Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum Mobile
Page 51 of 138
« First < 41495051 525361101 > Last »
All Cigar Discussion>Beginner Questions (Ask Them Here!)
Bill86 08:47 PM 12-25-2010
http://www.cigarasylum.com/vb/showthread.php?t=620

Give that a read, should answer all your questions.
[Reply]
guitar4001 09:41 AM 12-26-2010
Originally Posted by davidletteney:
Hey,

I'm fairly new to cigars and my brother, who knows a lot, got me a humidor. How does one season a humidor?

And on a completely separate note, being relatively new to cigars, I have found that one of my favorites so far is the Brickhouse Churchill. I was wondering if the yall have any suggestions for cigars to try that are similar to the Brickhouse, or not, whatever is good.

Thanks
David
welcome to the site. whereabouts are you from in NC?

Head over to the "inmate processing area" and hit up the sampler thread for some new smokes.
[Reply]
Ogre 09:45 AM 12-26-2010
Originally Posted by davidletteney:
Hey,

I'm fairly new to cigars and my brother, who knows a lot, got me a humidor. How does one season a humidor?

And on a completely separate note, being relatively new to cigars, I have found that one of my favorites so far is the Brickhouse Churchill. I was wondering if the yall have any suggestions for cigars to try that are similar to the Brickhouse, or not, whatever is good.

Thanks
David
As for cigars, I would suggest: any Don Pepin Garcia, 601 blue, Arturo Fuente 858, AVO maduros, Oliva V. Thats just a start. There are way to many to list at once. I am sure this list will grow and grow.
[Reply]
guitar4001 09:47 AM 12-26-2010
Originally Posted by Ogre3239:
As for cigars, I would suggest: any Don Pepin Garcia, 601 blue, Arturo Fuente 858, AVO maduros, Oliva V. Thats just a start. There are way to many to list at once. I am sure this list will grow and grow.
mr orge, you have listed many of my faves...good people smoke alike.
[Reply]
CigarNut 09:52 AM 12-26-2010
Out of curiosity just what is that band and what is the stick?Is it a good stick?
Originally Posted by bobarian:
In some cases...

[Reply]
T.G 09:59 AM 12-26-2010
Originally Posted by CigarNut:
Out of curiosity just what is that band and what is the stick?Is it a good stick?
It's a Partagas 155th Anniversary Salomones from 2000, they only came in the 155th humidors, of which only 155 were made, each containing 155 cigars of 4 different vitolas.

--
Addendum: Just looked up the numbers - there were 50 salomones per humidor, so 7750 Partagas 155th salomones released.
[Reply]
guitar4001 10:03 AM 12-26-2010
Originally Posted by T.G:
It's a Partagas 155th Anniversary Salomones from 2000, they only came in the 155th humidors, of which only 155 were made, each containing 155 cigars of 4 different vitolas.
in other words, send it to me.
[Reply]
ylo2na 03:42 PM 12-26-2010
"Also, I need a cutter ....."
My suggestion is to buy a packet of single edged blades in plastic dispenser from Lowes or Home Depot. Very cheap and give you a perfect cut each time. Directions: just make a slit across the top of the cigar, not very deep. Test that you can suck air through the cigar and if you can, toast and light the cigar as usual. The biggest advantage for me is that I dont get any stray bits of tobacco, which I hate. I think someone has made a similiar plastic product which does the same thing as a razor blade. As an aside, I own every punch or cutter known to man and the razor blade works the best for me.
Ylo2na
[Reply]
davidletteney 05:48 PM 12-27-2010
Originally Posted by guitar4001:
welcome to the site. whereabouts are you from in NC?

Head over to the "inmate processing area" and hit up the sampler thread for some new smokes.
I'm in southern pines and next year i will be at NCSU.

And thanks for the suggestions
[Reply]
timj219 06:07 PM 12-27-2010
Originally Posted by ylo2na:
"Also, I need a cutter ....."
My suggestion is to buy a packet of single edged blades in plastic dispenser from Lowes or Home Depot. Very cheap and give you a perfect cut each time.
I used these for awhile until I was given a xikar as a gift. The xikar is undoubtedly safer but the single edge blade does do a beautiful job. I've even used a double edged razor blade (I shave with a DE) in a pinch but that takes a steady hand.
[Reply]
staminator 08:34 PM 12-29-2010
What is the reason that some cigars have cedar wrappings on them? Does this serve a purpose or is it just stylistic?
[Reply]
Drez 08:53 PM 12-29-2010
Originally Posted by staminator:
What is the reason that some cigars have cedar wrappings on them? Does this serve a purpose or is it just stylistic?

It could be for a few reasons really.

Some like the way it looks so it could be to make it more presentable.

Another reason could be it gives the stick a little protection.

Also it could also be so that the stick can marry some of the flavor/smell of the cedar.
[Reply]
staminator 10:07 PM 12-29-2010
Originally Posted by Drez:
It could be for a few reasons really.

Some like the way it looks so it could be to make it more presentable.

Another reason could be it gives the stick a little protection.

Also it could also be so that the stick can marry some of the flavor/smell of the cedar.
Cool. Thanks. Looking forward to smoking a My Father Cedros!
[Reply]
guitar4001 12:14 PM 12-30-2010
Originally Posted by staminator:
it looks pretty and gives a slight cedar taste to the smoke.
[Reply]
timj219 01:17 PM 12-30-2010
Not many people realize that in order to get the full benefit you need to leave the cedar on while smoking.
[Reply]
icehog3 01:37 PM 12-30-2010
Originally Posted by timj219:
Not many people realize that in order to get the full benefit you need to leave the cedar on while smoking.
Please let the noobs off the hook and tell them you are joking. :-)
[Reply]
guitar4001 01:41 PM 12-30-2010
Originally Posted by BlackIrish:
SteveDMatt is a smart man. Toasting avoids overheating and gives a more even burn.

I've begun toasting the foot and blowing on it until I've got a good even cherry before I even take a draw. It makes for a much smoother smoke and a great burn. Try it.

BlackIrish
same here
[Reply]
hscmit 01:41 PM 12-30-2010
thats pretty funny
[Reply]
timj219 01:57 PM 12-30-2010
Originally Posted by icehog3:
Please let the noobs off the hook and tell them you are joking. :-)
My bad you're right. This isn't an appropriate thread for a joke like that. But I couldn't help myself. Every time I look at the R&J (non CC) cedros in my humi a picture flashes through my brain of lighting one with the cedar still on it. Not because I think it's a good idea but because I have an infantile mind. :-)

The original question does bring another question to mind though. I wonder if those cedar wrappers would make good spills for lighting the cigars?
[Reply]
hscmit 02:01 PM 12-30-2010
Originally Posted by timj219:

The original question does bring another question to mind though. I wonder if those cedar wrappers would make good spills for lighting the cigars?
they do
[Reply]
Page 51 of 138
« First < 41495051 525361101 > Last »
Up