Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum Mobile
Page 14 of 138
« First < 4121314 15162464114 > Last »
All Cigar Discussion>Beginner Questions (Ask Them Here!)
Chingo 12:54 AM 10-18-2009
Originally Posted by NCRadioMan:
Sounds like it may have been very wet. At what rh do you store your cigars and how long had it been in there?
67% according to the digital hygro for about a month now.
[Reply]
NCRadioMan 01:05 AM 10-18-2009
Originally Posted by Chingo:
67% according to the digital hygro for about a month now.
hmmm....maybe a construction issue then.?.
[Reply]
Chingo 01:27 AM 10-18-2009
Originally Posted by NCRadioMan:
hmmm....maybe a construction issue then.?.
I'm actually suspecting my hygro now since it did read funny when I tried to calibrate it. Thanks for the tip though, I didn't know this was how over-humid cigars behaved!
[Reply]
wavescrashing 02:52 AM 10-18-2009
Originally Posted by Chingo:
I'm actually suspecting my hygro now since it did read funny when I tried to calibrate it. Thanks for the tip though, I didn't know this was how over-humid cigars behaved!
I'm not sure how you went about calibrating it, but might I recommend this tutorial regardless of the type of hygrometer(analog/digital): http://www.stogieguys.com/2006/07/st...tion-test.html

The relative humidity, temp., and moisture in your humidor will definitely affect your cigars. If they're too dry, they'll have certain issues such as burning too hot, unraveling, etc. If they're too moist, you might experience a tight draw, having to relight, or even mold.
Your issue could be loosely compared to trying to keep coals hot while barbecuing in the rain. Hope this helps,
Mike
[Reply]
Cigar_Noob 03:39 AM 10-19-2009
How do you get Tobacco Beatles? I read that if you have a bad temp in a humidor you can get Tobacco beatles..but how? I mean...we don't grow tobacco up here in Vermont..so how would I get Tobacco beatles? or is it like..pretty much come with the Cigar?
[Reply]
longknocker 07:10 AM 10-19-2009
Originally Posted by Cigar_Noob:
How do you get Tobacco Beatles? I read that if you have a bad temp in a humidor you can get Tobacco beatles..but how? I mean...we don't grow tobacco up here in Vermont..so how would I get Tobacco beatles? or is it like..pretty much come with the Cigar?
The Beetle Larvae are in many, if not all, cigars. They "Hatch" into live beetles when the temp and RH get above 75 degrees or so. That's a good reason to keep your RH & Temp. below 70. I've only had one problem with Beetles and that was when the temp. in my storage room got above 75. Some people "Freeze" all their cigars when they receive them just to be sure. Check the "Freezing Cigars" Thread.:-)
[Reply]
SilverFox 08:16 AM 10-19-2009
Originally Posted by longknocker:
The Beetle Larvae are in many, if not all, cigars. They "Hatch" into live beetles when the temp and RH get above 75 degrees or so. That's a good reason to keep your RH & Temp. below 70. I've only had one problem with Beetles and that was when the temp. in my storage room got above 75. Some people "Freeze" all their cigars when they receive them just to be sure. Check the "Freezing Cigars" Thread.:-)
:-)

If you want to know about freezing your cigars here is the thread.

http://www.cigarasylum.com/vb/showthread.php?t=7919
[Reply]
T.G 11:20 AM 10-19-2009
Originally Posted by Cigar_Noob:
Here's an article from Cigar Magazine - Summer 2008 issue on beetles.

http://www.megaupload.com/?d=Q6TD74G9
[Reply]
Cigar_Noob 05:27 PM 10-19-2009
Interesting...I wonder how my two Garcia Y Vega cigars are going!! I bought them like..4 days ago...meh...they shouldn't be eating my Cigar :-)
[Reply]
lopro 12:07 AM 10-21-2009
So, I finally got a humidor (used) and I tried calibrating the hygrometer.

I found a method online that had me fill a cup with salt and water and put that in with the hygro into a sealed ziploc bag for 8-12 hours.

So, it is now 12 hrs later and my hygro is only reading 65% opposed to the 75% expected. Now, I know that hygro's are generally off by a few percent, but is this large of a deficit normal?

(It IS an analog hygro -- the one that came with the Savoy humi...)
[Reply]
DPD6030 12:12 AM 10-21-2009
Originally Posted by lopro:

I found a method online that had me fill a cup with salt and water and put that in with the hygro into a sealed ziploc bag for 8-12 hours.

So, it is now 12 hrs later and my hygro is only reading 65% opposed to the 75% expected. Now, I know that hygro's are generally off by a few percent, but is this large of a deficit normal?

I'd ditch the analog and get a digital :-) I leave it in the bag (I actually use a tupperware dish for better seal) for 24-48 hours and if it does not read 75% then I adjust accordingly. I put a small piece of paper with +1 or -1 (or more depending how far it's off) so I know when I look at the hygro where it actually is reading
[Reply]
Chingo 12:13 AM 10-21-2009

I sealed my digital and analog hygro in a ziploc bag with a Boveda 75% humi bag. Hours later, my analog read about 60% and my digital 65%. I tried it over and over with different bags and different settings. Looks like both my hygros are way off :-)
[Reply]
T.G 12:16 AM 10-21-2009

Normal? I dunno.

Possible? Definately.

Wait 24 to 48 hours and see what it reads.

Analog hygrometers get a bad rap. Why? Becuase there are more crappy ones sold as part of humidor sets than there are crappy digital ones sold as part of humidor sets. Are they inherently crap? No they aren't. There are plenty of good analog hygrometers out there., yours just might not be one of them.
[Reply]
DPD6030 12:16 AM 10-21-2009
Oh and another note I had Western Calibre III digital ones and then went with the oregon scientific wireless ones.
[Reply]
longknocker 04:27 AM 10-21-2009
I Have 10 of The HygroSet II Adjustable Digital Hygrometers That I've Used For Over 2 years. They Work Perfectly!:-)
[Reply]
cigarchief 07:03 AM 10-21-2009
hello my fellow cigar enthusiast! I am a newbie in this website and I am just so happy to have a lot of cigar friends here.

add me up in my facebook account

http://facebook.com/cigarchief
[Reply]
RightAJ 07:17 AM 10-21-2009
Originally Posted by cigarchief:
hello my fellow cigar enthusiast! I am a newbie in this website and I am just so happy to have a lot of cigar friends here.

add me up in my facebook account

http://facebook.com/cigarchief
Go visit the New Inmate Processing area, introduce yourself!!
[Reply]
fyrftr 09:16 PM 10-21-2009
Geessh!...Noob's huh :-)

See ya ole timer:-)
[Reply]
lopro 06:59 PM 10-23-2009
So, you don't inhale cigarillos either, correct?

Treat it just like a "short-lived" cigar...?
[Reply]
Chris. 07:09 PM 10-23-2009
I dont inhale anything. :-)
[Reply]
Page 14 of 138
« First < 4121314 15162464114 > Last »
Up