Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum Mobile
Page 101 of 138
« First < 519199100101 102103111 > Last »
All Cigar Discussion>Beginner Questions (Ask Them Here!)
AdamJoshua 04:25 PM 02-05-2013
Thanks other Adam, and yes I noticed that after but too late to edit / delete the link.
[Reply]
T.G 04:35 PM 02-05-2013
Originally Posted by AdamJoshua:
Thanks other Adam, and yes I noticed that after but too late to edit / delete the link.
My comments about the list, it's lack of blends and how it's touted as much more than it is were directed at it, not you or the fact that you posted it. Hope it didn't come across as sounding like it was being directed at you as that was not my intention.
[Reply]
Fredo456 04:40 PM 02-05-2013
Glad you didn't, there's still some interesting reading to be done there, and links to other articles.
[Reply]
AdamJoshua 08:31 PM 02-05-2013
Hey Adam the First, nope not at all and I wasn't being sarcastic either (which is odd for me :P )

I have a question I didn't see an answer too, or I googled it wrong, why is it easy well not painful to snork a CC it's pleasing and helps you pick up the subtle aromas and tastes and if you snork a NC ... it will most likely give you the feeling of someone sticking lit matches in your sinuses?

While I'm sure not all NCs have this affect it seems a great many do, is it purely the leaf used in the CCs or some magical process of fermenting they use, you'd think anything other than the leaf is used everywhere.
[Reply]
T.G 10:51 PM 02-05-2013
Thanks, my other brother Adam, I just wanted to make sure.

As for the snorking of NC vs CC and why one burns your nostrils and the other doesn't, I don't think there is going to be one single answer / reason that covers every situation, and any given cigar could have multiple reasons.

Yes, fermentation style is a possibility (everyone does it differently), strength of the tobacco being used, be it inherent to the particular strain/varietal of tobacco or the growing conditions, soil minerals, age of the tobacco, how much of the upper priming tobacco like ligero and viso are in the cigar, etc.

Generally speaking Cuban cigars are milder than some of their NC counterparts. Comparing a Cuban cigar for strength to most Tatuajes, JdNs, Padrons, Liga Privadas, Opus X, Camacho Black, etc. Most of the time, it's just no contest, these NCs are in another world. Stronger tobaccos and craploads more high primings (the closer you get to the top of the plant, the "stronger" the leaves are).

Now, compare a Cuban cigar to, say, a Macanudo (the "original" ones), Zino, AVO (beige), NC Dunhill, Nat Shermans, NC Fonseca, etc. those are all milder NCs, a lot of shade grown capas (wrapper leaf) being used, not a a ton of ligero in the blends, these are actually much easier when snorked. If anything, some of them might not have the age of a comparable strength Cuban cigar, or vice versa. Cuban cigars have box codes, but that's just when they were rolled and boxed, not when the tobacco was picked and fermented, they are aging tobacco now prior to rolling, but how much, reports vary. NC aging of tobacco before rolling is not always the absolute that it's presented as.

Location, climate, soil and fertilizer additions to tobacco play just as much a part in the end product as they do with any other plant. Fertilize one plant, but don't fertilize the one in the next pot over and what happens? Grow one on the coast with lots of morning fog and moisture and one more inland in different soil with a greater amount of direct sunlight and an extra 10-15 degrees during the day; again, you'll get different results.

Sorry for the long answer, this thread isn't typically for that, but I hope that kind of gives you an idea, and, there's probably more to it what has been mentioned.
[Reply]
AdamJoshua 06:26 PM 02-06-2013
I figured it was a combination of things, and that it would make for a good post here, as in good information from helpful people with a great knowledge.

btw I like the Davidoff 2000s and those are "snorkable" for lack of a better term. :-)
[Reply]
AdamJoshua 07:55 PM 02-08-2013
Ok one last question. Is there a difference in buying sticks 5x5 (5 boxes of 5) instead of a box of 25, I'm guessing the only difference is you don't get them all boxed and matched, is there an advantage to buying the box such as the quality of all 25 will be the same or closer than the 5x5s ?
[Reply]
icehog3 08:16 PM 02-08-2013
Some don't like the way cigars age in the 5X5 boxes....I have had bad ones, and I have had great ones, so who knows?

I prefer cabs and SLBs over both of those, by the way.
[Reply]
Cookee 05:53 PM 02-10-2013
I noticed that end of my cigars last two or three inches is getting hot, is this due to the cigars being too lose, do I need to switch over to a punch instead of a cutter? Just curious as few of the recent cigars I had to stop smoking due to it getting too hot on the draw. I have a found a few tricks to help with it but it seems once I get to back of the cigar they don't work.

I know someone mention when I asked about draw that they said humidity could be too low, but this has happen with new and old cigars in my box. I do live in Florida could this also contribute?
[Reply]
AdamJoshua 05:56 PM 02-10-2013
Good chance you are hitting it too many times, give the cigar a chance to cool down before taking another puff, i read somewhere that once every 60 seconds or more is a good 'rate', if you hit it too much you hot box it like a cig plus you are hitting the tabac with too much heat and changing the flavor profile. (is it getting bitter as you smoke it and it gets overheated?)
[Reply]
RWhisenand 07:44 PM 02-10-2013
Good chance you are hitting it too many times...
Are you sure you have the right forum?

:-):-):-):-)
[Reply]
Cookee 07:47 PM 02-10-2013
Answer Adam's question that is one of tricks I do but when it gets to end no matter if I let it sit for several minutes when I draw in it gets too hot I feel the heat and no flavor pretty much at all or bitterness as you stated.
[Reply]
RobR1205 08:21 PM 02-10-2013
Originally Posted by Cookee:
Answer Adam's question that is one of tricks I do but when it gets to end no matter if I let it sit for several minutes when I draw in it gets too hot I feel the heat and no flavor pretty much at all or bitterness as you stated.
I've found that some cigars can be nubbed all the way to the end, and some just can't because of tar buildup or tobacco quality. When I take notes on the cigars I smoke, this is one of the criteria I score them with. Not all cigars can be taken down to the last inch or so without getting a little nasty. :-)
[Reply]
icehog3 12:35 AM 02-11-2013
Too low a humidity (too dry) can definiteely cause a cigar to burn hot. We are talking very low though, I keep my cigars around 61% RH and they burn fine.

If I have a cigar that seems obviously underfilled, I will use a punch rather than my Palio, but I am guessing that all these sticks that got too hot on you couldn't have all been underfilled, so RH is definitely something to consider.
[Reply]
Mattso3000 06:06 AM 02-11-2013
Originally Posted by Cookee:
Sometimes a good purge (exhaling through the cigar) will help with this problem.
[Reply]
dragnframe 12:42 PM 02-12-2013
I see that the cigar has a rating called ring gauge,What is that rating for?
[Reply]
T.G 12:44 PM 02-12-2013
Originally Posted by dragnframe:
I see that the cigar has a rating called ring gauge,What is that rating for?
It's the diameter of the cigar measured in 64ths of an inch.
[Reply]
dragnframe 05:04 PM 02-12-2013
If stored correctly, How long can cigars last?
[Reply]
pnoon 05:08 PM 02-12-2013
Decades
[Reply]
Fredo456 05:21 PM 02-12-2013
Forever. Although from what I read, they tend to become milder with age and that doesn't suit all cigars, especially milder ones (in the very long term).
[Reply]
Page 101 of 138
« First < 519199100101 102103111 > Last »
Up