.
[Reply]
T.G 10:08 PM 12-30-2010
Originally Posted by icehog3:
Last summer I was pretty "lit" at a friend's home on his pitch black deck herfing with a few of the boys. He handed me a cigar, I tried to light it half a dozen times before I said that I couldn't get any kind of draw, the wrapper must be bad. Handed it to him, he lit up his flashlight and sure enough, showed me it was a Romeo y Julieta.....En Cedros. :-)
Good thing he didn't hand you a Romeo No. 2...

...or a hotdog.
[Reply]
J.W. 10:27 AM 01-10-2011
I have smoked 30/40 Hemingways by Fuente. What in his line would be next to these at a little less price?

J.W.
[Reply]
T.G 11:56 AM 01-10-2011
Originally Posted by J.W.:
I have smoked 30/40 Hemingways by Fuente. What in his line would be next to these at a little less price?

J.W.
Nothing is going to be a direct match for the profile of the Hemingway line, and some of them are more unique than others due to their shapes (the Work of Art for example), but the 8-5-8 has some similar flavors at a slightly lower price.
[Reply]
BryanB 04:20 PM 01-11-2011
Tat Reserva 7th
Posted via Mobile Device
[Reply]
icehog3 05:14 PM 01-11-2011
Random witty response.
Posted via Osmosis
[Reply]
jesseboston81 05:16 PM 01-11-2011
Originally Posted by icehog3:
Random witty response.
Posted via Osmosis
Oh no, the icehog bot is bugging out again--someone needs to restart it.
[Reply]
Stephen 10:51 AM 01-13-2011
If this question has been asked in here I apologize in advance. Been buying some five packs and, due to the design of my humidor combined with its current contents, I believe I'd be able to make some more room if I stood them on end rather than laying them flat like I do now. Haven't done this yet as I don't know how this would affect the cigars (if at all). Question is, would there be any harm in standing them on end or should I leave them lying flat as they are now? Thanks for all your help.
[Reply]
pnoon 10:57 AM 01-13-2011
In and of itself, standing them on end won't hurt them.
However, it might be more difficult to find things. And they might get damaged should they topple.
Posted via Mobile Device
[Reply]
T.G 11:04 AM 01-13-2011
Originally Posted by Stephen:
If this question has been asked in here I apologize in advance. Been buying some five packs and, due to the design of my humidor combined with its current contents, I believe I'd be able to make some more room if I stood them on end rather than laying them flat like I do now. Haven't done this yet as I don't know how this would affect the cigars (if at all). Question is, would there be any harm in standing them on end or should I leave them lying flat as they are now? Thanks for all your help.
Barring any accidents... aside from possibly making identification difficult and running the likelihood of chipping up the feet of uncelloed cigars if you move them around much, nah, it won't hurt anything.

I don't personally care much for vertical storage of loose cigars because I find it clumsy, pull one or two out, the whole forest falls over. The exception in my case is that I do store sealed mazos (the cellophane wrapped bricks of 20-25 cigars) whichever way they fit better; on their side or on their foot, with longer cigars typically ending up on their side.

A jar humidor would allow you to store them vertically without the "forest falling over" (and possibly damaging cigars in the process) when you remove a cigar, but, all the other issues still remain.
[Reply]
Chris. 12:13 PM 01-13-2011
I store bundles vertically. Singles are a bit tougher like everyone said, with the likelihood of damage.

It shouldn't make them any less smokable than you horizontal cigars since they are all in the same, controlled environment.
[Reply]
Stephen 12:13 PM 01-13-2011
Thanks for the responses! Just to clarify, that the cigars themselves are cellophane wrapped together in bricks of five, as well as individually wrapped inside each brick. My plan was to store the five packs together, then when the five pack was open to distribute the other four elsewhere into the humidor.
[Reply]
chippewastud79 06:25 PM 01-13-2011
Originally Posted by Stephen:
Thanks for the responses! Just to clarify, that the cigars themselves are cellophane wrapped together in bricks of five, as well as individually wrapped inside each brick. My plan was to store the five packs together, then when the five pack was open to distribute the other four elsewhere into the humidor.
That sounds like a grand idea. :-)
[Reply]
WNY 03:03 PM 01-19-2011
Hey guys, got a question I'm sure has been covered before but if you would not mind answering it again for me that would be greatly appreciated.

Humador set up.

So I bought me a humador(50 count). Am in the process of setting it up by spraying the inside of it down with the distilled water. Once every 12 hours. This has been going on for 3 days now. i am noticing that the humador is hard as hell to open up now. I have to really pull on the top to get it opened up. Now I understand that this is simply the wood expanding to take in the water and that is fine. Today I woke up and went to check it to spray it down again but I did not as the humidity in there was at 75.

So here is the question.

Am I correct in doing the following:

I have not sprayed it down today due to the high humidity factor I found this morning. I am thinking maybe I leave the humador open a crack. Let the RH drop a bit and maybe give the wood a little time to breath and let the swelling go down a bit. I'm thinking keep a vigilant eye on it and when I notice the RH drop down to say 60 or 65 (hopefully the swelling has gone down) start the spray process again and bring the RH back up slowly. I think It swelled the way it did because I may have been over spraying the inside of it with water.

If the sticking is not even a problem at all that will eventually fix itself maybe this will not even be necessary, I can just leave the box closed and not add water again till I notice the RH drop to about 70 then see if it stabilizes at that for a couple of days.

I'm not trying to rush the process here I just want to do it right the first time before I go loading it up with cigars.

Thanks ahead of time guys I appreciate it.
[Reply]
NCRadioMan 03:18 PM 01-19-2011
Spraying the humidor down can be dangerous as you can warp the cedar. Hopefully you are ok in this situation. If I were you, I would go ahead and load the cigars in without humidification until the rh drops into the mid to low 60's. Then add the humidification media of your choice and go from there. I have seasoned most of my humidors in 2-3 days.

The lid should loosen up when the wood drys just a bit.

:-)
[Reply]
bobarian 04:09 PM 01-19-2011
How to properly season your humidor. http://www.cigarasylum.com/vb/showthread.php?t=620

There is also a sticky on calibrating your hygrometer. http://www.cigarasylum.com/vb/showthread.php?t=619
[Reply]
WNY 04:21 PM 01-19-2011
Thanks for that link. I read that. However I did so after already having started the process so I just kept on with what I was doing. It just seems that I may have sprayed a bit too much into it the last time i sprayed it. It's nothing to bad It's just that now the lid is a bit tough to open.
[Reply]
icehog3 06:38 PM 01-19-2011
Originally Posted by WNY:
Thanks for that link. I read that. However I did so after already having started the process so I just kept on with what I was doing. It just seems that I may have sprayed a bit too much into it the last time i sprayed it. It's nothing to bad It's just that now the lid is a bit tough to open.
Did you warp the wood near the lid? This might create problems down the line hen it dries back out.
[Reply]
Page 52 of 138
« First < 242505152 535462102 > Last »
Up