Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum Mobile
Page 12 of 138
« First < 2101112 13142262112 > Last »
All Cigar Discussion>Beginner Questions (Ask Them Here!)
Chingo 01:34 AM 10-08-2009
I had an Olivia Serie G tonight and I noticed the first inch or so was pretty harsh and not that great. After that though (1/2 the way through) it was wonderful. So why was the beginning not-so-good? Is it the cigar or something I was doing? I was taking it pretty slow so I don't think I was smoking it too fast and making it burn hot either.
[Reply]
Chris. 06:05 AM 10-08-2009
IME a lot of cigars are more powerful in the beginning for about an inch. It sometimes has to do with the way you light it though. Try to make sure you don't let the flame touch the cigar when lighting. Let only the heat from the flame light the cigar. It takes more patience, but I feel that I get better flavors that way.
[Reply]
Langod 08:29 PM 10-09-2009
I have a good quality (expensive) cigar that I had clipped at the store but ever ended up smoking. How long can I reasonably expect it to stay decent kept in my 65% humidor?
Would it help it's longevity if it put it in a cellophane wrapper off another stick?
[Reply]
pnoon 08:31 PM 10-09-2009
Originally Posted by Langod:
I have a good quality (expensive) cigar that I had clipped at the store but ever ended up smoking. How long can I reasonably expect it to stay decent kept in my 65% humidor?
Would it help it's longevity if it put it in a cellophane wrapper off another stick?
I would think that as long as it's kept in stable RH like your other smokes, it should be fine for an indefinite period of time.
[Reply]
Langod 08:50 PM 10-09-2009
Originally Posted by pnoon:
I would think that as long as it's kept in stable RH like your other smokes, it should be fine for an indefinite period of time.
Excellent -- thank you.
[Reply]
N2Advnture 05:57 AM 10-10-2009
Originally Posted by pnoon:
Absolutely. Have smoked cigars 50 years old and still had legs for more age - it all depends on the cigar.
[Reply]
Chris. 07:48 AM 10-10-2009
I think you misunderstood the answer N2A. The original question was if the cigar would still be okay after clipping for long term storage. I agree with Peter.
[Reply]
N2Advnture 07:51 AM 10-10-2009
Originally Posted by Chris.:
I think you misunderstood the answer N2A. The original question was if the cigar would still be okay after clipping for long term storage. I agree with Peter.
I was agreeing with Peter as well :-)
[Reply]
Chris. 08:00 AM 10-10-2009
oh. your additional comment made it sound like you were saying that cigars in general are fine to store for long periods of time. I thought maybe you didnt see the part about it already being cut. lol oops
[Reply]
Cigar_Noob 04:00 AM 10-16-2009
Hi guys for a person who owns no cutter what are my options? I know my bud would usually just smoke Backwoods..not cap cutting required but I wanted my first Cigar to be really...authentic, so I of course bought myself some Cigars...that need cap cutting..but I can't get a cigar cutter cuz I'm not very well off...(even if you guys think its cheap) and I really don't want to wait on the cutter either..I don't know how long I can keep the cigars just sitting around, and they wheren't very expensive either :-) but anyways..guys got tips for a noob to cut his Cigar cap without one of them fancy things? I heard I can just poke a hole...is this true!?
[Reply]
DPD6030 04:07 AM 10-16-2009
Originally Posted by Cigar_Noob:
Hi guys for a person who owns no cutter what are my options? I know my bud would usually just smoke Backwoods..not cap cutting required but I wanted my first Cigar to be really...authentic, so I of course bought myself some Cigars...that need cap cutting..but I can't get a cigar cutter cuz I'm not very well off...(even if you guys think its cheap) and I really don't want to wait on the cutter either..I don't know how long I can keep the cigars just sitting around, and they wheren't very expensive either :-) but anyways..guys got tips for a noob to cut his Cigar cap without one of them fancy things? I heard I can just poke a hole...is this true!?

I would say your options are to take a sharp knife or just bite it off. I also heard of using a smaller brass case from a rifle round to "punch" a hole in the cigar.
[Reply]
Chris. 06:06 AM 10-16-2009
Go back to the cigar shop and ask them for one of theor chep cutters. Every B&M I've been to carries some sort of $3 or less cutter that works well for a while. Biting the cap off SUCKS! If you don't want to do that, then maybe shove a pen into the cap.
[Reply]
RightAJ 06:39 AM 10-16-2009
Originally Posted by Chris.:
Go back to the cigar shop and ask them for one of theor chep cutters. Every B&M I've been to carries some sort of $3 or less cutter that works well for a while. Biting the cap off SUCKS! If you don't want to do that, then maybe shove a pen into the cap.

X2

In dire situations I have also used a sharp pocket knife to cut the stick, but you may not wanna try this until you know what you're doing. It is not really a substitute for a cutter but works if you don't have one

aj
[Reply]
elderboy02 06:42 AM 10-16-2009
If you have a pocket knife, score the cap in a circle and then remove that piece. If you do it right, it will look like a punch cut.
[Reply]
Cigar_Noob 01:44 PM 10-16-2009
Hi and thanks for the advice guys. I don't know what a B&M is, perhaps someone could enlighten me? I didn't get my Garcia Y Vega's from a Cigar shop..just the local Mobile shop. I don't think they sell cutters.
[Reply]
bobarian 01:48 PM 10-16-2009
Hi and thanks for the advice guys. I don't know what a B&M is, perhaps someone could enlighten me? I didn't get my Garcia Y Vega's from a Cigar shop..just the local Mobile shop. I don't think they sell cutters.
B&M is a Brick and Mortar or regular cigar shop. Like the others said a sharp knife will work just fine.
[Reply]
Cigar_Noob 01:55 PM 10-16-2009
ahh thanks guys...but yeah we don't have a Cigar shop around here..not even a Tobacconist..we just have Gas stations.
[Reply]
bobarian 01:57 PM 10-16-2009
ahh thanks guys...but yeah we don't have a Cigar shop around here..not even a Tobacconist..we just have Gas stations.
Cigarbid.com is your friend. Also watch cigarmonster.com and joecigar.com for some good deals.
[Reply]
RightAJ 02:14 PM 10-16-2009
Some drug stores will carry cheap cutters... FYI

aj
[Reply]
Cigar_Noob 04:11 PM 10-16-2009
None of the stores I go to in my area sell these to my knowledge but I will make sure to take a look around. I have watched video's and read up on the whole cap cutting thing so if I had a sharp knife I don't feel TOO nervous about screwing it up, but anyone have or know of a simple step by step instructions to punch a hole in the cap? preferably from a "no cap puncher available" perspective.
[Reply]
Page 12 of 138
« First < 2101112 13142262112 > Last »
Up