Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum Mobile
Page 102 of 138
« First < 25292100101102 103104112 > Last »
All Cigar Discussion>Beginner Questions (Ask Them Here!)
mk05 12:49 AM 02-13-2013
Originally Posted by dragnframe:
If stored correctly, How long can cigars last?
The word "correctly" here, is ambiguous. It depends on what you're looking for in this hobby. In an airtight environment - as in a vacuum sealed box - your box could taste like the day that you bought it, even after decades' time. Although theoretical since we didn't have vacuum packing technology for boxes back then to confirm this empirically, old European vendors had been using a similar technique to preserve cigars for the long-run by wrapping the boxes in an air/water resistant parchment called glassine.

There are many schools of thought on what is the "ideal" aging method. Again, it depends on what you're looking for; You have to develop a palate and figure out what you like and dislike in a cigar. Maybe you actually like the taste of a fresh cigar, much like some oenophiles who willingly trade flavor/intensity of young wine for the strong youthful tannins. Or maybe you try some vintage cigars and find that you prefer that taste.

My advice right now would be to just smoke as many cigars as possible, and just enjoy yourself. Don't overthink it!
[Reply]
dragnframe 07:20 AM 02-13-2013
Originally Posted by mk05:
The word "correctly" here, is ambiguous. It depends on what you're looking for in this hobby. In an airtight environment - as in a vacuum sealed box - your box could taste like the day that you bought it, even after decades' time. Although theoretical since we didn't have vacuum packing technology for boxes back then to confirm this empirically, old European vendors had been using a similar technique to preserve cigars for the long-run by wrapping the boxes in an air/water resistant parchment called glassine.

There are many schools of thought on what is the "ideal" aging method. Again, it depends on what you're looking for; You have to develop a palate and figure out what you like and dislike in a cigar. Maybe you actually like the taste of a fresh cigar, much like some oenophiles who willingly trade flavor/intensity of young wine for the strong youthful tannins. Or maybe you try some vintage cigars and find that you prefer that taste.

My advice right now would be to just smoke as many cigars as possible, and just enjoy yourself. Don't overthink it!

Thanks, I starting to see this cigar is alot like drinking beer. There is a million out there to try and you wanna try them all, but as with any thing you will always have a favorite!:-)
[Reply]
dragnframe 09:36 PM 02-13-2013
Ok, another dumb question I have while I have been looking around. How do you know that a cigar is infused? If I stop at my local B & M and I grab a cigar does it say on there any where, or do I need to do my research before hand?
[Reply]
Porch Dweller 10:05 PM 02-13-2013
Ok, another dumb question I have while I have been looking around. How do you know that a cigar is infused? If I stop at my local B & M and I grab a cigar does it say on there any where, or do I need to do my research before hand?
You can do your research before hand, ask the sales staff, or simply put that sucker up to your nose and take a big whiff.
[Reply]
pnoon 10:08 PM 02-13-2013
Originally Posted by Porch Dweller:
You can do your research before hand, ask the sales staff, or simply put that sucker up to your nose and take a big whiff.
I say A or B.
C not so much.
[Reply]
AdamJoshua 02:44 PM 02-14-2013
I dont know peter I have a pretty big jew nose .. C might work for me. :-)

Fake Edit: I'm Jewish so i can say that :-)
[Reply]
chippewastud79 05:02 PM 02-14-2013
Originally Posted by AdamJoshua:
I dont know peter I have a pretty big jew nose .. C might work for me. :-)

Fake Edit: I'm Jewish so i can say that :-)
C, moreso since it is generally bad form to place your nose on a cigar you haven't purchased. :-)
[Reply]
pnoon 05:17 PM 02-14-2013
Originally Posted by chippewastud79:
C, moreso since it is generally bad form to place your nose on a cigar you haven't purchased. :-)
That was my point, too.
[Reply]
CigarNut 07:04 PM 02-14-2013
I sometimes sniff the foot of a cigar -- end-on. Near but clearly not touching my nose.
[Reply]
AdamJoshua 07:21 AM 02-15-2013
Ah but the point is that my nose is SOOOO big (how big is it???) that I wouldn't need to be within 3 feet of it to get a big whiff :-)
[Reply]
Porch Dweller 11:21 AM 02-15-2013
I didn't say tickle your sinuses with it, just take a big whiff. :-) I can do that with my nose >1" from the smoke.
[Reply]
AdamJoshua 05:42 PM 02-17-2013
Since someone asked me in PM what the slope was I did a little finger sketch to explain my experience with the slope.

Excuse the tiny writing on the iphone .. (all dates are rough estimates)

Jan 10th - Discovers Cigars
Jan 22th - Joins CA
Jan 30th - Gets S.H.I.T. herf invite, is FORCED to try new and exotic cigars (i.e., good ones)
Feb 12th ... self explanatory with added "Damn you Peter and Angel"

This my slope, minus the winador etc., etc., etc.,
Attached: slope.jpg (42.7 KB) 
[Reply]
icehog3 05:44 PM 02-17-2013
Originally Posted by AdamJoshua:
Since someone asked me in PM what the slope was I did a little finger sketch to explain my experience with the slope.

Excuse the tiny writing on the iphone .. (all dates are rough estimates)

Jan 10th - Discovers Cigars
Jan 20th - Joins CI
Jan 22nd - Joins Cigar Asylum
Jan 30th - Gets S.H.I.T. herf invite, is FORCED to try new and exotic cigars (i.e., good ones)
Feb 12th ... self explanatory with added "Damn you Peter and Angel"

This my slope, minus the winador etc., etc., etc.,
Fixed it.
[Reply]
AdamJoshua 05:49 PM 02-17-2013
grazie
[Reply]
CigarNut 05:58 PM 02-17-2013
Very cool!
[Reply]
Zane 06:26 PM 02-17-2013
Originally Posted by icehog3:
Fixed it.
According to the acronym sticky he was already correct. :-)

cA is the Magazine! :-)
[Reply]
AdamJoshua 06:31 PM 02-17-2013
Ca is the mag they get the little "a" .. never the less I put CI because i'm a retard .. :-)
[Reply]
icehog3 07:12 PM 02-17-2013
Let's get this thread back on track for beginners to ask their questions, Men. :-)

Lotsa threads to banter in elsewhere.
[Reply]
dragnframe 11:22 AM 02-19-2013
OK, I feel pretty dumb asking this, What does cc and nc stand for?
[Reply]
Remo 11:25 AM 02-19-2013
OK, I feel pretty dumb asking this, What does cc and nc stand for?
Cuban Cigar...Non Cuban
[Reply]
Page 102 of 138
« First < 25292100101102 103104112 > Last »
Up